Can anyone explain to me macros?

Options
So my fitness friend, told me to get on this plan of hers to gain weight, I've been doing that, and to my surprise I lost 5lbs :( I was upset at her, but it's not her fault, she was just trying to help. My sister told me about macros, (carbs, fat, protein) but didn't really go in depth. Help? Suggestions/advice? I weigh 125lbs, 27yrs, 5'2 (if that matters)

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Macro-nutrients are just that- carbs- fat and protein. They are the nutrients that provide energy- you need them to live.

Micro-nutrients are the smaller things vital to our over all health- but these are things like iron, potassium, Vit D, Vit K etc etc- you need them- but generally eating a variety of food will get you these things without you going out of your way.

In order to gain weight though- macros ultimately take a back seat to you're calories.

If you are not in a calorie surplus- you won't gain. SO having a perfect macro split- but not being in a surplus means you aren't getting anywhere.

Think calorie surplus first- macros second.

How much are you looking to gain?
    And are you lifting on a progressive loading program?
  • jendiaz9732
    jendiaz9732 Posts: 285 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm looking to gain 10 more lb, I am at 125 now, and lost 5lbs somehow. I'm not on a specific program, recently I have been lifting 4X a week and two days of cardio. I'm on a 2100 calorie diet and have a surplus usually of 500-700.
    You say surplus first then macros. So make sure I have excess and then focus on what I eat (macros) to gain?
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    So if I am on a 2100 calorie diet and I usually burn 400 calories during workouts, that means I have to eat 2500 calories per day?
  • hannibalholt89
    hannibalholt89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    are those 400 cals you burning from cardio?
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    No weights
  • JoRocka
    Options
    drop the cardio.
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    Completely? Okay! Thank you!!!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Completely? Okay! Thank you!!!

cardio burns calories. IF you're struggling to gain- doing cardio means eating more calories.

At least drop it for the time being until you get a better handle on your food situation. You might just drop the cardio- and change nothing with your food.

If you are still losing- or not gaining after 3 weeks- up the food by 150 calories- wait another 3-4 weeks.

Change one thing at a time- wait 3-4 weeks to see the results/impact of that alteration.

If nothing happens- increase- or change again.

If desired results are happening- keep on keeping on until you stall for a period of 3-4 weeks.
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    Okay yes I am. Thanks soooooo much you've been soooo helful, I really appreciate it! :) And I will take all your advice into consideration and wait until I see what's working. YOU ARE AWESOME!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    No weights

what are you using to get a 400 calorie burn from weight lifting?

are you doing TDEE or MFP method?
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    TDEE
  • Bansh3e
    Bansh3e Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Easy at it goes. 1 gram protein = 4 calories, 1 gram carbohydrates equals 4 calories and 1 gram Fat equals 9 calories,oh and alcohol equals 7 calories.
  • le4hbe4h
    le4hbe4h Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    To gain 1lb you have to be on a surplus of 3500 extra a week above maintenance. I suggest a slow gain so you aren't gaining as much fat.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    TDEE

OK - then why are you worried about burns from lifting, which, by the way, seems high to me.

Just figure out what a half pound week gain is and eat to that number. If you are not gaining then add in 100 calories a day until you start gaining at the rate that you want.
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    Bansh3e wrote: »
    Easy at it goes. 1 gram protein = 4 calories, 1 gram carbohydrates equals 4 calories and 1 gram Fat equals 9 calories,oh and alcohol equals 7 calories.

Thanks that helps aaaaa looooot!!!
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    le4hbe4h wrote: »
    To gain 1lb you have to be on a surplus of 3500 extra a week above maintenance. I suggest a slow gain so you aren't gaining as much fat.

Thank you!!
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    TDEE

OK - then why are you worried about burns from lifting, which, by the way, seems high to me.

Just figure out what a half pound week gain is and eat to that number. If you are not gaining then add in 100 calories a day until you start gaining at the rate that you want.

I may have miscommunicated. I meant 400 altogether with cardio. But thank you will do!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    TDEE

I may have miscommunicated. I meant 400 altogether with cardio. But thank you will do!
    If you're doing TDEE then you shouldn't be counting your burns- I adjust all mine so they are 1's- the only ones I don't are my runs- I set the calories for as many miles as I ran 1 = 1 mile 2 = two miles etc etc. that way I know specifically how long I ran that day.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    TDEE

my point is that if you are doing TDEE you should not concern yourself with exercise calories burned.