The uphill battle at home.

Options
13»

Replies

• Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    You have clearly sabotaged yourself over the years and by the way you're portraying yourself in this thread, I can see that you'll be sabotaging your relationships, as well. That lack of accountability and finger-pointing at everyone else, but you, is going to fester a bacteria known as resentment and ultimately make you push your loved ones out of your life. So, then you'll really be alone and -- presumably -- still be overweight and miserable.

Once you start being accountable for your own lack of discipline, low self-esteem and laziness, you'll be harder on yourself which will be the drive to get you off the couch. Family/friends shouldn't even be in the equation; this all falls on YOU. Once you start kicking your own *kitten*, you'll, ironically, feel a lot better about yourself and appreciate those in your life -- because you'll be a better you. Conquering that is an accomplishment all on it's own and really should be your first step.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    playtime with your young son is important. kids only get one childhood, and interactive play is important for his physical, social, emotional and intellectual development.
    cwms3rd wrote: »
    This is all my fault.
    well... yes! my weight is my fault/accomplishment, the same as every adult who isn't starved, force fed or suffering from a medical condition. your unwillingness to take responsibility is also an inability to believe in your ability to make things happen for yourself.

the problem you have isn't how to get them to do what you want, it's how to get you to do what you want.
  • bigtone89
    bigtone89 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    damn you guys are brutal....homeboy might be about to launch himself off the building any second now
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you eat - just eat less of it. Keep logging and do so accurately - use a scale. You also likely know which foods you find filling and which do not, so adjust accordingly. Sounds like you're trying some form of elimination diet, which will not work in the long term. Make small changes you know you can hold for the rest of your life and implement them slowly over time.

Get your wife and kids involved and set a goal that has health in mind. You are doing this to set a good example for your kids.
  • kawh707
    kawh707 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i have not been successful either... but am determined this time. as someone with lots of 'will power' generally, but who sabotages herself if there is easy access to junkfood... can i suggest that you designate one small cupboard (or buy a box) for junk food being brought into the house. put a LOCK on it.. and give ONLY your parents the key. explain to your child that these are special snacks that the grandparents are allowed to hand out. (no mention of diet or willpower). thank your parents profusely for being so generous... and get their buy-in. if they leave any snack food in the 'fridge, quietly put it in the sink and spray it with water... as soon as they leave.

in our house, my hubbie is constantly bringing snacks in, but i've gotten him to put it somewhere in his closet... i have not yet sunk so low as to search his closet to see if there's anything there. it's just that if it's in my face at 11pm, i'm just going to eat it!! i have to watch him eat burgers and onion rings all the time... it's really a challenge... but i'm pretty good about it. it's just all the late night snacking on 'low calorie' foods that gets me... and i, too, do better if i can keep on track about not eating after 9pm. good luck!
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    mrron2u wrote: »
    seska422 wrote: »
    The timing of meals doesn't really matter for weight loss. However, if you don't want to eat after 7PM, then don't eat after 7PM. Your wife can eat whenever she pleases. There's no rule that you both have to eat at the same time. Also, if you eat separately, you don't have to watch her eat things you've decided not to eat. Win-Win.

Your parents are providing free child care for you in your home. You don't even need to cart your offspring over to their house. They can bring whatever they like. You may want to empty out a cupboard for them to store items so that they are out of your line-of-sight.

Supporting you is different from changing themselves around to suit you. They are having to deal with your changes and you need to deal with their non-changes.

Part of being able to sustain weight loss long term is learning how to be surrounded with temptation without surrendering. You can do it!
    All great advice - I couldn't have said it better!

Sage advice, indeed. I bolded my favorite parts.

• 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    bigtone89 wrote: »
    damn you guys are brutal....homeboy might be about to launch himself off the building any second now
    I'm pretty sure he did the MFP analogue and torched his account. I'm all for "motivation and support", but when someone isn't ready to take responsibility for their actions, they're not ready to act responsibly.

/chiasmus ftw!
  • bigtone89
    Options
    I hear you...but I do think people are motivated in different ways....some people especially nowadays can't handle the harsh words or what-have-you....anyway, I spent 4 years in the Marines so a verbal onslaught don't mean *kitten* to me. MFP is a great tool for me to track how I'm doing and progress etc. in my 50's now, soit's definitely tougher than a "few" years ago.
  • lejoie
    lejoie Posts: 51 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    This is a perfect example as to why people are so afraid to ask for help. I don't understand why everyone is being so rude toward OP. Even if you disagree with someone, have the decency to be respectful. He comes from a home where it sounds like the wife usually cooks dinner. It doesn't make him a jerk nor does it make his wife a "kitchen slave."

Chill. Realize you are speaking to a human being with feelings.

Furthermore, I agree that your parents SHOULDNT be feeding your child that crap. You have a right to be angry for the sake of your child's health - not for yours. Those foods contribute to the obesity epidemic in this country among children and adults and should be enjoyed sparingly.

Your wife is entitled to eat as she pleases and I for one know just how hard it is to see the person you love eat whatever they want in front of you. Its hard, despite how many people in this thread want you to feel bad and say you need self discipline. When my husband and I discuss this same issue, we agree that he will eat those things as he pleases, just not all the time right in my face. He respects my health and understands why I don't want certain food items around. You will have to respect her decision, however, if she decides she won't change her eating habits or cook differently for you.
  • bigtone89
    Options
    Amen sister
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    After reading my post, I probably came off harsh, but really was trying to bestow words of wisdom and encouragement. I totally understand his frustrations and agree that if it's a matter of him not wanting his son to eat junk, then his parents should respect his wishes of not bringing "garbage" into the house. I also understand that sometimes sitting down and eating dinner as a family is very important to people, so I do understand his frustration at his wife, maybe, brushing that off. I was glimpsing over all that and was just trying to get to the base layer and address what his focus should be.

Good luck, OP, if you haven't already left.