Can anyone explain to me macros?

Options

Replies

• hopemula4
    hopemula4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Drop the cardio 100% I'm on a weight gaining journey and I know cardio makes it so much harder even makes you lose weight instead of gaining. Make shakes with peanut butter,bananas,raw old fashion oatmeal,protein power,almond milk or just cow milk and ice. Drink one at least once a day especially after weight lifting. And it's very beneficial if you drink one before bed. Also look up over night oats guaranteed weight gain I have a recipe I made and it's a very high calorie food and won't overly stuff you. Don't even lift to much either stick to squats so you can have a perfect butt with weight gain and squats also makes you bigger the muscle gets toned. I'll send you a friend request and I'll post high calorie recipes and you'll be to your goal in no time.
  • jendiaz9732
    jendiaz9732 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    hopemula4 wrote: »
    Drop the cardio 100% I'm on a weight gaining journey and I know cardio makes it so much harder even makes you lose weight instead of gaining. Make shakes with peanut butter,bananas,raw old fashion oatmeal,protein power,almond milk or just cow milk and ice. Drink one at least once a day especially after weight lifting. And it's very beneficial if you drink one before bed. Also look up over night oats guaranteed weight gain I have a recipe I made and it's a very high calorie food and won't overly stuff you. Don't even lift to much either stick to squats so you can have a perfect butt with weight gain and squats also makes you bigger the muscle gets toned. I'll send you a friend request and I'll post high calorie recipes and you'll be to your goal in no time.

Thanks so much you're awesome! Yes I will do the milkshakes for sure, and not doing the cardio eesh. Overnight oats like prepping it and eating in am? Ok thanks again!!!
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Don't even lift to much either stick to squats so you can have a perfect butt with weight gain and squats also makes you bigger the muscle gets toned.
    I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. Squats are not lifting. They are body weight exercises. Don't lift too much? If OP wants to gain weight, she needs to lift heavy while eating at a surplus.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    aledba wrote: »
    Don't even lift to much either stick to squats so you can have a perfect butt with weight gain and squats also makes you bigger the muscle gets toned.
    I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. Squats are not lifting. They are body weight exercises. Don't lift too much? If OP wants to gain weight, she needs to lift heavy while eating at a surplus.

squats are not lifting??? so my 235# barbell squats from today was not lifting….?? hmmmmmmm
  • ndj1979
    Options

I disagree with 100% dropping cardio …I would say that for general healthy OP could do 30 minutes a week of light cardio and it would not affect progress on gains...
  • praswant
    praswant Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Resistant training helps you to maintain your metabolism. If you do a high level of resistant training, the faster your metabolism burn your caloric intake. Cardio training is for your heart and blood. If you need to gain weight, you need to reduce your resistant training. Eat high caloric food at night before bedtime, you will gain some weight, just like a sumo wrestler does. Also, on myfitnesspal, you should click "gain weight" when you customize your macronutrients.
  • jendiaz9732
    Options

Yes I am lifting to gain. Thank you!
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I disagree with 100% dropping cardio …I would say that for general healthy OP could do 30 minutes a week of light cardio and it would not affect progress on gains...

I suppose I could eventually do 30min a week. But for now I am cutting off, because it made me lose. So I will play by ear see what I gain in the next few weeks. Thanks for your input!
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    praswant wrote: »
    Resistant training helps you to maintain your metabolism. If you do a high level of resistant training, the faster your metabolism burn your caloric intake. Cardio training is for your heart and blood. If you need to gain weight, you need to reduce your resistant training. Eat high caloric food at night before bedtime, you will gain some weight, just like a sumo wrestler does. Also, on myfitnesspal, you should click "gain weight" when you customize your macronutrients.

Okay so now I am confused. Isn't resistance training lifting weights? So I should cut back on that? (Sigh). Yes I have my weight gain/macro nutrients adjusted in my MFP. Thank you!
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

Okay so now I am confused. Isn't resistance training lifting weights? So I should cut back on that? (Sigh). Yes I have my weight gain/macro nutrients adjusted in my MFP. Thank you!

Personally I wouldn't follow that advice. To me it comes across as bro science. Do you want to gain muscle? Then definitely don't drop the weight training.
    Yes, more muscle might increase your bmr a bit in the long run, but in short term cardio burns more calories than weight training will.

JoRocka and ndj1979 are pretty knowledgeable. I'd stick with their advice.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

squats are not lifting??? so my 235# barbell squats from today was not lifting….?? hmmmmmmm

Poster meant squats without weight is not lifting. :smile:
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »

Personally I wouldn't follow that advice. To me it comes across as bro science. Do you want to gain muscle? Then definitely don't drop the weight training.
    Yes, more muscle might increase your bmr a bit in the long run, but in short term cardio burns more calories than weight training will.

JoRocka and ndj1979 are pretty knowledgeable. I'd stick with their advice.

Thank you will do!
  • ndj1979
    Options

Poster meant squats without weight is not lifting. :smile:

hmmm funny since they said "squats" and did not qualify it...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    WTH?!!?!?!?! neither of you seem to have any idea of what you're talking about.

Listen OP

Eat in a surplus
    Lift on a program
    Rest
    Sleep

Lather
    Rinse
    Repeat.

On the subject of cardio:
    Do cardio if it makes you happy- but if you're really struggling with gaining- keep it to a minimum or even cut it entirely for a few weeks. Cardio work IS important- but sometimes you have to shift the focus to accomplish a goal. When I'm gaining- I don't do any dedicated cardio work- I am a pro dancer- I dance 10-15 hours a week- that's more than enough to check the box in my book. When I'm cutting- I add running/jump rope/stair master to the program.
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    Lol. Okay thank you I will take your word! Eating in surplus this is my third day trying it out! Not weighing myself any time soon! Eventually will add on my cardio once I reached my goal. :) Muchas gracias!!!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    I drop cardio during a bulk, but crank-up the intensity with the weights.

And since I am bulking, I already have a resource-rich food ramp enabling me to lift heavier and lifting heavier fuels more feeds.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

FTW....

back%2Bsquat%2B2.jpg

OP...if you want to put on weight, hit the weight room hard and eat...i personally wouldn't drop cardio completely, but you could reduce it...cardio is going to increase your calorie requisites which is fine...but the more you do, the more you have to eat...

To gain weight you need to consume more energy (calories) than you can burn off...eat more or do less or some combo thereof...you're over-complicated something which is not complicated.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options

Squats are not lifting? Tell that to the 45lb barbell with 2 25lb plates I did 3 sets of 10 reps with last night prior to deadlifting it for the same number of times along with some other things for leg day. I promise I was lifting. And lots of the guys in my gym think it's awesome that I am so dedicated to it. (Tonight I will be doing chest and triceps. Tomorrow back and biceps, then shoulders and abs, then chest and triceps again because it's my weakest area.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

MY-WHOLE-BRAIN-IS-CRYING.gif
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    I drop cardio during a bulk, but crank-up the intensity with the weights.

And since I am bulking, I already have a resource-rich food ramp enabling me to lift heavier and lifting heavier fuels more feeds.

Thank you kind sir!