Restarters: What's different this time?

Options
124»

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    This is my third time re-starting since I quit smoking in 2004. The first time was in early 2005. I thought the 30 pounds I gained within 45 days of quitting smoking were going to magically disappear the same way they magically seemed to appear. After all, I had never in my life had a weight problem! But they didn't. I started walking on a nearby two-mile track early every morning and in seven months, was down by 17 pounds. Then Katrina hit (I lived in the New Orleans area). I relocated to another state that didn't have a convenient two-mile track, plus I ate out a lot, and the weight came back. My son announced his wedding, and in three months I was down by 20 pounds, still ten pounds over my original weight, but quite a difference. Then came some bad times and next thing I knew, I was nearly 60 pounds overweight! I'm 5'2" so that's a LOT!

I finally became determined. I lost ten pounds in a few months, then discovered MFP in January of this year. I can't say I've stayed strictly on course the whole time, but I'm still down another 18 pounds, which is about half a pound a week on average. To be honest, I don't know what took me so long.
  • ejb06070
    ejb06070 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    ejb06070 wrote: »
    If I fail this time, I can basically kiss my dream of becoming a doctor "goodbye" since obese people are less than half as likely with those with the exact same stats to get accepted. On top of that, I'd be throwing away close to $40,000 that I used to get my Associate's and Bachelor's.

How would Admissions have a clue to your weight?

Most admissions require a picture of you with your application for medical school (I'm still not exactly sure why...). Plus, prior to admission, there is a meeting where you tell them why you're better for the school than the other 1000+ people applying. Face-to-face, business attire required. Great question though!
  • joshuapowell1989
    joshuapowell1989 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Im focusing more on moderation and preplanning than restriction.