Why Portion Control Doesn't Work

Options
124»

Replies

• Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I read the following article, "Why Portion Control Doesn't Work and What to Do Instead," and it left me with mixed feelings. Was wondering what the MFP world would have to say about it...

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2012/08/13/why-portion-control-doesnt-work-and-what-to-do-instead/

Did you notice they used the phrase --- WHEN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH BINGE EATING-- frequently

MFP is set up with one plan in mind..... watch your calories..... burn more than you eat & you lose weight.
    That obviously will not work if someone frequently "cheats" and goes over.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Whether anything "works" or not is depending on your goal. Hitting something with a hammer "works" if what you're trying to do is flatten it. Hitting something with a hammer doesn't "work" if what you're trying to do is stop it from bleeding LOL! \

The author of that post is not offering weight loss or weight control advice. Check out her bio: she is a body image coach. What she's saying is that dieting doesn't "work" if your goal is to love and accept yourself. That's true enough. It doesn't also mean that you can't work on loving yourself AT ANY SIZE while also taking care of your health by taking steps to achieve a healthier weight.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    "A tried-and-true method of weight loss is suddenly bogus because I say so! I am the only one with the secret to losing weight, and for only $X.99, I can share my whole plan with you!"

Seems legit.

:noway:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how binge eating means that portion control doesn't work. You aren't using portion control if you binge eat, by definition.

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I think that what she's saying sort of makes sense if you have a problem with bingeing. You need to address the bingeing problem first, otherwise you'll undo all of your progress at portion control. Trying to stop a bingeing habit at the same time as trying to control your portions in everyday life is probably too much for some people. As a former binge-eater, I agree that long term success depends on you getting your emotional eating under control first before focusing on portion control, counting calories, or whatever it is you do. That said, for the rest of the world that doesn't have a problem with bingeing, she's way off--clearly portion control works.

Great response!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    OMG! She is an "intuitive eater". Well, her intuitions are pretty bad seeing how obese she is.
    Not really a reputable source.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I don't think that author understands what "Portion Control" is. Portion control is just eat an actual portion of something, ie 4 oz of red meat vs a 16oz ribeye.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    "is a certified holistic health counselor and founder of a program designed for plus-sized women who are fed up with dieting and want support to stop obsessing about food and weight".

Translation........"I'm Lazy"

"I'm lazy and full of excuses"
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The first thing I did when I started working seriously to lose weight was to reasonably control portions! I am sorry to hear (after losing 102 lbs) that it doesn't work.