41 yr old who's horrible at self-care

Options
2»

Replies

• blessedbyjol8
    blessedbyjol8 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »
    You've won half the battle already, just by recognizing the problem. <3 And wow do I understand, completely! You know how, on airplanes, the flight attendants always tell you to put the oxygen mask on yourself before assisting others? This is kinda the same thing. It's difficult to care for those around you like you really want to and mean to, when you're not caring for yourself. The other thing that I have come to learn is that even when you care for your kid(s) in a way that feels thorough, they notice and emulate the way you care for yourself...at least, that's what I began to notice was happening with my kiddo. That was my real wake-up call.

You are so right! It's like your intention is to love and care for them the best way you can..so you fool yourself in thinking that means only thinking of their needs and ignoring yours..but the true best way to take care of them..is being the example so they can learn from you..how to take care of themselves.

Now I just have to erase 41 years of bad habits..lol.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Your children may not listen to you, but they will always follow your example. Let that be your motivator. Involve them in your fitness plan. I do calisthenics every morning with mine (7, 5, and 1) and we continually challenge each other to do more.

First of all - unless there's a medical emergency don't make drastic changes. Make small changes that will have impact over a long period of time. Make small goals, hit them, and make more small goals. Put up a chart to highlight your success. Celebrate those successes.

Don't eliminate any foods you love, just budget them into your plan.

Now at some point you may hit a plateau, but don't focus on the scale, focus on your positive gains - increased strength, stamina, etc.

Stay active on the forums and build up a good support network on and offline and most importantly - continue logging. If you go over one day, just make up for it the next, or spread it out over the week.

Welcome aboard!

• suejabin2014
    suejabin2014 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi I am a mum of two, and my tip is to wake up at 6 or 7 in the morning and do some exercise, it works for me. All the best x
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I start my workouts at 4am,,,,, its MY TIME,,,, gosh I love my mornings!
  • blessedbyjol8
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Your children may not listen to you, but they will always follow your example. Let that be your motivator. Involve them in your fitness plan. I do calisthenics every morning with mine (7, 5, and 1) and we continually challenge each other to do more.

First of all - unless there's a medical emergency don't make drastic changes. Make small changes that will have impact over a long period of time. Make small goals, hit them, and make more small goals. Put up a chart to highlight your success. Celebrate those successes.

Don't eliminate any foods you love, just budget them into your plan.

Now at some point you may hit a plateau, but don't focus on the scale, focus on your positive gains - increased strength, stamina, etc.

Stay active on the forums and build up a good support network on and offline and most importantly - continue logging. If you go over one day, just make up for it the next, or spread it out over the week.

Welcome aboard!

Awesome advice! Thank you!!!!
  • blessedbyjol8
    Options
    I start my workouts at 4am,,,,, its MY TIME,,,, gosh I love my mornings!

Wow..that's great!

What time do you go to sleep at night?
  • blessedbyjol8
    Options
    Hi I am a mum of two, and my tip is to wake up at 6 or 7 in the morning and do some exercise, it works for me. All the best x

Yes..that's my intent! Good on you for doing it and getting up to exercise!