If I don't eat a big breakfast

Options
I'm really hungry by lunch and my 400cal lunch doesn't fill me so I end up wanting a bigger/less healthy snack and usually go over my calories.

If I I have a 3-400 cal breakfast I top up at lunch and stay fuller.

Is this a thing? Is it all in my head? Who knows!

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different. Don't over analyze it, if you're staying under your calorie goal. Eat the way that suits you best, with foods you enjoy. You'll see results.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's a thing for some!

For others, they find that breakfast kind of kick-starts their hunger and they feel much hungrier, so they skip it.

I tried a high-fiber breakfast. I try all kinds of stuff. No matter how dumb it sounds, I'll try it as long as it fits into my overall plan. The high-fiber breakfast is the only thing that stuck. I like it. Works for me. :)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different. Some people hate eating breakfast, and some will get mighty cranky if they don't. It doesn't matter how you split up your calories for the day. It can be 2 meals, 3 meals, 6 meals, whatever. Work out a system that works for you and go with that.
  • mikestobbs1
    mikestobbs1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    What are you eating fir breakfast?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Everyone's different. Don't over analyze it, if you're staying under your calorie goal. Eat the way that suits you best, with foods you enjoy. You'll see results.

Cosigned.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for you. If it's a big breakfast, great. If it's a tiny breakfast, great. If it's no breakfast, great.

(FWIW, I don't consider 3-400 calories a big breakfast. I eat around 550 most mornings.)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Instead of baguettes and cereal you could eat more protein and fat (bacon, cheese, full fat yogurt, peanut butter).
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm the same way. I eat more at breakfast and it holds me over for a very long time. The rest of the day I tend to eat smaller meals.
  • liamalmighty
    liamalmighty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Really filling breaky I have every morning - combine 100g egg whites with 50g raw porridge oats - mix it all together, pour it into a frying pan (use 0 cal oil spray) and then eat it up! Works out at around 250 calories; sometimes add 50g of lettuce or spinach just to fill in the cracks :D

Definitely does the job before going to the gym!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I'm really hungry by lunch and my 400cal lunch doesn't fill me so I end up wanting a bigger/less healthy snack and usually go over my calories.

If I I have a 3-400 cal breakfast I top up at lunch and stay fuller.

Is this a thing? Is it all in my head? Who knows!

I feel the same way. I eat a 300 calorie breakfast (with a decent amount of protein and fiber) and it prevents me from overeating the rest of the day....although I wouldn't say it's a "big" breakfast :)
  • ClareDoherty42
    ClareDoherty42 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know it's not huge but it's big for me. I used to be a 30g cereal with skimmed milk kinda person!

The baguettes were on my non-plan day, not a regular occurrence I promise!

I'm not a huge fan of cooked breakfast. I can just about eat in the morning but the smell of cooking makes me nauseous. I've either been having more cereal than normal or cereal followed by toast.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. I never eat breakfast. I usually only have a 300-500 calorie lunch, a 800-1000 calorie dinner and a 250-500 calorie snack at night (usually fruit). I'm in maintenance now, but when I was actively losing, I rarely had a snack.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Instead of baguettes and cereal you could eat more protein and fat (bacon, cheese, full fat yogurt, peanut butter).

+1, from someone who doesn't eat breakfast.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Really filling breaky I have every morning - combine 100g egg whites with 50g raw porridge oats - mix it all together, pour it into a frying pan (use 0 cal oil spray) and then eat it up! Works out at around 250 calories; sometimes add 50g of lettuce or spinach just to fill in the cracks :D

Definitely does the job before going to the gym!

I'm going to try this...only with whole eggs cuz I need the fat to feel full.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    300 - 400 sounds like a small breakfast. I'd consider less than that a small snack not a meal - no wonder it doesn't keep you full.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    do what works for you. when i eat breakfast it is (typically) 300 calories or thereabout. but i often skip breakfast, because I'm just not a breakfast person. It is much more common for me to have a large lunch and medium sized dinner, and get all or most of my calories in those two meals.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    To each their own, no worries. My husband rarely eats breakfast, me? Let's just say I'm not fit for society before at least 400kcal!
  • CurlyGurla
    CurlyGurla Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't like cooking in the am either. On Sundays, I make bfast for the week. I use a muffin pan, spray with Pam, and fill each cup with whisked eggs, spinach, onion, and am trying real bacon bits this week (use 1/2 tbl per cup @25 cals). Also use Canadian bacon sometimes. Cook at 375 for 25 mins. After cooling, put 2 in a baggie and pop in the freezer. Heat them up each morning with a little shredded cheese. Just under 300 cals for 2 and keeps me full til lunch. I was eating yogurt/granola/fruit, but my doc said recent research indicates we shouldn't eat sugar in the am, til after 10/10:30. Better for the insulin reaction. I need bfast in the morning, otherwise I'm a cranky wench! Lol. Good luck.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Hunger isn't going to kill you, it's just a feeling right?

Have some water etc you might just be thirsty.

I've said it before and I am sure to say it again. Is you feeling of hunger that great it forces you to eat? Or is it just in your head and you got to ignore it.

If you know you are eating enough calories in a day then isn't hunger a useless feeling?

Like having a busted fuel gauge in a car, if I know I filled it up recently I'm not going to care if it says I'm running on empty or beeps at me.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I've never eaten breakfast on a regular basis since it just makes me feel sick to my stomach, but if a bigger breakfast keeps you under your calorie goal for the day, the go for it!