What would you do?

Options
I purchased Koffee Kup seeded hamburger buns which state the serving size is 1 roll/48 grams at 150cal. I weighed the roll and it is 56 grams. Would you record 150 calories or 175 calories?

Replies

• fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    175 because thats what it is.
  • AngelaAlario
    AngelaAlario Posts: 46 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It really pisses me off because I thought I was buying 150 calorie buns not 175!
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    The correct amount or could cut a small piece off to actually get the 150 cal
  • stephw262
    stephw262 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How much did you eat? I would probably cut pieces off the bun until it weighed 48g, otherwise calculate the calories that I actually ate.

• AngelaAlario
    edited August 2015
    Options
    stephw262 wrote: »
    How much did you eat? I would probably cut pieces off the bun until it weighed 48g, otherwise calculate the calories that I actually ate.

LOL well we actually made "big mac's" for dinner tonight which were AMAZING btw and I had to cut part of another bun off, that is why I even bothered to weigh the bun to begin with!

So in total I ate 1.5 servings of bun even though if I went by the package it would have been more like 1.25. Damn it! More calories than I hoped for but I'm not regretting it one bit ;-)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Why would you record it at 150 if it is not that? Honestly what I would do is shave off 8 grams and make my boyfriend eat it and log 150.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    And this is why you should always weigh your food. The packages lie. A lot!
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I purchased Koffee Kup seeded hamburger buns which state the serving size is 1 roll/48 grams at 150cal. I weighed the roll and it is 56 grams. Would you record 150 calories or 175 calories?
    The nutritional info are estimates. If you're weighing, go with your calculations based on your exact measurements.
  • AngelaAlario
    edited August 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Why would you record it at 150 if it is not that? Honestly what I would do is shave off 8 grams and make my boyfriend eat it and log 150.

I would record 150 because it says a serving is one bun. I'm relatively pissed at the company now that they can say the serving size is 1 bun (48 grams) when they must KNOW that each bun weighs considerably more at 56 grams.

What if I didn't weigh it? I would have consumed 25 more calories than I had intended or wanted.
  • arditarose
    Options

I would record 150 because it says a serving is one bun. I'm relatively pissed at the company now that they can say the serving size is 1 bun (48 grams) when they must KNOW that each bun weighs considerably more at 56 grams.

They're allowed to be a little off. Some buns might be UNDER, some right on.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Food manufacturers can have up to a 20% discrepancy in their values. Your bun was less than 20% higher. This is why you should weigh EVERYTHING.
  • AngelaAlario
    Options

Actually it's highly unlikely that they will ever be under. Manufacturers are required to have at least 99% of the stated weight in a package which means they are more than likely to err on the side of being over.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

Actually it's highly unlikely that they will ever be under. Manufacturers are required to have at least 99% of the stated weight in a package which means they are more than likely to err on the side of being over.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks, OP, for posting this. I hadn't been weighing anything that had the calorie count on the package. I will now!!!!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would probably just log what the package says, but I also tend to eat a lot of the same foods (meaning that my slice of bread might be slightly higher one day, but the next slice might be less, averaging out) and I tend to leave some calories behind at the end of the day to account for small discrepancies. I have a decent calorie allowance per day to do that though. YMMV and I probably would be tighter with my logging if I had fewer calories to work with each day or I wasn't losing weight.
  • arditarose
    Options

Okay. Well I've weighed out some things that have definitely been under. My frozen yogurt tends to be under for the pint.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    My English Muffins and whole grain hot dog buns are usually under. I don't adjust those calories. If they are over, I just tear some off, or adjust.