Low-income help

melissajayne1980
melissajayne1980 Posts: 12 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I am on a government disability pension with no food stamps (for some reason Canada doesn't give out food stamps) and minimum work due to the fact that I can only make a certain amount of money each month, which comes to under $20 grand for the year. I don't particularly carefor legumes, as I end up leaving most of them on my plate or in my bowl and avoid soups like minestrone. I get about $906, with about $525 going to my (I get about $375 for shelter costs with the 906), which leaves me about $382 for gas, bill for my cell phone and credit card and when those are paid off, I probably don't have a lot for groceries and sometimes end up having things like hot dogs or an inexpensive microwave meal because its cheap and the only thing I can basically afford. I also get Kraft singles because they are cheaper than the real cheese slices. Stuff like quiona (sorry if I misspelled it) is out of the question due to cost and usually buy white rice because I can afford it. I don't get brown rice because it is also a bit more expensive than I can afford. Can somebody direct me to a site that I can use to get low-budget healthy meal ideas? I also subscribe to a site called Budget Bytes. I would really appreciate any help. Remember I don't like legumes.

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    you can just eat what you ate before but less

Now for rice..you dont need brown
    Bulk up and prep food

In general eating more vegetables is cheaper than microwaved food
    So cook yourself
    frozen or fresh veggies
    rice fruits etc
    and pre-prep if you have less time.
    Oh and budget bytes is very good.
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    Two words Food Banks. I'm in a financial situation as well (in college, working, managing a 2 bedroom apartment on my own, no car yet, no food stamps etc.) but the local food banks have helped greatly. Quite a few carry healthy/fresh foods along with the non perishables. I suggest you go to any local food banks. They're usually operated at churches.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    hummmm OP wrote she dont get that over were she lives

• JoeyFrappuccino
    JoeyFrappuccino Posts: 88 Member
    Dried foods are very cheap and healthy, particularly legumes. It's unfortunate you don't like them but it doesn't sound like you can prioritize taste above cost if the price difference between white and brown rice is a barrier. Grains are good as well; oats, barley, and rice will go a long way. Quinoa's health benefits are pretty overblown, it may be slightly more nutritious than rice but it can't really compare to most legumes. Things like microwave meals and hot dogs are fairly expensive if you're trying to save on food. Instant noodles are probably the cheapest convenience food available. Try calculating how many calories food will give you per dollar, things like dried foods, canned foods, oils, and pasta are all very cheap for how much they provide.
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    There's a great free cook book here: http://www.leannebrown.com called "Good and Cheap" that aims to be around $4 a day. There's a price estimate for each meal (based on US prices though). It might give you some new ideas.

Check a few different grocery stores for sales, my local "buy-low" has a different item each day that's marked down to crazy cheap. Their sale day blocks of cheddar work out cheaper than singles slices and there's usually a cheap bagged salad day, that'll do for a couple of lunches, but it'll depend on what stores are near you.

Bags of frozen mixed veggies are usually reasonably cheap and make an easy way to stretch out a meal. I sometimes still make a box of Kraft dinner and add a cup or two of frozen veggies to it if I need something quick and easy.

Some staples like rice will be cheaper at Asian supermarkets like T&T if you get it in 10-20 pound bags.

I like to add a scrambled egg in with my rice and veggies for some bean free protein.

I'm sure that was rambling, but I hope some of that was helpful :)
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    BWBTrish wrote: »
    hummmm OP wrote she dont get that over were she lives
    I read everything. She said she doesn't receive food stamps. A food bank however is something churches operate. There are churches everywhere. All she needs to do is ask around or call local churches and see if they hold food banks then she can go and receive food.

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Do you have farmer's markets near you? Some here will offer deep discounts on the fruits and vegetables that look "ugly" and won't sell as well. Also, have you thought about growing some of your own food? If you have a deck or rooftop you can easily grow some vegetables from seed and the cost is quite minimal.

The food back suggestion was a great idea as well. Try calling around to local churches or ministries. You should be able to find some help there.

You can continue eating what you are now, just eat less of it. The only problem there is that I'm fearful that those higher calorie options fewer times a day will leave you feeling less satisfied. I'm not sure what your food budget is, but I feed a family of four on $130/week and I buy a lot of fresh food with that. I save by shopping deals and only buying the produce that is in season. Right now our chain stores are carrying a lot of local produce, so I can get cucumbers at 2 for $1, zucchini for $1.49, and tomatoes for $1.49/lb.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    I mix brown rice or quinoa in with white rice to stretch the budget but still get the health benefits of other grains. If it will mask the taste enough for you, you could do the same with legumes. Lots of veggies in season, look for "seconds" in produce dept, and whatever meat is on sale. Food banks or discount grocery stores are great.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    edited August 2015
    Price compare things at dollars per pound. Dried staples like flour, rice, sugar, oatmeal, polenta, potatoes, beans are the cheapest things you can buy. Hot dogs and frozen entrees have a small upfront cost, but if you compare the price per pound even brown rice can be cheaper.

For a healthy diet, fruits and veggies are a must. Look for carrots, broccoli, bananas, apples, oranges, frozen peas & corn, items in season. Fruits and veggies also help fill you up without adding many calories.

To eat most cheaply home cooking is a must, so if you don't have time or ability, you may have to compromise some. But the microwave can make cooking simple things very easy.

I've had a <50 cent lunch using fresh ingredients at work with nothing but a microwave. (I work in a supermarket) One russet potato and one corn on the cob, in season. A bottle of vinegar & oil mixed at home and kept in my locker. I put the potato in a paper bag (free from next to the mushrooms) and put it and the unshucked corn the microwave for 6 our so minutes (check potato with a fork). Pour dressing over baked potato. About the same amount of food as a $1 frozen dinner but fresher and less calories.

I find this chart super helpful for cooking veggies: http://www.kidspot.com.au/admin/images/contentarticles/6774.jpg
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Use the local food banks for staples and hit the supermarkets first thing in the morning when all the "sell by date" stuff is on the shelves. The dates are "sell by" not "eat by" so will keep in the fridge for 3- 4 days.
    Scour the flyers for "buy one, get one free deals.
    You can make good soups and stews with few ingredients that will last for days.
    When you can, stock pile the basics and flavourings when they are on sale.

I know how you feel, I brought up my son on thrift store finds and eating what was on sale. I loathed chicken but leant to love it as it was the cheapest thing- 2 broilers on mark down lasted over a week when I bulk cooked and froze. Good job I did know how to cook.
    I had no car or phone or cable at the time as they were secondary to food, clothing, and shelter. I was young and it was no where near as bad living it; as it sounds writing it. Yes I live in Canada.

Cheers, h.
  • tomatoey
    edited August 2015
    That is a really tight budget :/ How much is actually left after your $382 for gas, cell phone, and credit card for food?

I think in your shoes I would probably get dry and canned staples (sugar, oil, flour, canned goods) at the dollar store (or edit, the food bank I guess). Then probably use coupons to suss out the best deals among the more budget focused grocery stores (e.g. No Frills.) Plan out your meals for the week, probably using the deals of the week as a basis. Plan around your protein. When you see things that are a really great deal, get two if you can afford it at the moment (otherwise obviously not). I'd probably also go for eggs, also ham & cheese for sandwiches. Tuna, as well.

For meat, chicken thighs and ground beef are probably cheapest. You can get chicken breast cheaper in budget packs. (Which are huge, so if you're cooking for one, separate them out into smaller portions first and put those into individual tupperware or baggies before you put them in the freezer). You can also look for sales for other cuts that are on their last day and just freeze them (still ok to eat). Personally, I'd probably go for chilis and bolognese sauce pretty often (I do anyway :) )

Get some tupperware (probably would go to dollar store for these also). Whenever you make something, make at least two portions, and freeze one of them. Be good about freezing the day you cook stuff, that way there's no wasted food. (Also be good about actually eating it :) I'm not always).

I assume you're driving because you have to (e.g. don't have great public transport, or it'd be the same price maybe, if you don't drive often, and given that you're on disability, maybe can't bike - or can you bike?).
  • NatashaLP2014
    NatashaLP2014 Posts: 82 Member
    Food banks definitely exist in Canada, my mother used them for many years when I was growing up and every grocery store has a donation bin on the way out. (So you can ask there about where your local one is.) Other things you may be able to do is offer to pick abundant tree fruits or help out with someones garden to get some fresh veggies. Or there are lots that can be grown easily in a pot, lettuce, tomatos, peppers, strawberries, etc. We have a program in our town with volunteer pickers that divide the harvest between the pickers, the owners and the food bank equally.(Good for the people and to discourage bears coming into your yard after the fruit.)

I find buying lettuce, a couple tomatoes, mushrooms and a cucumber to cut up for a salad gives me a side salad to eat with lunch and dinner for a whole week and costs about 5 dollars. Add in chicken from a 3kg frozen box when it is on sale for 20 dollars and you can have good, cheap meals. I find the salad really helps keep me satisfied with less of the foods we normally eat.

About legumes, you can always blend them to bulk up things like chili and pasta sauce. I do this occasinally because my husband also hates beans.

Oh, and the biggest money saver I have found is sitting down and planning out meals for the week ahead and going grocery shopping. So much less wasted food and no more annoying conversations about what we should have for dinner each and every day!

Hope that helps some.
  • gaelicstorm26
    I've actually hidden beans in cookie recipes to get more nutrition into my youngest son!
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Here's a few tips from the horse's mouth in grocery retail:

- Buy the reduced. Most stores sell day-old bread, bruised fruit and even meat at 30-50% off. The bread can be frozen, the produce should be used immediately and usually the meat is fine except they want to move the old shipment to make room for that days'. Avoid reduced chicken -- It will be the first to go off.
    - You didn't say where you're located, but unless you're in the North, seasonal produce is always a good buy.
    - Always buy whole foods, not post-processed. By that I mean lettuce, not bags of greens; cheese brick, not shreds or sticks; a chicken breast not cooked strips. Post-processing is a ripoff in terms of calories per penny. On a budget as tight as yours you cannot afford the convenience.
    - Shop the walls, not the aisles. The better values are there.
    - Invest in spices. You can accomplish a lot with rice, lean meats and fresh vegetables by adding herbs and spices. A one-time expense will last a long time. Always buy the bulk bags, never the little glass jars. Store them in margarine tubs.
    - Learn to cook. I don't mean to sound flippant, but if you master a half-dozen basic meals with the tools above, you can make in bulk, freeze them and have meals ready to go that will be cheaper and better nutrition than microwave cheapies.

A classic example - Stuffed peppers: Rice, tomato sauce (always cheap), a few ounces of whatever meat (a little goes a long way), seasonal veg, all stuffed into reduced peppers with the bad bits sliced out. Easy to make in bulk, can be different every time.

- Price Match! You can save several bucks per trip this way. If you have a smartphone download Flipp.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Hi OP. I'm sorry you are going through this. I also live in BC but we are a family of 6 on one income and I have a disability but do not qualify for any govt help due to my husband's income (working poor). Feel free to PM me or friend add me to talk more. We have struggled a lot with food and have had some great tips given to me from others (couponing, mark downs at certain stores at certain times, reselling items, etc).

For others advice concerning food banks: there are food banks in our province but they are not govt funded. They only rely on donations. Items are random, and often are damaged/expired, etc. For example one would get a bunch of expired bread items, a few canned items, sometimes eggs, sometimes a few snacks or fruit. You absolutely can't rely on them but it is a supplement. Unfortunately, there is also huge stigma here to use them and have to pick it up (hamper) personally so if transportation is an issue-it can be a problem. Also, sometimes Sally Ann etc offer emergency hampers but not all, and not many churches have them offered to the public.

• gaelicstorm26
    Food banks here aren't government funded either and rely on donations, though most are strict about what they will take. They won't take expired foods.

One other idea--and this one might be difficult--but many stores are allowed to make donations and charitable gifts at the beginning of the month. I know we've gone there to get things for schools before, and it isn't uncommon to be handed a $25 gift card if you go early in the month while they still have funds available.

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Some of the cheapie things we buy are from Superstore. Rice crackers ($1-1.25) for snacks, rice cakes ($1.50), and also down the international aisle buy 99c instant noodles in a pack (not the flavoured stuff) but the steam noodles. Great for stirfries! Also cheap is the rice vermicelli for noodle dishes.

We buy only reduced meat mostly and have to really stretch it out. Thrifty's marks down , Save On Foods, and Superstore all do. No frills-is there one there? Also, we bake and make own buns and bread and it helps too.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,843 Member
    Your rent seemt so be very high compared to your income. Would it be possible to find something cheaper, hence freeing money for other things? A move doesn't need to cost much: just give a few tenners to some students with a van.
  • tomatoey
    edited August 2015
    yirara wrote: »
    Your rent seemt so be very high compared to your income. Would it be possible to find something cheaper, hence freeing money for other things? A move doesn't need to cost much: just give a few tenners to some students with a van.

I doubt it, rent (and food and everything) is just really expensive in most places in Canada. That is about 40% of what rent would be for a bachelor apartment in my area.