Stupid questions about canned black beans

Options
2»

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I soak overnight because it's easy. You put beans in a bucket and add water, then go to sleep.

But overnight soaking isn't required and many people prefer to not do an overnight soak when they make their beans. They do their beans on the stove.

Either way.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    paris458 wrote: »
    I love that black liquid. You guys wash it off?

I do if I'm using the beans for salad or nacho or something, but not always if I'm mixing with rice or adding to a soup or chili. I rarely just eat a can of beans alone, but I wouldn't it drain it for that.

I dont rinse it, and for a salad I use less liquid but I still dont rinse them. I like the taste :)

I don't rinse them because of the taste, I just don't want my salad that wet. ;)
  • Nertak
    Nertak Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain how they prepare dry beans? How long do you have to soak them for? do you soak them in hot water on the stove or cold water?

I tried a try a recipe a couple times that was dry black beans, an orange and garlic all boiling in water for 3 hours. The beans never got soft.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Nertak wrote: »
    Can someone explain how they prepare dry beans? How long do you have to soak them for? do you soak them in hot water on the stove or cold water?

I tried a try a recipe a couple times that was dry black beans, an orange and garlic all boiling in water for 3 hours. The beans never got soft.

Generally you soak them overnight, then rinse before cooking, or you boil them for a few minutes, then soak for a couple of hours instead of overnight. This removes alot of the chemical component that produces gas when you eat them. I'm curious about this recipe you mention. I've never heard of cooking black beans with an orange, but I wonder if it was the orange that kept them from softening up in that time. Beans will not soften easily when cooked in an acidic solution. Usually if there's anything acidic in the recipe (vinegar, tomato sauce) you add that later in the cooking (or put up with a longer cooking time). Never eat hard dry beans. They will give you a tummy ache.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Canned beans are a great convenience, but dried beans really do have better texture. And they freeze very well, so you can cook a pound of dried beans, freeze them in 1 or 2 cup portions and have them as conveniently as canned beans
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Nertak wrote: »

Most every bag of beans I've seen have instructions that include either an overnight soak or a quick soak.
    Overnight - put 1 lb of bean and 6 cups of water in a bowl and let it soak overnight, by which they mean 6 to 8 hours or so. 12 is ok too.
    Quick - put 1 lb of beans and 6 cups cold water in a pan and bring to a boil. Let boil a minute or two and turn off heat and let soak 1 hr.
    Either way, they say, after soaking drain and bring to boil in 5 or 6 cups of cold water. Reduce to simmer, cook til they're done. How long depends on the size of the bean and how old the beans are and how soft you want them. I've seen very old beans that never softened, not properly anyway. Some say don't add acids, like tomatoes, until the beans are softened and I agree. Others say don't add salt til they're done and I disagree.
    Beans are generally harvested in the fall. I try to use up all I have before the end of the year so I always should have the latest crop.

If I think about it and feel like it I might pre-soak overnight but most of the time I don't. Haven't done that quick soak thing in years.

Oh yeah, salt - Standard is 1 tsp. per pound. I'm watching blood pressure so I 'might add a quarter to half of that. There are lots of ways at the end to add enough flavors that the salt isn't missed.

Don't neglect the sort and rinse.