In Need of advice.

Options

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    According to my Polar heart rate monitor, there is no difference between walking outside and walking on my treadmill. In fact, I burn more calories on my treadmill because I have it set at an incline. But I think the issue here is the OP has only been at this for one week and the sudden increase in exercise and resulting water retention is probably masking any true loss. And/or, the calorie count is not accurate and she is eating more than she thinks.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Not that you need to share this if you are not comfortable, but what are the health reasons why you need to lose weight?

Someone mentioned losing weight on a 50% carb diet...I would gain several pounds a week doing that. We are all different and some health conditions very much inform how to eating. Keep tracking and see if you can start to spot trends in what does and does not work for you.

I think that patience is probably going to be the key. One week is not nearly long enough to judge.

Why so much walking? If nothing else, that sounds like it would be hard to maintain just because it is so boring. What about adding some strength training, some swimming or whatever else you might enjoy?

you gain weight from eating too much calories!
    not from eating carbs

Now if you cant eat carbs for a medical reason or life style that is a something else.

Too MANY calories.

No, when your pituitary gland fails completely, you gain weight pretty much no matter what you do. :)

For people with medical issues, macros can make an enormous difference. I would have been stalled forever with the kind of advice you are giving.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    torchita wrote: »
    How do i open my diary??

@torchita - go to http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings and scroll down to Diary Sharing.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It takes more than a week.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Not that you need to share this if you are not comfortable, but what are the health reasons why you need to lose weight?

Someone mentioned losing weight on a 50% carb diet...I would gain several pounds a week doing that. We are all different and some health conditions very much inform how to eating. Keep tracking and see if you can start to spot trends in what does and does not work for you.

I think that patience is probably going to be the key. One week is not nearly long enough to judge.

Why so much walking? If nothing else, that sounds like it would be hard to maintain just because it is so boring. What about adding some strength training, some swimming or whatever else you might enjoy?

not from eating carbs

Now if you cant eat carbs for a medical reason or life style that is a something else.

Too MANY calories.

No, when your pituitary gland fails completely, you gain weight pretty much no matter what you do. :)

For people with medical issues, macros can make an enormous difference. I would have been stalled forever with the kind of advice you are giving.

Too much or to many...the same to me. And sorry for my English grammar it is not my mother language.

What i mean is you can eat all the carbs you want as long as you dont eat SURPLUS
    And yes when you have a medical issue it can make a difference in the fact it can slow you down...

but fact remains for everybody that you only gain weight when you eat more calories than you burn....and that has nothing to do with carbs!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

not from eating carbs

Too MANY calories.

Most if not all people who have a known pituitary failure are given daily meds for that...and some who have a dysfunctional pituitary gland causing cortisol shortages actually lose weight too rapidly....

Similar to thyroid issues the CI part of the equation is the same as if you didn't have the medical issue...it's the CO part that you have to deal with...and the meds help with that...

I do hope you are on something....cheers.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    sw777y wrote: »
    Have you tried eating every two to three hours. It dramatically boosts your metabolism. So have breakfast, then couple hours later snack, couple hours later lunch, then snack, then dinner. Hope it helps.

How often you eat doesn't mean anything. It doesn't boost your metabolism.

For some, smaller more frequent meals works and is more satisfying. For others it does no good at all and can even hurt their efforts (over eating those 'small' meals). Everyone is different but you simply can't boost your metabolism.

To the OP: It took me almost 4 weeks before I saw movement on the scale. I don't have much to lose so that might be why, it's slower. But there was a learning curve for me with weighing my foods and logging accurately. But since then I've been pleasantly surprised by the progress.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    i weight 271 lbs. MFP has me on a 1600 cal dail food plan and i walk 2 hours a day at a fast speed on my treadmill w it inclined also. MFP estimates im losing 800 calies aday from my walking. and i measure every bite of food by grams. I also discontinued all the diet and salt. but i am not losing weight.. the 2 hours of walking are so hard ut i do them every day 7 days a week. and the My diet is unposcessed food. its been a week now and i havent lost 1 lbs yet. What am i doing wrong//
    First of all stop with the 7 days a week killing yourself for 2 hrs..your body needs rest days. Second of all it can take a few weeks to see the scale move. I would suggest not weighing every week..maybe every two or once a month. It really is as simple as calories in and calories out. If you have a metabolic disease or abnormality, that can hinder weight loss. Once you know whether you have some sort of metabolic thing going on..do what needs to be done to fix it. Be kind to your body, it's the only one you get. I have serious Thyroid disease (no thyroid and cancer survivor) I am 44 and am losing every week just by weighing my food and eating the appropriate number of calories for me and exercising 3-4 times a week 35-45 minutes per session. It can be done..You CAN do this!

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Also, if you want to get a more accurate measure on your exercise calories, maybe invest in an activity tracker like a fitbit.
    Do NOT believe what machines are giving you, as they are most always inflated.

FitBits don't really work, you could sit there masturbating all day and it would say you've burnt 1000+ calories.

Exercise is such a small part of weight loss.

"Do NOT believe what machines are giving you, as they are most always inflated" A touch contradictory - don't you think? (PS not having a pop at your its just that you suggest investing in a machine, and then say not to trust it.)

Um, because you do? Everyone burns calories just by being alive. If I sit on my butt all day, I burn 1600 calories. Most of us who use our Fitbits properly have found them to be quite accurate.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    One week is nothing with weight loss. First of all no one needs to exercise to lose weight. Exercise simply helps you lose it faster than normal, (if you're not eating back all your burned calories.) 1600 is high for most women. I believe most women on this board are around 1200 calories a day.

You might want to check your profile. If you put in active, MFP is going to give you more calories to eat. I used sedentary, because--the only people that are truly active are construction workers who physically work hard all day long.

So I use sedentary, then I'll exercise and add that in. Be very careful though, MFP, machines and electronic devices have a history of over estimating calories burned, and you could easily be overeating your workouts. A good rule of thumb is to never eat back more than 1/2 calories burned.

Again, one week is nothing, this is a marathon, not a sprint. It's a life-style change in the way you eat and exercise, so don't try and kill yourself in the first week. This is going to take time. I am at goal weight now, but it took me well over a year to lose 25 pounds. I still long to make certain I stay here.

Good luck! Remember it's simply calories in versus calories out.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    hearthwood wrote: »
    1600 is high for most women. I believe most women on this board are around 1200 calories a day.

I'm at 1800 trying to lose .5lb a week and am actually losing 1lb a week. I only skate 1-2 times a week but I don't increase my calories. They stay at 1790 exercise or not.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    One week is nothing with weight loss. First of all no one needs to exercise to lose weight. Exercise simply helps you lose it faster than normal, (if you're not eating back all your burned calories.) 1600 is high for most women. I believe most women on this board are around 1200 calories a day.

You might want to check your profile. If you put in active, MFP is going to give you more calories to eat. I used sedentary, because--the only people that are truly active are construction workers who physically work hard all day long.

So I use sedentary, then I'll exercise and add that in. Be very careful though, MFP, machines and electronic devices have a history of over estimating calories burned, and you could easily be overeating your workouts. A good rule of thumb is to never eat back more than 1/2 calories burned.

Again, one week is nothing, this is a marathon, not a sprint. It's a life-style change in the way you eat and exercise, so don't try and kill yourself in the first week. This is going to take time. I am at goal weight now, but it took me well over a year to lose 25 pounds. I still long to make certain I stay here.

Nope....not me. I lose on 1800..calculated TDEE is anywhere between 2200-2600....

I do however agree no exercise is required...and machines/mfp does over estimate.

As for activity level...I work at a desk and average 8k steps a day before 5pm....then I do housework and exercise...so that is up for debate. Here is a study that gives a good range.

Per this article
    1) <5000 steps.d (sedentary);
    2) 5000-7499 steps.d (low active);
    3) 7500-9999 steps.d (somewhat active);
    4) > or =10,000-12,499 steps.d (active); and
    5) > or =12,500 steps.d (highly active)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035

as for the activity trackers in another post...my Jawbone is great.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Ah, no. Sorry, my TDEE on days I don't exercise is 1780. If I exercise - I'm well over 2300.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

not from eating carbs

Too MANY calories.

It's incredibly rude to correct someone's grammar, don't you think? Especially on an internet forum where you don't know if American English is her first language?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    i weight 271 lbs. MFP has me on a 1600 cal dail food plan and i walk 2 hours a day at a fast speed on my treadmill w it inclined also. MFP estimates im losing 800 calies aday from my walking. and i measure every bite of food by grams. I also discontinued all the diet and salt. but i am not losing weight.. the 2 hours of walking are so hard ut i do them every day 7 days a week. and the My diet is unposcessed food. its been a week now and i havent lost 1 lbs yet. What am i doing wrong//

Be patient. One week is not very long. Commit to doing this long term. Give yourself time to learn appropriate portion sizes. Realize that you won't see the scale number go down every single week. Don't give up. Take body measurements and progress photos as well. Set some fitness goals and notice improvements.
    Get your logging in order. Make sure you are measuring/weighing and choosing accurate entries. Eat a portion of your exercise calories.
    You can eat whatever you like whenever you like as long as it fits your calorie goal and you don't have medical issues that require you to eat a certain diet. If you prefer organic unprocessed food that is fine but you can lose weight eating fast food and fruit loops if you stick to your calories goal. Try to get enough protein, fat and fiber to feel more satisfied though. Drink water.
    You want to make long term sustainable changes. That is a process.
    If your food restrictions and exercise are too intense you are going to burn out/give up or hurt yourself pretty quickly. Eat in a way you could eat the rest of your life. If you are just starting exercise from being sedentary try walking 30 minutes a day instead of 2 hours and work your way up to greater speeds/distances. If you get bored with the treadmill there are lots of workouts on you tube you can try out.
    Rest days from exercise can be important too. I regret not taking any rest days until I started hurting myself.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Also, if you want to get a more accurate measure on your exercise calories, maybe invest in an activity tracker like a fitbit.
    Do NOT believe what machines are giving you, as they are most always inflated.

FitBits don't really work, you could sit there masturbating all day and it would say you've burnt 1000+ calories.

Exercise is such a small part of weight loss.

"Do NOT believe what machines are giving you, as they are most always inflated" A touch contradictory - don't you think? (PS not having a pop at your its just that you suggest investing in a machine, and then say not to trust it.)

I just tried this and it didn't work. Joking :P I love my Fitbit! I'm obsessed with it!
  • chey282
    chey282 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and at a total loss of 55 lbs. I lost 40 on a round of phentermine (that was hell!!!) Gained back 10, last summer did a second round of phentermine, lost 7 more. In November I purchased a note 4 (phone) which tracked my steps, that led to an orbit, (waterproof for water aerobics) in Jan I joined my local gym, and got a personal trainer. Have lost the rest since then. In Mar hubby and I got the Samsung gear fits. Loved it, but not waterproof and it didn't give me a total calorie burn from heart rate. Last week for my bday, hubby got me a basis peak, waterproof and it gives me a daily calorie burn based on heart rate. Start slow, I do suggest a tracker, there are the more Inexpensive ones. If nothing else most have a reminder alarm to get up and move. I am 5'0" so still have about 40 more lbs to go. I use MFP to track exercise and calories. I've also had knee surgery in may, so that is still slowing me down. You can do this! I would also suggest you start at 30 min of walking, and about every 2 weeks increase. I started at 260, size 26, I'm down to about 205, size 18/20. I'm also menopausal and seem to have to fight to lose every pound. You know your body, use common sense, your goal is to have enough of a deficit to burn 3500 calories for every lb you want to lose. I am going high protein, low sugar, moderate carbs. Drink lots of water, possibly see a nutritionist. Think of this as a lifestyle change, not a diet. The hardest thing I did and still fight with myself on is going to the gym. I feel like the fat lady keeping the machines etc from some buff guy that's waiting for it! But everyone has been totally awesome! No one has made me feel self conscious. Make one change at a time, too many and it gets overwhelming. I quit drinking diet Pepsi because the sodium seems to make me retain water, but I also have to watch my salt in general for that reason. Again, you CAN DO THIS!!! If going to the gym helps motivate you, go! My 10 yr old son and wanting to be more active with him in scouts etc is what truly got me moving! I have fibromyalgia, arthritis in knees, hips, back, ankles......bad discs in neck and low back, see a doc for chronic pain monthly. I've had to take it easy and go slow. If I can do it, I know you can!!! Don't give up!!! Also take a before pic! You won't regret it. Also measurements!
    One last time YOU GOT THIS!!!!!