Low Carb

Options

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    mittsi46 wrote: »
    terriallen how do you only eat 25g carbs? Can you tell me what foods you eat?

Cucumbers, dill pickles, olives, asparagus, green beans, kale, romaine, sprouts, Swiss chard, spinach, mushrooms.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I would like to know if combine calorie counting with low carb will I lose faster

It will not. Low carb is a fad. You just need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

Yep low carb is a fad, it's only been around over a century. Apparently when its been around for 150 years it will stop being a fad, but until then - Fad Diet!!!

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I would like to know if combine calorie counting with low carb will I lose faster

It will not. Low carb is a fad. You just need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight.

While your second statement is true, it's a lot easier to be in a caloric deficit if you're not crashing your blood sugar from a carb heavy diet all the time. Fat and protein are a lot more even release energy sources, while carbs are gasoline thrown on a campfire. All woosh and fireball and then gone, leaving you jonesing for your next hit.

I swear I'm the only person on these fora that have no cravings/crash and burn with carbs.

OP, I don't eat LCHF, but if it works for you, go for it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

While your second statement is true, it's a lot easier to be in a caloric deficit if you're not crashing your blood sugar from a carb heavy diet all the time. Fat and protein are a lot more even release energy sources, while carbs are gasoline thrown on a campfire. All woosh and fireball and then gone, leaving you jonesing for your next hit.

I swear I'm the only person on these fora that have no cravings/crash and burn with carbs.

I'm a little jealous...
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    Yeah... no. Believe what you will.

Best wishes.

BTW, your studies show a body weight decrease which makes sense due to water loss. Says nothing about fat loss. Secondly, most of the studies didn't have calories controlled in both groups. Thirdly, the several studies say that the groups didn't stick to their diets towards the end of the study. These studies don't prove anything...

This brings up another benefit of low carb diets, the diet naturally reduces salt and watér retention which helps with blood pressure levels and edema!

Got high blood pressure and feel all puffy? Carb levels may be something to investigate to help solve these.

Isn't this the reason a low carb dieter has a recommendation of 5000 mg of sodium a day instead of the 2300 mg on MFP?
    I'm not sure how increasing my sodium reduces my blood pressure.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

Best wishes.

BTW, your studies show a body weight decrease which makes sense due to water loss. Says nothing about fat loss. Secondly, most of the studies didn't have calories controlled in both groups. Thirdly, the several studies say that the groups didn't stick to their diets towards the end of the study. These studies don't prove anything...

This brings up another benefit of low carb diets, the diet naturally reduces salt and watér retention which helps with blood pressure levels and edema!

Got high blood pressure and feel all puffy? Carb levels may be something to investigate to help solve these.

Isn't this the reason a low carb dieter has a recommendation of 5000 mg of sodium a day instead of the 2300 mg on MFP?

Salt is cleared from your body at a much faster rate when you are in ketosis, that's part of the reason people feel poorly when they switch their diets - low serum salt levels.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Best wishes.

Salt is cleared from your body at a much faster rate when you are in ketosis, that's part of the reason people feel poorly when they switch their diets - low serum salt levels.

So isn't it recommended you consume greater amounts of sodium on this diet?

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I eat a low carb high protein diet as it keeps me fuller for longer, and also as I eat gluten free I tend to try and stay clear of the gluten ready made processed food.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    In the short term you may lose weight faster on a low carb high fat diet and eating at a deficit than f you just ate at a deficit. After a year the losses mostly even out.

No, it is not a fad. It is a way of eating. And you are incorrect, combining LCHF with a calorie deficit does usually cause faster weight loss. It is not by a huge amount, but it is faster.

It's a fad diet. ;)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So isn't it recommended you consume greater amounts of sodium on this diet?

If you start with normal or low blood pressure then extra sodium is recommended.

If you start with hypertension then you take advantage of the reduced sodium retention from restricting carbohydrate,

If you're on BP reducing medication and adopt a LC diet you may need to reduce the medication.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    I am probably @umayster's statement and thinking people understand the difference between low carb, k-e-t-o, and less carb. Then again. . .
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I'm a little jealous...

I'm a lot jealous...
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    dyeanne60 wrote: »
    Anyone eating a lower carb higher protein lifestyle?

OP, how much are you considering higher protein?
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    Are you magic? 1200 is bottom of the barrel acceptable. Everyone loses weight at that calorie deficit.

No, no they don't.

You try being a very short, menopausal, hypothyroid woman and then come back and tell me that's true.

I am very short with insulin resistance. Seriously. 1200 calories is what toddlers eat. How did you figure out your BMR? And other sorts of questions which you'd probably not want to entertain from me.
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you look at the chemical structure of carbohydrates you will notice a lot of -OH functional groups. These, when the carb is broken down, get released as water. One gram of carbohydrates holds approximately 3 grams of water. So for those of you who "lost 15 lbs in the first week" on a low carb diet, it's likely just water weight which will come back when you re-introduce carbs. That's why sales of low-carb weight loss fad diets sell so well. People see immediate results and attribute it to the "miracle diet".

In the end though, how a person chooses to eat is entirely up to them. I just thought I'd shed some light on the chemistry because you could be unnecessarily and unintentionally signing yourself up for low energy, higher cravings and bad mood for the duration of your low-carb eating spree. Isn't a balanced diet much more satisfactory?
  • dyeanne60
    dyeanne60 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I do think there is a difference between low carb and LOW carb though. Personally I believe everything should be done and eaten/drunk in moderation.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    adidrea wrote: »
    If you look at the chemical structure of carbohydrates you will notice a lot of -OH functional groups. These, when the carb is broken down, get released as water. One gram of carbohydrates holds approximately 3 grams of water. So for those of you who "lost 15 lbs in the first week" on a low carb diet, it's likely just water weight which will come back when you re-introduce carbs. That's why sales of low-carb weight loss fad diets sell so well. People see immediate results and attribute it to the "miracle diet".

In the end though, how a person chooses to eat is entirely up to them. I just thought I'd shed some light on the chemistry because you could be unnecessarily and unintentionally signing yourself up for low energy, higher cravings and bad mood for the duration of your low-carb eating spree. Isn't a balanced diet much more satisfactory?

I'm sure plenty of people like myself already know the science behind lowering carbs. But it's more than that for a lot of people. I am a carbaholic. I have a hard time moderating my carbs, and they do not satisfy my hunger. I can't say I have low energy OR a bad mood because I know how to combat keto flu and so the symptoms are minimal while in the beginning stages. And I sure don't miss bread all that much when my plate is full of cruciferous vegetables, meat and cheese.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    adidrea wrote: »

First, as a chemist, I'm curious about the chemistry side of the equation you're talking about. Which carbohydrate are you talking about in your post? Fructose? Glucose? They all have different formulas and the number of water molecules they break down into is different.

Also curious as to how "one gram" if a carbohydrate could hold "three grams" of water. It doesn't work like that. Water would be included in the total weight of the carbohydrate. You can't say that you weigh 100lbs, and have 150lbs of muscle.

I'm not arguing that in the first week, everything lost is water weight. That's basic biochemistry. But that last bit of your post?
    you could be unnecessarily and unintentionally signing yourself up for low energy, higher cravings and bad mood for the duration of your low-carb eating spree. Isn't a balanced diet much more satisfactory?

I've done 6 months on keto. No low energy, cravings, or mood swings. I'm not sure where you're getting that info from, as most people I know, once keto-adapted, would tell you that they could go 10 to 12 hours without being hungry at all.

I would never state that keto makes people lose weight faster, or is a miracle diet, but you can bet I'll speak up against the people who demonise it. Why specifically try to turn people away from it? If someone wants to try it, and has no medical reasons not to, let them go about their happy way.