Low-income help

Options

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    bbontheb wrote: »
    Sorry, to the people recommending buying frozen bag veggies for a buck, rice for 1.50 etc. Those are not canadian prices. Rice, small bag $5 ish, frozen veggies sometimes on sale for small bag of corn or peas for $2.50 but 3-5$. The prices here are way more than the US.

Also, if you try to find a job while on provincial govt disability I believe they do claw back (take it away) or cancel it. BC keeps you in poverty if you are on assistance.

OP-do you have a bulk barn near you?

Yes, prices are higher here. And she's in BC. Might be even higher there since the standard of living is higher.
    But wouldn't the prices of the frozen meals be higher, too? We're just suggesting that via planning and knowing how to find what the real "bang-for-your-buck" foods are, that her food dollars could go further.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned pricematching-yes this! This works best at Walmart. Also, you can get Checkout 51, Snap (formerly snapsave) for $ back on items too. Flyerify on the phone and you can see all the flyers (for pricematching) in your area .
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Hi OP. I'm sorry you are going through this. I also live in BC but we are a family of 6 on one income and I have a disability but do not qualify for any govt help due to my husband's income (working poor). Feel free to PM me or friend add me to talk more. We have struggled a lot with food and have had some great tips given to me from others (couponing, mark downs at certain stores at certain times, reselling items, etc).

For others advice concerning food banks: there are food banks in our province but they are not govt funded. They only rely on donations. Items are random, and often are damaged/expired, etc. For example one would get a bunch of expired bread items, a few canned items, sometimes eggs, sometimes a few snacks or fruit. You absolutely can't rely on them but it is a supplement. Unfortunately, there is also huge stigma here to use them and have to pick it up (hamper) personally so if transportation is an issue-it can be a problem. Also, sometimes Sally Ann etc offer emergency hampers but not all, and not many churches have them offered to the public.

To the bolded: this is completely untrue. I'm in Canada as well and have volunteered at my local food bank sorting donations, and I can tell you that they are absolutely rigid on food safety. Expired anything is thrown out, dented cans too, anything that isn't sealed, etc etc. Tons of donations are rendered unusable because of this, in fact...it often felt like only half what was donated was even usable, honestly. If the date on the bread looks expired, that would only be because it was frozen BEFORE that date and thawed safely to be given out. My local food bank also uses donated egg cartons to repackage flats of donated eggs, so the date on the carton doesn't reflect the items inside.

Please don't be afraid to use the food bank if you need it. I promise that the food there is safe. They would not be permitted to continue operating if their food safety procedures were not up to scratch and they are carefully regulated.
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Two words Food Banks. I'm in a financial situation as well (in college, working, managing a 2 bedroom apartment on my own, no car yet, no food stamps etc.) but the local food banks have helped greatly. Quite a few carry healthy/fresh foods along with the non perishables. I suggest you go to any local food banks. They're usually operated at churches.

Unless some odd circumstances if I was running the food bank I would ask someone living alone in a 2 bedroom apartment to get a roommate to share expenses before providing any food bank aid.

I live alone in a 2 bedroom apartment. Churches are there to help. They help me all the time. I rarely grocery shop. I can't afford it at the moment (I refuse to go on food stamps though because it's too much of a hassle) and they understand. I go to 10 different food banks in my area. They're all supportive (and aware that I go to multiple banks). OP is eligible for help as well. There aren't many strict rules. Three main rules are have low-income (or income not high enough for current expenses), be a local resident, and visit the food bank usually only once or twice per month.
    If you were running the food bank, you would need to be highly trained in advanced lol.
  • peleroja
    Options
    Two words Food Banks. I'm in a financial situation as well (in college, working, managing a 2 bedroom apartment on my own, no car yet, no food stamps etc.) but the local food banks have helped greatly. Quite a few carry healthy/fresh foods along with the non perishables. I suggest you go to any local food banks. They're usually operated at churches.

Unless some odd circumstances if I was running the food bank I would ask someone living alone in a 2 bedroom apartment to get a roommate to share expenses before providing any food bank aid.

I live alone in a 2 bedroom apartment. Churches are there to help. They help me all the time. I rarely grocery shop. I can't afford it at the moment (I refuse to go on food stamps though because it's too much of a hassle) and they understand. I go to 10 different food banks in my area. They're all supportive (and aware that I go to multiple banks). OP is eligible for help as well. There aren't many strict rules. Three main rules are have low-income (or income not high enough for current expenses), be a local resident, and visit the food bank usually only once or twice per month.
    If you were running the food bank, you would need to be highly trained in advanced lol.

I'm really not trying to be rude or derail this thread too much, but is it okay to ask why you are living alone in a two-bedroom apartment if your finances are so stretched? I'm just trying to wrap my head around that.
  • bounmyinthavong
    bounmyinthavong Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't particularly carefor legumes, as I end up leaving most of them on my plate or in my bowl and avoid soups

I know you mentioned no legumes but I thought I would suggest Food Not Bombs, if there is a chapter by you. We give tons of fruits, vegetables, potatoes etc out for free to bring awareness to food waste. All the items are donated items that are blemished or not stock worthy... But most of the time there is nothing wrong with them. Also we serve soups at our servings with tons of left overs for people to take home. Just my two cents. I save a ton on my grocery bill by getting my fruit and veg there for a week.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Hi OP. I'm sorry you are going through this. I also live in BC but we are a family of 6 on one income and I have a disability but do not qualify for any govt help due to my husband's income (working poor). Feel free to PM me or friend add me to talk more. We have struggled a lot with food and have had some great tips given to me from others (couponing, mark downs at certain stores at certain times, reselling items, etc).

For others advice concerning food banks: there are food banks in our province but they are not govt funded. They only rely on donations. Items are random, and often are damaged/expired, etc. For example one would get a bunch of expired bread items, a few canned items, sometimes eggs, sometimes a few snacks or fruit. You absolutely can't rely on them but it is a supplement. Unfortunately, there is also huge stigma here to use them and have to pick it up (hamper) personally so if transportation is an issue-it can be a problem. Also, sometimes Sally Ann etc offer emergency hampers but not all, and not many churches have them offered to the public.

To the bolded: this is completely untrue. I'm in Canada as well and have volunteered at my local food bank sorting donations, and I can tell you that they are absolutely rigid on food safety. Expired anything is thrown out, dented cans too, anything that isn't sealed, etc etc. Tons of donations are rendered unusable because of this, in fact...it often felt like only half what was donated was even usable, honestly. If the date on the bread looks expired, that would only be because it was frozen BEFORE that date and thawed safely to be given out. My local food bank also uses donated egg cartons to repackage flats of donated eggs, so the date on the carton doesn't reflect the items inside.

Please don't be afraid to use the food bank if you need it. I promise that the food there is safe. They would not be permitted to continue operating if their food safety procedures were not up to scratch and they are carefully regulated.

Man, that's not cool. If people are going to donate, they should do better than just getting rid of what nobody can eat.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I'm not sure what highly trained in advanced means. If you are living in a 2 bedroom apartment with no roommate and no good reason not to have someone sharing expenses, you are taking food needlessly from those who really need the assistance IMO.

The savings from sharing rent and utilities would most likely provide more than enough $ for food for one person.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

I'm really not trying to be rude or derail this thread too much, but is it okay to ask why you are living alone in a two-bedroom apartment if your finances are so stretched? I'm just trying to wrap my head around that.

I cannot answer for that poster, but it costs a lot of cash to get money for upfront rent, often a credit or a background check, . . more cash or help to move one's stuff, . . . effort to clean out the old apt.
    Also, depending on the disability, a move might be close to impossible.
    People who can count on financial, physical, emotional, and social/family resources have difficulty understanding.
  • bounmyinthavong
    bounmyinthavong Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I second this comment. Volunteering at both the community and university run food banks, and a recipient in the past (Ontario, Canada); much of the donated items are taken away from possible circulation because of both safety procedures and the fact that they won't be taken. Yes, sometimes the items are random, but it is all donated and depending on the season there isn't much variety... While other times like Christmas and Thanksgiving we are brusting at the seams. Food banks are a great resource and are full of volunteers working hard to have a continuous flow of food. It shouldn't be discredited because many members of the community need it to supplement their living.
  • ashypashy7
    ashypashy7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Canadas food costs is a lot more than the US, 5 dollars here would get you bread and jam IF the jam was on sale. 5 dollars IS the cost of a pound of ground turkey.

Soups and Chillis will be your friend. I buy bulk dry beans at places like The Bulk Barn for next to nothing, even Walmart has a bag of black beans for 2.47 which amounts to over 9 cups cooked. You need to think about building a pantry of some staples and also making your more costly ingredients stretch.

I have gotten our food costs down to 300 a month for two adults and one toddler. I go shopping every week and meal plan around whats on sale that week. I eat mostly vegetarian (ex veg head, chicken or turkey only for me.) and SO eats a meatless meal once a week, and most of his lunches are as well. I put aside X amount of cash to stock up on things that go on sale that we eat OFTEN. I dont buy things on sale if we don't use them often. This trip I spent 20 dollars on various bags of dried beans.

If you buy a whole chicken (8 bucks) you can eat the breasts for two meals, plus boil the rest and make stock and soup which will do you another few meals. Brown rice is not normally more than white (at least not by more than a few cents) and microwave meals tend to actually cost more per meal than making your own food. Beans and a whole grain are a meatless complex carb and both are very cheap.

I'd start with getting some staples like rice, oatmeal, black beans, kidney beans and frozen green beans + canned tomatoes. With that right there all you need is to pick up things to add along with it, IE get a chicken and make stock, use the stock and rice and tomatoes and beans to make soup. Eggs are also fairly cheap and you can do so much with them.

Also price matching helps. The only reason I shop at walmart is because I can get the deals from three stores at one place.

I understand being on a budget and what not, but sometimes you need to cut costs where you can. Do you NEED a cell phone and if so, can you do a pre paid plan (if you already dont) VS a contract. Do you NEED to drive if you can walk, ect.

When I was single, my food bill was 87-133 dollars a month, I worked full time but all my money went to bills. There is always a way :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    ashypashy7 wrote: »
    I'd start with getting some staples like rice, oatmeal, black beans, kidney beans and frozen green beans + canned tomatoes. With that right there all you need is to pick up things to add along with it, IE get a chicken and make stock, use the stock and rice and tomatoes and beans to make soup.
    She refuses to eat beans.

• bbontheb
    Options

No, not is the case. Each food bank is individual and not all are the same. The one in our town absolutely gives items up to 2-3 years expired, dented and damaged items. Of course PB and a few other items are not but they give what the stores donate what they can't sell. I'm not saying the food that is expired is unsafe-ours has a list of what the companies have said it's good for past expiry date.

No, they are not carefully regulated. At least not here. We have had to use it since November so I'm speaking from experience.
  • ashypashy7
    ashypashy7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I'd start with getting some staples like rice, oatmeal, black beans, kidney beans and frozen green beans + canned tomatoes. With that right there all you need is to pick up things to add along with it, IE get a chicken and make stock, use the stock and rice and tomatoes and beans to make soup.
    She refuses to eat beans.

ALL beans? I see.

Try them a few different ways, if you need cheap protein you cant really be that picky.
  • bbontheb
    Options
    Also, the point of saying tht is that it isn't reliable for what items you can get, or would want to eat. When people say just go to the foodbank-it's not that simple.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    scanned the thread and saw some good ideas. Didn't read completely so sorry if I didn't see this already mentioned - any chance you can grow a couple things? You don't need a huge garden, but could you get a tomato plant in a pot on a porch for example? Are there any community gardens you could use? I do understand you have a disability and I don't now if that impacts your ability to tend to some plants or not. If so, perhaps you can get some help from others. I saw churches mentioned above; perhaps folks there could help with a community garden.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

If you buy a whole chicken (8 bucks) you can eat the breasts for two meals, plus boil the rest and make stock and soup which will do you another few meals.

I haven't seen a whole chicken for 8 bucks in a few years :/ but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Was sharing an apartment with my now ex. He got abusive and kicked me out (my fault for dating and moving in with him). I stayed in a hotel for a while but it was too pricey and far from college (I had to take 4 buses to reach campus) so I looked around for more apartments and they all had rent rules (you have to make 2-3x the rent) which my income isn't THAT high. But eventually I found an apartment kinda hidden but directly across from campus. They don't have that rent rule (as long as the rent can be paid). They only have 2 and 3 bedroom apartments available but I took it. It's convenient anyways. School is right there lol.
    Friends/family are suggesting me to get a roommate but after what happened with me and my ex, I may have to wait. I currently have major trust issues ever since it happened.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    grow when you can
    look up square foot gardens
    food banks are great. find good ones. some are better than others
    shop on sale
    shop with coupons
    look up recipes
  • peleroja
    Options

No, not is the case. Each food bank is individual and not all are the same. The one in our town absolutely gives items up to 2-3 years expired, dented and damaged items. Of course PB and a few other items are not but they give what the stores donate what they can't sell. I'm not saying the food that is expired is unsafe-ours has a list of what the companies have said it's good for past expiry date.

No, they are not carefully regulated. At least not here. We have had to use it since November so I'm speaking from experience.

Then you should be reporting them to the provincial government, because it's neither allowable, acceptable, or usual to be providing that kind of food. That is NOT how food banks should be run and there are lots of regulations prohibiting it, I guarantee you.