gluten free

2»

Replies

• forwardmoving
    forwardmoving Posts: 96 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »
    My husband I eat no gluten at home although I allow him to eat it outside the house. We buy gluten free Soy Sauce and we keep Udi's GF bread in the freezer. Our main source of carbs is naturally GF -- rice. We also eat potatoes and thus do not miss bread.

You "allow" him?!

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »
    My husband I eat no gluten at home although I allow him to eat it outside the house. We buy gluten free Soy Sauce and we keep Udi's GF bread in the freezer. Our main source of carbs is naturally GF -- rice. We also eat potatoes and thus do not miss bread.

You "allow" him?!

Lol, I was thinking the same thing when I read that. :D
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    There are plenty of foods naturally gluten free, oatmeal, corn based tortillas,chips, and cereals. You can make your own veggie pastas with spaghetti squash. You can make cauliflower crusts and veggie chips. I do not eat gluten free but I do limit my consumption of white flour products. good luck!
  • jupitermoon7
    jupitermoon7 Posts: 3 Member
    I'm on day 3 of going GF since being diagnosed with Celiac. Actually probably today was the first day I was truly GF. I had no idea there was gluten in the dunkin donuts flavored coffee I was making at home until I researched it after I continued to be sick. Anyway even without being entirely GF I'm losing weight rapidly. I'm assuming this is a result of reducing the inflammation and not really weight loss. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    I'm on day 3 of going GF since being diagnosed with Celiac. Actually probably today was the first day I was truly GF. I had no idea there was gluten in the dunkin donuts flavored coffee I was making at home until I researched it after I continued to be sick. Anyway even without being entirely GF I'm losing weight rapidly. I'm assuming this is a result of reducing the inflammation and not really weight loss. Has anyone else experienced this?

I lost weight as well. However, I think that had more to do with giving up things like cereal every morning, and soft pretzels, lol.
  • sharpsquirl
    sharpsquirl Posts: 5 Member
    I'm new and also going gluten free, I have lupus and study's say it can go In remission with a gluten free diet but I struggle because I have a family of 9 that I cook for and I find myself cheating, how do I cook everything and not be so tempted, I could use friends and support
  • jupitermoon7
    jupitermoon7 Posts: 3 Member
    I have just begun my GF journey and initially felt guilty that my family would suffer from my food restrictions. However after reading up on the seriousness of celiac and how cross contamination can put me back to square one and constantly sick I decided we could try to do it. For breakfast and lunch they still eat the same thing - cereal, waffles and sandwiches. I eat fruit or GF oatmeal and salads. For dinner we are using emeals.com it's a weekly menu planner and we use the gluten free options. It's been great not to come up with entirely new menu's. The only drawback is a lot of the meals don't have a starch so we cook potatoes or rice with it. Good luck!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    I have been GF for a year now, apart from eating out I am finding it pretty easy as I tend to cook from scratch these days so I know what is in my food. I eat a wide variety of food.

Breakfast can be GF cereals, omelette, banana pancakes, a poached egg on a potato waffle, a piece of GF toast with smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. GF oat porridge with fruit or a tablespoon of peanut butter.

Lunch normally salad with chicken or tuna, home made soup, quark with fruit or cottage cheese on GF Crispbread.

Dinner: Fish/red meat/white meat with steamed vegetables. I love my slow cooker at the weekends, and use it a lot. Home made bolognese with GF pasta. Jacket potato with tuna and sweet corn or chicken.

Snacks: Homous/cottage cheese with vegetable sticks. Muller rice with fruit. Fruit salad, a handful of nuts and seeds.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Patttience wrote: »
    Fran you don't need to eat gluten free if you don't have coeliac disease. Gluten is not actually unhealthy.
    Actually a lot of people are gluten intolerant so having CD is not a necessity. I get CD symptoms form cross contamination alone, and get sick for days if I consume any gluten at all. Of course the majority of the population do not need to go GF but there is a large number who simply cannot eat Gluten without getting sick.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Two of us in my home have Celiac; the other two eat GF at home. Cross-contamination is too big a risk, and it's really nice for our own kitchen to be 100% GF. The others can eat out and eat whatever they like; for us, home is the only place we feel we aren't taking a risk when we're eating. It was actually my husband's idea that the kitchen be 100% gluten free; I hadn't wanted to force that on him, but we've been fine, and I am beyond grateful to have such a supportive partner.

For me it's been seven or eight years at this point, and it's really no problem.

Back to the original post: I gained weight after going GF. Others in my family did, too, though a couple lost weight and bloating caused by reactions to gluten. At the Celiac conferences, they say both reactions are perfectly natural. Good luck. The first year is the hardest as you find gluten is in everything you love (I still miss malt), but it becomes second nature, and the food you can't have isn't tempting because you associate it with the horrible reactions you'll have. I dream of having a good bagel, but if you offered me a bite of a gluteny one, I would cringe away as though you were offering me a bite of arsenic or shards of glass.
  • amyleighgergis
    amyleighgergis Posts: 1 Member
    ladylaume wrote: »
    I have to be gluten free as i found out I have Celiacs and I love the rice pastas and three bakers bread is awesome! however I miss pizza and breadsticks still havnt found a good gf kind yet. If I stick to it I feel amazing I keep the weight off I can go to the bathroom like a real person! However not knowing for so long and tasting real food is hard and i slip up from time to time im only human...

I also am a diagnosed celiac and I have avoided gluten and tried avoiding gluten free food as they aren't fantastic to eat and have little nutrition. By avoiding gluten free foods I have found natural ways to enjoy food I I've without using any processed products. For pizza a homemade cauliflower base is amazing. There's are plenty of recipes online. Also substituting pasta and things for more natural options like zucchini noodles and zucchini lasagne from time to time is awesome. There are great recipes on pinterest and Google!
  • hazelfg
    hazelfg Posts: 6 Member
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    For sure don't eat a bunch of crap food marketed gluten free. Just eat veggies, meats, and gluten free starches.

that's what I have been doing. I feel so much better ! :)
  • hazelfg
    hazelfg Posts: 6 Member
    Patttience wrote: »
    Fran you don't need to eat gluten free if you don't have coeliac disease. Gluten is not actually unhealthy.
    wheat allergy ! I feel much better now without gluten, no more headaches either.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    I was gluten (and dairy) free for a year and a half and this website was a life savor. I like to cook at home and the recipes are delicious and many of them are super easy to make. Even though I've since added gluten back into my diet, I still make her recipes often.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/
  • AnnaMcComas
    AnnaMcComas Posts: 3 Member
    I have to be gluten-free also, due to celiac disease. Always thought it would be a hard transition but it's been relatively easy. I buy fresh meat and veggies as well as the gluten-free brands, but I read ingredient list for the gluten ingredients. I try eating as clean as possible but, when I use processed foods, I try to get certified gluten-free. For baking, I'm trying Cup 4 Cup flour (gluten free) which was recommended by my dietitian/nutritionist. I haven't baked anything with it yet so I can't say how good it is. It is expensive $18 and change for 3 lb. Gluten is the enemy only if you have celiac disease or if eating GF makes you feel better. I read about your headaches. Try avoiding carrageenan as well (derived from red seaweed and used as a thickener in a multitude of products). I have a friend who has found that that has contributed to her migraines.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,246 Member
    While I don't have Celiac, I have discovered through trial and error that I am seriously gluten sensitive. I suffered for years with terrible migraine headaches. I would avoid known triggers like MSG and red wine, but I would still get headaches, often waking up with a full blown migraine that would last for days. In a good week I would only have 1 migraine, but sometimes it was 2 or 3 a week. It has been very debilitating over the years.

A couple years ago I also began to have mysterious break-outs of hives with intense itching. It would come and go without any particular exposure that I could tell. I went to many, many doctors and had a full allergy work-up, but did not test positive for any of the usual allergens including wheat. My acupuncturist recommended I try a gluten-free diet for a few months to see if my symptoms would improve. Guess what? The itching went away after just a few days and I went nearly 6 months without a migraine headache. After nearly a year eating gluten-free I decided to test the waters. I began to eat gluten containing items again. A sandwich here, some pizza there. I didn't have any reaction for several weeks until one day I realized I was starting to itch again. Then I had a full blown migraine headache a couple days later. That was enough for me to really understand that gluten was the trigger. No more gluten foods for me. Gluten allergy or gluten sensitivity - what's really the difference if it negatively affects your health?

While I do sometimes miss yeasty bread and regular pasta, some of the GF foods are pretty good. I'm not a fan of GF bread so I eat a lot of rice or corn tortillas. For pasta dishes I use half GF spaghetti (quinoa & corn) along with spiralized zucchini noodles. I cook almost exclusively GF including baked goods. I serve all these items to my husband, family and friends and no one has ever even noticed they were eating something GF. Lots of great GF recipes out there on the internet. I just "google" whatever I'm looking for and voila!
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    I don't have a gluten intolerance but a fructan intolerance (the carbohydrate in wheat) . My doctor put me on a low FODMAP diet (which requires wheat elimination, as well as other things) and I have never felt better.

As others have said, I stick to lots of fruits, veggies, fish, and other grains (loads of rice)!

When I have a strong desire for baked goods (I like to bake), my go-to source is the King Arthur Flour web site (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free) which has loads of great gluten-free recipes. You don't even have to use their gluten-free flours -- they give a good recipe for a gluten-free baking mix. My husband even prefers the gluten-free brownies to the regular ones I used to bake. Check it out if you're a baker.