My French diet challenge (warning, high carbs)

124»

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    jtboner wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    So, what's the diet? Other than your breakfast I see a list of behaviors, and your breakfast content was vague, emphasis seemed to be that your breakfast should be small. Most Americans have a carby breakfast, so I guess I'm not seeing what's so interesting about your breakfast here.

I am not an expert on this diet but I can give you slight more details about the breakfast. And it is supposed to be smaller and more carb focused compared to our encouraged big breakfast with fats, carbs and protein.
    Breakfast can include:
    croissant
    cereal
    pain au chocolat
    yogurt
    fruit (not too much)
    bread/toast with jam

Here is some basic info on the breakfast, I am not an expert on this diet but I only want to see what other people think if they try it
    http://thebaguettediet.com/what-french-people-eat-for-breakfast/

I guess I don't think of Americans being encouraged to, or in practice, eat big breakfasts with fats, carbs and protein, except maybe on Sundays and whatnot. When I think of a typical American eating a typical breakfast, I think of cereal; a bagel, muffin, or pastry; buttered toast with jelly or other carby foods (usually prepared and prepackaged) that can go in a toaster; And coffee, something which too can be a very rich carb-laden breakfast on its own depending on how it's prepared.

And the page you linked me to about typical French breakfast doesn't seem too different from my perceptions of typical American breakfasts. And I wouldn't consider an American ordering a Grand Slam at Denny's on a Sunday to be a 'typical' American breakfast, nor would I think it typical breakfast an American getting an Egg and Sausage McMuffin at the drive thru on a busy morning.

Focusing on keeping portions smaller and not inhaling your food seems like a good plan, though. But neither of these behaviors or strategies strike me as uniquely French. I don't know of any culture, including America, that thinks it virtuous to inhale the food on your plate and to over eat.

• jtboner
    jtboner Posts: 59 Member
    ukaryote wrote: »
    jt, I thought you hit your goal. Is this maintenance for you?
    No bads, whatever works for you is fine.

Thanks :), I was kind of at a lost of what to do once I hit my goal about more than a month ago. To keep me from gaining the weight I pushed back my goal.
  • jtboner
    jtboner Posts: 59 Member
    So, what's the diet? Other than your breakfast I see a list of behaviors, and your breakfast content was vague, emphasis seemed to be that your breakfast should be small. Most Americans have a carby breakfast, so I guess I'm not seeing what's so interesting about your breakfast here.

I am not an expert on this diet but I can give you slight more details about the breakfast. And it is supposed to be smaller and more carb focused compared to our encouraged big breakfast with fats, carbs and protein.
    Breakfast can include:
    croissant
    cereal
    pain au chocolat
    yogurt
    fruit (not too much)
    bread/toast with jam

Here is some basic info on the breakfast, I am not an expert on this diet but I only want to see what other people think if they try it

I guess I don't think of Americans being encouraged to, or in practice, eat big breakfasts with fats, carbs and protein, except maybe on Sundays and whatnot. When I think of a typical American eating a typical breakfast, I think of cereal; a bagel, muffin, or pastry; buttered toast with jelly or other carby foods (usually prepared and prepackaged) that can go in a toaster; And coffee, something which too can be a very rich carb-laden breakfast on its own depending on how it's prepared.

And the page you linked me to about typical French breakfast doesn't seem too different from my perceptions of typical American breakfasts. And I wouldn't consider an American ordering a Grand Slam at Denny's on a Sunday to be a 'typical' American breakfast, nor would I think it typical breakfast an American getting an Egg and Sausage McMuffin at the drive thru on a busy morning.

Focusing on keeping portions smaller and not inhaling your food seems like a good plan, though. But neither of these behaviors or strategies strike me as uniquely French. I don't know of any culture, including America, that thinks it virtuous to inhale the food on your plate and to over eat.

Can you please elaborate on inhaling food????? I've never heard of this. Is this a new diet or trend? Or is this a drug thing? *curiosity*
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    all - how many millions of us? huh.
    Ha, pretty much! It takes a particularly small mind to fit entire nations in a deluded nutshell.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Breakfast can include:
    croissant
    cereal
    pain au chocolat
    yogurt
    fruit (not too much)
    bread/toast with jam

Can you please elaborate on inhaling food????? I've never heard of this. Is this a new diet or trend? Or is this a drug thing? *curiosity*

If you put a Le big mac or a La pizza in front of me, I will practically inhale it :tongue:

• Lourdesong

Breakfast can include:
    croissant
    cereal
    pain au chocolat
    yogurt
    fruit (not too much)
    bread/toast with jam

It means eating really fast.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Breakfast can include:
    croissant
    cereal
    pain au chocolat
    yogurt
    fruit (not too much)
    bread/toast with jam

Without chewing properly.. Guilty of that here :confounded:

• Lourdesong

Breakfast can include:
    croissant
    cereal
    pain au chocolat
    yogurt
    fruit (not too much)
    bread/toast with jam

Without chewing properly.. Guilty of that here :confounded:
    Yup, exactly, pretty much the opposite of savoring. I'm guilty of it too. Esp if I feel famished.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    But I don't see where you would be not eating for 5-6 hours if you are eating 3 meals a day (other than while sleeping, which is true of most everyone).

I do this often (and the not snacking thing works well for me, although I never thought it was especially French).

Get up at 5, and eat around 6 (maybe earlier, maybe a bit later if I run/swim first thing and eat after). Lunch around 12, and dinner around 9.

Now I have 'Mr. Brownstone' by GnR stuck in my head.
  • CrosbyMcDowell
    CrosbyMcDowell Posts: 113 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What about the "Italian" diet?
    When we were visiting Italy, we did as numerous Italians did and ate a big delicious cornetto every morning! That's a huge croissant filled with cream or Nutella! Oh, and a large cup of cappuccino!
    And yet, I stilled managed to maintain! Gotta love that diet!

OMG!!! Cornettos are amazing! We got these white chocolates ones that were incredible! It was 5 years ago and I still dream about those! I lost like 5 lbs during my 3 week trip because of not eating breakfast and walking a ton.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    But I don't see where you would be not eating for 5-6 hours if you are eating 3 meals a day (other than while sleeping, which is true of most everyone).

I do this often (and the not snacking thing works well for me, although I never thought it was especially French).

Get up at 5, and eat around 6 (maybe earlier, maybe a bit later if I run/swim first thing and eat after). Lunch around 12, and dinner around 9.

Now I have 'Mr. Brownstone' by GnR stuck in my head.

Ha! I haven't thought of that song in so long but I can see how it came to mind.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I think it's a bit similar to the No S diet. Any diet will work if it provides a calorie deficit. If you can stick to the diet, it's a good diet for you. I have noticed that if I eat tasty and nutritious food, I am satisfied with less, and thus it's easier to stick to my calorie goal. I'm almost French, too, well at least I'm European. Oh, and we aren't all thin, although we walk, bike and run a lot.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    I thought the French diet consisted solely of baguettes, cigarettes, and wine.

Oh and cheese.

I should have lost tons by now! :D
  • esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I thought the French diet consisted solely of baguettes, cigarettes, and wine.

Oh and cheese.

I am so down with that.

Hah! My brother lived in Holland for many years and the the first time I visited him he asked what I wanted for breakfast. I replied, "How about a typical Dutch breakfast?" His reply, " Sure, that's a cup of coffee and a cigarette!". LOL