Tracking natural bread?

Options
13»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    By natiral I mean with only whole food ingredients. No procesed bread. Most bread in the supermarket is full of crap. Homemade bread great! If I am using a recipe With minimal sugar it's not a big deal.

if the bakery does not list the ingredients, how do you know what they are putting in it?

I think all bread is processed, right?

and you can eat "supermarket bread" and have a healthy overall diet.

• proctornikki
    proctornikki Posts: 8 Member
    Options

if the bakery does not list the ingredients, how do you know what they are putting in it?

[/quote]

Because it's a local bakery that only uses whole foods and organic ingredients and I know the baker. Also they list the ingredients. It is way less processed than mass produced bread. I eat very little processed foods with more than 5 ingredients and bread does not need high fructose corn syrop nor ingredients you can't pronounce. You can eat whatever you choose.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Back to the original question, if I were totally in love with a bread from a particular bakery, I would ask to speak to the baker and try to get the ingredient information so that I could more accurately track it. Explain about MFP and your desire to log accurately. I'm pretty sure most bakeries would be flattered that you love their bread and be more than willing to help you out. As for the rest of this thread, bread is the stuff of life. I never gave up bread lost all the weight I wanted to and have kept it off for three years. No need to give it up.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    So this thread has now given me the urge to try baking sourdough bread. I have never made bread in my life.
    If anyone else wants to join me, I am going to make this starter and use this recipe for the bread.

Going to make the starter tomorrow morning before work.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Because it's a local bakery that only uses whole foods and organic ingredients and I know the baker. Also they list the ingredients. It is way less processed than mass produced bread. I eat very little processed foods with more than 5 ingredients and bread does not need high fructose corn syrop nor ingredients you can't pronounce. You can eat whatever you choose.[/quote]

What if my baker uses more than five ingredients?
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I am curious about what kind of bread because if it is yeast bread it has sugar.

sorry, I should have been more specific :) The only "yeasted" bread I know of that doesn't require added sugar or added yeast is called Desem bread. The recipe's ingredients are just freshly ground whole wheat, water and a bit of salt. To create a starter, which takes a while, basically, you bury a ball of starter dough (flour and water) in a larger container of freshly ground wheat flour--it's a bit more complicated, but you get the idea. The theory is that the doughball captures "wild yeast" and is therefore, "yeasted".

If done correctly, the bread actually does smell and perform just like a yeast bread, and is surprisingly sweet and light for being 100% whole wheat and having no added sugar or yeast. The first batches are a bit brick-like, but it gets much better with age.

The ingredients are:

Flour (it's important to use very freshly ground whole wheat--I grind my own)
    Water (unchlorinated is key)
    Salt

As I write this, I'm thinking I should start one up again...I just can't remember if it worked better to start it in winter when it was cooler, or summer when it's warmer.

(recipe from Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book--recommended for anyone who likes to make their own whole grain breads)
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    blazehill6 wrote: »
    Okay cupcake

Mmm. Cupcakes. Think I'll have one, along with a slice of bread, and still lose weight.
    Yep, the dim just can't grasp the reality of moderation and results.
    Too bad....

• ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    and?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Carbs turn instantly into sugar !!!
    Get a book on the subject or research it.

No...