Low-income help

Options

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    It's not, but if you only have $1 in your pocket, which one can you afford?

That's just poor planning disguised as an excuse.

Do you only have a dollar today ... tomorrow ... the next day ... every day? It doesn't work like that and you are using your financial situation as an excuse to validate your poor choices.

That doesn't work, does it?

• aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    hmm. I think I see. But my guess is she has more than $1. Even $5 can get you a bag of white rice, a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter and a pound of frozen ground turkey (at least at Aldis). Which is way more calories than 5 frozen dinners.

But I see your point about some up front costs.

$5 will get you the turkey or the rice and bread or the bread and PB...

Food is $$$ here in Canada.
  • BirdyWeirdy77
    BirdyWeirdy77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    sounds like my finances. im on ssi, myself.
    I get hardly any food stamps 39 bucks is all i get. the rest comes out of my pocket.
    but anyways. search out a bargain market, like i live in the northwest (spokane,WA) and we have Winco Foods. Me and my boyfriend have done tons of research and found that Winco in our area has the best prices and hurts our wallet the least.
    we even went to the extent of having me at winco, and having my bf at Walmart or another store, to compare prices. the prices will always change, but you can get an idea of the cheaper store. make a list of the stuff you would normally buy, and add up everything and see what stores price adds up to be less.

on top of that, i found that coupons are a waste of time. and those couponing shows are fake.

look for your local deals, it may cost gas, but browse the local stores for good deals, or if you have internet, and the store has a website, look for their specials.

you can always hit the food bank, i have had horrible experience with the food bank. people are rude, and just don't care, they cut in line, and people start to fight. so i just don't go anymore.

i recommended shopping at only ONE store. because we shop one a week for our food. and last month we found our self's shopping at 3 different stores, and spent a lot of money, and where starving at the end of the month.

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    aledba wrote: »
    WBB55 wrote: »
    hmm. I think I see. But my guess is she has more than $1. Even $5 can get you a bag of white rice, a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter and a pound of frozen ground turkey (at least at Aldis). Which is way more calories than 5 frozen dinners.

But I see your point about some up front costs.

$5 will get you the turkey or the rice and bread or the bread and PB...

Food is $$$ here in Canada.
    Like I said to a previous note, but then her frozen meals would be more than they are here, too, right?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I get hardly any food stamps 39 bucks is all i get. the rest comes out of my pocket.
    but anyways. search out a bargain market, like i live in the northwest (spokane,WA) and we have Winco Foods. Me and my boyfriend have done tons of research and found that Winco in our area has the best prices and hurts our wallet the least.
    we even went to the extent of having me at winco, and having my bf at Walmart or another store, to compare prices. the prices will always change, but you can get an idea of the cheaper store. make a list of the stuff you would normally buy, and add up everything and see what stores price adds up to be less.

on top of that, i found that coupons are a waste of time. and those couponing shows are fake.

look for your local deals, it may cost gas, but browse the local stores for good deals, or if you have internet, and the store has a website, look for their specials.

you can always hit the food bank, i have had horrible experience with the food bank. people are rude, and just don't care, they cut in line, and people start to fight. so i just don't go anymore.

i recommended shopping at only ONE store. because we shop one a week for our food. and last month we found our self's shopping at 3 different stores, and spent a lot of money, and where starving at the end of the month.

coupons are not a waste of time.
    sometimes you can even get money back when done to the extreme. seen it and related to people who do it
    I try to save as much as possible with double coupon days, MFR coupons, store specials.
    it takes a lot of work, but if money is tight, it can be worth it-at least in the US

the lds run good food banks. the old ladies were always kind and slipping me an extra container of chocolate milk or insisting we took more veggies.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

coupons are not a waste of time.
    sometimes you can even get money back when done to the extreme. seen it and related to people who do it
    I try to save as much as possible with double coupon days, MFR coupons, store specials.
    it takes a lot of work, but if money is tight, it can be worth it-at least in the US

the lds run good food banks. the old ladies were always kind and slipping me an extra container of chocolate milk or insisting we took more veggies.

I will defend that couponing comment to Americans - here in Canada we don't have the option of "extreme couponing" type savings because coupons are almost always "one per customer" or "one per household" and there is almost always also fine print saying it doesn't combine with any other savings. Nor do we have grocery stores that double the amount like you have down here. Coupons are definitely not going to get you major savings up here, unfortunately.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    You can get cheap frozen meals ($1, small Michaelina's or no name sometimes). It's cheapest to find those cooked deli chickens vs fresh/frozen in the stores. They are not big but you can get the most use out of them.

Poster above had it bang out. $5 will get you pretty much one item..lol. Bread has even gone up a lot so we make a lot of our own when we can.

• Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't know the prices in your country but here it's cheaper to buy flour and make your own bread, pizza dough etc. When I was skint I made everything from scratch in batches and froze it... and it saved me a lot. If you can grow a few plants that will help too (even a couple of tomatoes on the window) x
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Walmart has a savings catcher app for smartphones and I believe you can also use the saving catcher on a computer. You Scan The QR or Barcode on the cash register receipt (or type a code into a form on their website) and it compares what you paid at Walmart to local competitors and determines who had the lower price. You get walmart store credit for the difference when the competition is cheaper. We typically get about 5% credit each trip. It works with most things in the store with a few restrictions. Vast majority of food is covered

Saves running all over town
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I rarely grocery shop. I can't afford it at the moment (I refuse to go on food stamps though because it's too much of a hassle) and they understand. I go to 10 different food banks in my area.

I sincerely hope when you graduate college, get a job and become self sufficient you remember what these food banks did for you. Designed as a band aid to help those without food make it through a day or a week and preventing true starvation you are using as your sole source of food. I hope you take a % of every single paycheck you ever earn in your life and financially support all 10 for decades in thanks for them allowing you to suck up their resources because you find applying for SNAP to be too much of a hassle.

To the OP, is there anyone you can pool grocery money with and then split what you can buy? If you could buy some rice and chicken and things in bulk packages you would both get more for your dollars.

Are there any farms in your area? Some produce farms will give away or sell at an extremely low price produce they consider unfit for sale in a commercial setting.

I don't know anything about Canada. There aren't any social programs or help for people in your situation?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I know you don't like beans, so I won't suggest them, but things like microwave "baked" sweet or white potatoes topped with frozen veggies, quesadillas with just chicken (use bone in thighs or legs) and some frozen veg, ground turkey made into meatballs, sautéed cabbage as a base for a lot of meals, rice, frozen vegetables, lettuce, pasta, canned fish, and I don't know if you guys have a $1 store or something like we have in the U.S, but we can buy canned tomatoes (use as sauce) and many dried herb/seasonings. Soups are your best friend and you can make any flavor combinations you like and freeze them in individual portions for future meals.
    I was extremely poor at one point - $8 to grocery shop for a week for a family of 2. We did eat a lot of rice and beans, pasta, and eggs.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    I rarely grocery shop. I can't afford it at the moment (I refuse to go on food stamps though because it's too much of a hassle) and they understand. I go to 10 different food banks in my area.

I sincerely hope when you graduate college, get a job and become self sufficient you remember what these food banks did for you. Designed as a band aid to help those without food make it through a day or a week and preventing true starvation you are using as your sole source of food. I hope you take a % of every single paycheck you ever earn in your life and financially support all 10 for decades in thanks for them allowing you to suck up their resources because you find applying for SNAP to be too much of a hassle.

To the OP, is there anyone you can pool grocery money with and then split what you can buy? If you could buy some rice and chicken and things in bulk packages you would both get more for your dollars.

Are there any farms in your area? Some produce farms will give away or sell at an extremely low price produce they consider unfit for sale in a commercial setting.

I don't know anything about Canada. There aren't any social programs or help for people in your situation?
    I think she's getting the available help. Obviously, it isn't enough :/
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I am not necessarily low-income (although it definitely seems that way sometimes), but while cutting calories, I have saved a lot of money. As others said, buy foods when they go on sale because they are close to their expiration date and freeze them. Also, most grocery stores throw away the bread at the end of the day that they baked fresh in the morning. Get to know your local grocer and ask if they will give some to you. Canned tuna is cheap and you can do all sorts of stuff with it - make a sandwich, spread it on crackers, put it in with some lettuce for a salad. Costco always sells its Dannon Greek yogurt (18 to a box) for $9.99 about three weeks before they expire, so if you don't have a Costco, I'm sure there are other places which do the same. Hope some of this helps.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

This.
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

This.
    It IS a hassle. Too much government, too much application, potential denial, probably going to the welfare office to get a bunch of crap done. The good thing is, food banks come from people and companies who willingly donate. Food stamps...not so much. I'd rather take donations, not a % of someone's paycheck. I don't want to be in that category of people.
  • 115Everest
    115Everest Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts, so I apologize if I'm repeating something someone already said. Do you have Aldi or Trader Joe's in Canada? They are budgetary lifesavers. Particularly Aldi. Their produce is perfectly fine and tends to be far cheaper than anywhere else, as are most of their other products. They also have great prices on dairy. And canned goods, cereals, etc. Just like any supermarket, you want to look at labels, etc. for content, but it's really an amazing store and I find the products to be of extremely high quality, generally. Trader Joe's is not quite as inexpensive, but you can eat well from there too for far less than supermarket prices. Good luck!
  • erigann
    erigann Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I know you mentioned the dislike of legumes, but if you have a blender there are good homemade black bean brownies or white bean blondies that are really inexpensive & high in protein.

If you're doing the white rice, as mentioned by earlier posters, ground turkey is a great option with some veggies chopped up. Aldis is a great place to find some inexpensive veggies.

If possible another way to stretch the budget is homemade pancakes, you can add in some of the higher fiber flours too.

Plain Yogurt with frozen fruit (defrosted in microwave or overnight in fridge) is another good one for breakfast. Frozen berries tend to be a little less expensive & last longer. Frozen veggies are also often less expensive & last longer than fresh.

Eggs used to be a great inexpensive protein source, but they are rising right now in the us. Skillet veggie omelets or quiche.

I worked years with low income families, not to mention growing up in an extremely low income household, I found a flexible list - that I could adapt based on sales at the local store & bringing a calculator shopping helped a lot. Down here in the US on top of food banks, a lot of our local churches do weekly meals & at these they would send home extra fresh fruits, apples or bananas with the people who come.
    Somewhere I have a huge binder with a bunch of $1 meal plans, but I thinka bunch have beans.

• amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    We have a $12 a week budget for food. I hit the clearance bins at vege shops and I wait for the offal to go on clearance at supermarkets. I then do a big cook up and freeze. For me, at $12 I care more about nutritional value than taste... It's just as well I like offal.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

This.
    It IS a hassle. Too much government, too much application, potential denial, probably going to the welfare office to get a bunch of crap done. The good thing is, food banks come from people and companies who willingly donate. Food stamps...not so much. I'd rather take donations, not a % of someone's paycheck. I don't want to be in that category of people.

This.

What is "that category of people"?

From what you have posted, you are going to several food banks because you over extended yourself on a apartment close to a campus so you don't have to ride a bus and you don't want a roommate to share expenses. Also since one of reasons you don't want to go to the welfare office is potential denial you probably have too much to be taking from food banks.

I hate to tell you, people aren't making donations to a food bank to help people in your apparent situation. It appears there is plenty you can do on your own to pay for food.
  • melissajayne1980
    melissajayne1980 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Your rent seemt so be very high compared to your income. Would it be possible to find something cheaper, hence freeing money for other things? A move doesn't need to cost much: just give a few tenners to some students with a van.

I also work 2 jobs and that helps with the rent, but only from September thru June. The apartment I live in is actually in my parents name and I rent it from them and would go for about $1400/month if they were to rent it with me not there.