Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Food Addiction - A Different Perspective

Options

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This thread needs a bump.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    But...but...where did PeachyCarol go?
  • queenliz99
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

She left us:(
  • laurakaychin
    laurakaychin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If I had known food addiction was a thing, I wouldn't have had lap band surgery 8 years ago. It's been horrible!
    I encourage anyone who talks to me about wls to checkout Overeaters Anonymous before having any procedure.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

She is somewhere walking or running, she is on my fitbit feed. She out steps me consistently, week after week!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

She is somewhere walking or running, she is on my fitbit feed. She out steps me consistently, week after week!

<3
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I am engaged to a recovering drug addict/alcoholic. He's been clean and sober for almost 9 years. He is on the other end of things now and is a public speaker and very involved in recovery as well as completing a degree to become a drug and alcohol therapist. I also have multiple family members that have struggled with addiction as well. So I'm no stranger to it, and honestly since my fiancé is so active in the community regarding the subject I would even say that it's a huge part of my family and everyday life. All that being said...I think this argument is just plain silly. The argument that food is not physically addicting doesn't make sense to me. Well no, it's not physically addicting...but my fiancé hasn't had a drug or alcoholic beverage in his body in almost 9 years and he STILL struggles with the addiction. The physical symptoms of addiction are loooong gone. Does that mean he no longer struggles with addiction? Of course he does. He will struggle til the day he dies. Does the physical part come into play because maybe the drugs and alcohol permanently altered his brain to physically be addicted? I don't know. Who cares? I don't go around arguing that there is or isn't such thing as a food addiction. I don't know. What frustrates me is that if someone is feeling powerless over something, who cares whether YOU feel that they are just lacking self control? You think they're just not being accountable? Who. Cares. If they call it an addiction, they're obviously feeling like they're completely lacking control. That is sad, regardless of what you wanna call it, and they need help. I don't know if there's a technical "food addiction". But if someone tells me they're addicted to something, my heart goes out to them. Whether YOU believe they can snap themselves out of it and are making excuses is irrelevant. Whatever you want to call it, the struggle is real. Let's worry about being kind to one another and supporting others on their journeys, even if they differ from ours or we have different views.
    My opinion is similar to yours.
  • queenliz99
    Options
  • ivylyon
    ivylyon Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    This is a British programme (The Truth about Sugar) which gives an overview of sugar and the associated health concerns. It profiles four people with high sugar intakes and how they deal with cutting back, thought the OP might find interesting. Good luck

https://youtu.be/ONXNKacNU_4
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How do you think it relates to the OP's post?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Bump, because this came up on another thread.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    OMG, this is still kicking around!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the 17 pages (!) of posts so I apologize if this has already been mentioned but I thought this was a interesting article on the relationship with sleep and feeling addicted to food.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/lack-sleep-trigger-food-addiction-201604069403?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialmedia&utm_campaign=040616kr&utm_content=blog
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    That is actually quite true to my experience.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Mine as well.

Often times this gets translated as "lack of sleep makes you gain weight" instead of "lack of sleep increases hunger".

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Mine as well.

Often times this gets translated as "lack of sleep makes you gain weight" instead of "lack of sleep increases hunger".

This study suggested that not only does it increase hunger but it may also increase pleasure from eating.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I have definitely noticed that I am always hungrier on days after I've had poor sleep.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have definitely noticed that I am always hungrier on days after I've had poor sleep.

I am with all of you.