gluten free

hazelfg
hazelfg Posts: 6 Member
I am not new, but every time I got started , things happened. I hope I can put this on my tablet as well, as we are gone a lot. I will try !! :) any one else need gluten free ? Tell me what you eat please. I am new to that way of eating ! My name is Fran, 67 years old. :o

Replies

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    hazelfg wrote: »
    I am not new, but every time I got started , things happened. I hope I can put this on my tablet as well, as we are gone a lot. I will try !! :) any one else need gluten free ? Tell me what you eat please. I am new to that way of eating ! My name is Fran, 67 years old. :o
    I switched from refined white baked products to 100% whole grain with stellar results.

I am reading a book called "Wheat Belly" which takes diet a bit further with gluten free.
    If others have had some experience with this, I'd sure like to know.

I am not sold on gluten free yet.
  • ladylaume
    ladylaume Posts: 81 Member
    I have to be gluten free as i found out I have Celiacs and I love the rice pastas and three bakers bread is awesome! however I miss pizza and breadsticks still havnt found a good gf kind yet. If I stick to it I feel amazing I keep the weight off I can go to the bathroom like a real person! However not knowing for so long and tasting real food is hard and i slip up from time to time im only human...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    My husband I eat no gluten at home although I allow him to eat it outside the house. We buy gluten free Soy Sauce and we keep Udi's GF bread in the freezer. Our main source of carbs is naturally GF -- rice. We also eat potatoes and thus do not miss bread.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    I've been Gluten free due to Celiacs for almost 3 years. I eat a LOT of fruits and vegetables, egg whites, Blue diamond almonds, Breyers Icecream, Greek yogurt, tuna fish, salmon, flax seeds, Chex gluten free original oatmeal, Pb2, Franklin Farms veggiburger, Tofu, baked potato, Quest protein bars, Sam mills gluten free pastas, string cheese, Udi's whole grain gluten free bread, uncle bens brown rice, Snyder's gluten free pretzels, ect... On the rare times that I go to McDonald's I do eat the small fries and haven't had a problem with them. I also get their Premium Bacon Ranch salad with grilled chicken and Newman's Own low fat dressing... If I need to fix something quick for dinner I found that Amys gluten free frozen meals taste good and most are not high in fat and sodium.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Has your doctor instructed you to go gluten free, is it just something you want to try? Only about 8% of the population actually have a medical problem with gluten. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just maybe unnecessary.
  • jupitermoon7
    jupitermoon7 Posts: 3 Member
    I was diagnosed yesterday with Celiac disease and will see a dietician next week and get blood work done for some malnutrition concerns. I feel so overwhelmed! I didn't realize that so many products have wheat in them! I got so sick from teriyaki sauce this week. My husband and I are now downloading apps with scanners to find hidden gluten. I'm also lactose intolerant. I'm literally feeling like this food change will be impossible :s
  • FitPhillygirl
    I was diagnosed yesterday with Celiac disease and will see a dietician next week and get blood work done for some malnutrition concerns. I feel so overwhelmed! I didn't realize that so many products have wheat in them! I got so sick from teriyaki sauce this week. My husband and I are now downloading apps with scanners to find hidden gluten. I'm also lactose intolerant. I'm literally feeling like this food change will be impossible :s

I felt the same way after being diagnosed with Celiacs 3 years ago. At first it was very overwhelming because as you said, wheat is in so many things that we consume today. However, with the help of scanning apps, and from speaking with others with this disease it has gotten so much easier. I think the cross contamination has been the hardest this for me.
  • erigann
    erigann Posts: 45 Member
    I have a wheat allergy, but all the gluten free foods help a lot. I have a few other allergies, carrots, beef, yeast & soy - so I eat almost 0 processed foods. I have a lot of problems when I eat corn products, but didn't have a positive allergy test for corn
    I haven't been doing carbs for breakfast or lunch, but dinner I rotate buckwheat pasta, lentil pasta, rice, potatoes, cauliflower (mashed), sometimes I do a rice tortilla toasted.
    I did eat a bunch of potato chips the other day at a work part - but I brought them
  • erigann
    erigann Posts: 45 Member
    Oh & once in awhile I will eat against the grain pizza crust or baguette - really good & high in calories, but I think it's better than wheat!
  • NCGOALIEMOM
    NCGOALIEMOM Posts: 82 Member
    I've been gluten free for over 10 years. While there are TONS of gluten free options out there now, I try to stay away from them as really, they are no better for you than their gluten counterparts (processed with a ton of crap in them). I do a lot of shopping at the asian market. I get rice noodles and rice there (although we really don't eat much of either). I eat a primarily vegan diet so my foods consist of a lot of fruits/veggies/salads/beans/nuts and seeds.

One of my favorites is to spiralize squash (zucchini or yellow) and make those my "pasta". We do purchase the Udi's premade pizza crusts though... and use those to make awesome veggie pizzas with.
  • NCGOALIEMOM
    For those new to the transition, understand it will feel overwhelming in the beginning. When my daughter was first diagnosed with allergies I thought "oh... wheat allergy, no problem! I'll buy white bread" LOL I remember standing in the grocery store crying. You learn ways around things. Now, if you come across a recipe that calls for cream of chicken or mushroom soup, you make your own (I never do the mushroom... I just take a chicken or vegetable stock (veggie if I'm eating it). Melt some butter... throw in some rice flour to make a rue... then add stock till it's the consistency you need for the recipe. Look out for things like soy sauce (contains gluten) and get tamari or braggs aminos instead. Spices have hidden gluten in them quite often. The lovely thing about gluten is that it's a top 8 and HAS to be called out on the ingredient list, so you just learn to read labels and look for the WHEAT at the allergen section. Now a days gluten free has become so common, it's significantly easier than when I first started on this journey. I've become a pro at it, so if anyone has questions or needs ways to modify recipes, just add me and I'm happy to help out. I remember how helpless I felt in the beginning.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Fran you don't need to eat gluten free if you don't have coeliac disease. Gluten is not actually unhealthy.

• Spice1973
    Spice1973 Posts: 83 Member
    My husband went gluten free after doing an elimination diet and figuring out that gluten is what had been causing his joint pain everywhere in his body for 20 years. His joints only hurt now if he gives in to a craving and eats something with gluten in it. We found a really good bread and baking mix that tastes fantastic. It's called Pamela's. Our local grocery stores carry it now so it should be easy to find. He also uses gluten free pasta noodles from Tinkyada brown rice pasta which Wal Mart carries that taste way better than the other ones we have tried.
  • FitPhillygirl
    edited August 2015
    Patttience wrote: »
    Fran you don't need to eat gluten free if you don't have coeliac disease. Gluten is not actually unhealthy.

This is so true. Personally if I didn't have CD I never would have gone GF.
  • NCGOALIEMOM
    Eileen_S wrote: »

I disagree with this on a certain level. Unless you are eating organic wheat, you are eating genetically modified wheat which has it's own set of health issues. Secondary to that, wheat causes an inflammatory response in the body, so anyone with arthritis or joint issues will literally feel a million times better eliminating it. It's not all that we've been made out to think it is.
  • Spice1973
    NCRawGirl wrote: »

I disagree with this on a certain level. Unless you are eating organic wheat, you are eating genetically modified wheat which has it's own set of health issues. Secondary to that, wheat causes an inflammatory response in the body, so anyone with arthritis or joint issues will literally feel a million times better eliminating it. It's not all that we've been made out to think it is.

So true!
  • FitPhillygirl
    edited August 2015

Here we go!!!! There are NO clinical studies out there which show that Gluten is "unhealthy" for "everyone". Those things that you mention here are are also caused by other things, not Gluten. There is no need for a heathy person without CD or a sensitivity to Gluten to avoid it.
  • Spice1973
    No one ever said everyone would react.
  • NCGOALIEMOM

Here we go!!!! There are NO clinical studies out there which show that Gluten is "unhealthy" for "everyone". Those things that you mention here are are also caused by other things, not Gluten. There is no need for a heathy person without CD or a sensitivity to Gluten to avoid it.

Except for all of us that feel a million times better NOT eating it... yet have never had any conclusive medical tests confirming CD or Sensitivity. A lot of people don't realize how crappy they truly feel until they stop eating it.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    For sure don't eat a bunch of crap food marketed gluten free. Just eat veggies, meats, and gluten free starches.