Opinions on soya milk?

Options
I have been for a while now going back and forth with if drinking soya milk is better for you then skimmed milk.
I currently only have coconut milk but when it comes to drinking out I am faced with the choice between soya or skimmed a lot. I can't have almond milk but would love to see what others think between them two?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    It tastes nasty.

I'd go with skimmed...
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    There is some evidence that phytoestrogens in soy can cause feminization in men, but I think you'd need to be drinking quite a bit.
  • dc1arkson
    dc1arkson Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    There is some evidence that phytoestrogens in soy can cause feminization in men, but I think you'd need to be drinking quite a bit.

I had heard these sort of things too which was part of my not knowing which is healthier in the long run
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Have read and heard this as well so I try to stay away from soy if possible. I worked hard to get rid of my man boobs so don't want to risk it ;)
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    dc1arkson wrote: »
    I had heard these sort of things too which was part of my not knowing which is healthier in the long run

I guess it depends on what healthier means to you.

I too prefer coconut milk when I can, but if you're not intolerant I would probably just stick with skimmed milk...
  • dc1arkson
    Options
    I am not intolerant but I try to cut as much dairy from my life as possible but when it comes to the two soya or skimmed I have a bit of a dilemma of sorts
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Soy products are best consumed if fermented.

What makes you think skim milk is healthier than any other?

When I want milk I drink whole 3% or higher fat milk.
  • dc1arkson
    Options

I am not saying it's healthier I am saying I want to know the best of the two. As that is my options in situations. No other options as I said coconut is my preferred when I have other options.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I am not saying it's healthier I am saying I want to know the best of the two. As that is my options in situations. No other options as I said coconut is my preferred when I have other options.

Without knowing the rest of what you're eating and what your goals are, it will be hard for us to tell you what is healthier.

We don't eat foods in a vacuum -- they're part of an overall diet. Does one have macros that you prefer? Do you have other factors to consider? I choose soy milk because it has more protein that other plant milks (I don't consume dairy for ethical reasons). It's healthy for my diet because it helps me meet my protein goals for a reasonable number of calories. But your situation may be totally different.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I use soy milk. The hype over it being bad for you is nonsense. The amount of soy you would need to consume to have any sort of issue is a large quantity that the majority of people will not consume.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I much prefer soy to skimmed cow's milk, but I don't think it's better for me. I just think it tastes a lot better.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

If you check the sources of this nonsense, I doubt you'll find any reputable.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    2% real milk.....Soy milk is just gross, most of the time less "clean" than regular milk, plus I don't want to mess with anything that can screw up my hormones even further....Skimmed milk is just not worth drinking - I might use it to mix my protein powder, but it tastes like water on its own.....
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    2% real milk.....Soy milk is just gross, most of the time less "clean" than regular milk, plus I don't want to mess with anything that can screw up my hormones even further....Skimmed milk is just not worth drinking - I might use it to mix my protein powder, but it tastes like water on its own.....

I drink soy milk at least once a week and I have never found dirt in it. Maybe you need to try a different brand?
  • astrampe
    Options
    LOL...sarcasm directed to the wrong person - my idea of "clean eating" is washing fruit and veggies before I eat it....But as I don't know the OP's goals and have a few friends who see milk as "bad" and soy and coconut "milk" as healthy and clean eating, I've used the word "clean".....
    Hope you feel better now?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    LOL...sarcasm directed to the wrong person - my idea of "clean eating" is washing fruit and veggies before I eat it....But as I don't know the OP's goals and have a few friends who see milk as "bad" and soy and coconut "milk" as healthy and clean eating, I've used the word "clean".....
    Hope you feel better now?

I never felt bad. I just don't know what you mean by milk from a cow being cleaner than milk from a soy bean. If you don't subscribe to clean eating, what do you mean by it?
  • astrampe
    Options
    Are you really bored? Cause I don't have time to argue with strangers on the internet about semantics..... Go do some work or something..... B)
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Are you really bored? Cause I don't have time to argue with strangers on the internet about semantics..... Go do some work or something..... B)

I'm not bored at all. Is boredom why you post? I post to communicate with people.

If you don't have time to post, that's fine. But no need to project that on other people.

I just don't understand how milk from a cow is "cleaner" than milk from a soy bean. You don't have time to discuss the meaning of what you wrote, but you did have time to write it. That's fine -- but you seem upset and there's no reason to be upset when people don't understand what you're attempting to communicate.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I prefer soy milk to skim milk but whole milk is my overall preference.
  • dc1arkson
    Options
    My goals are atm to maintain my weight but was wondering what people thought of soya milk in general as I had heard bad things and obviously good. I am faced with either soya or skimmed when out at times, you hear and read so much information that counters having either. Purely was an interest