Any D.I.N.K.s out there?

Options
StarChanger
StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
My hubby and I have slowly watched our list of friends dwindle over the years. I think this is fairly common with everyone, especially in your early 20s-30s, as people tend to pair up, get busy with careers, and start having kids. Add in the semi-awkward nature of being a single person hanging out with married folks, and the list drops again. The people with kids, however, seem to eventually grow a new set of friends due to typical parenting duties such as PTA, sports, childcare, etc.

And then there's us. Dual-income, No Kids. We're fun too! We have dogs (and parrots!) that we adore and treat as our furry-kids. We're spontaneous....just load those fuzzy beasts in the back of the SUV and we're off! Or we can leave them at home, unattended, and no one will call the cops! But we're kinda, sorta, lonely. There doesn't seem to be many of us. Surely there are others out there!?!

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Not married, but a DINK with two fur babies. A lot of our friends are having children now (early 30's).
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    i just want something that says DINK on my newsfeed as my FL will assume its something completely freaky.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    What Wolf said...

My SO and I aren't DINK's in that I have a child from a previous relationship. But we are pretty close to DINK's given how often it's just the two of us and how mature she is.

We LOVE it....people are out there....you just have to find them...and be prepared to go out of your age group....
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Nice thread.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    We are working on being DINKS...our boy is almost 11, and we're pretty young parents. We don't have any friends, due to the fact that our friends are still in university, or JUST starting making babies. My fiance and I don't want babies, so we're kind of stuck. We tried making friends with parents that have kids our son's age, turns out we really don't like them lol so we have our friends that have babies, our friends that don't have kids at all, and we're sort of the odd ones out. I'm ok with that. It just gets lonely sometimes :)
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    ohmygosh this is me and my fiance.

Even the single friends we have are so lazy and rarely want to do anything.

My dog IS my child and she is so adorable and fuzzy.

We also don't need to worry as much about where our money is going and can save, save, save.
  • 4jamaica
    4jamaica Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    DINK here. It's rough, at times, to take the no-kids route, but that's what we did (partly by choice, partly by rotten eggs).
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    What Wolf said...

My SO and I aren't DINK's in that I have a child from a previous relationship. But we are pretty close to DINK's given how often it's just the two of us and how mature she is.

We LOVE it....people are out there....you just have to find them...and be prepared to go out of your age group....

how mature she is? she has to be a teenager.

The whole thing about being a DINK for me, is that I rarely want to contact my friends with kids because I really don't even want to deal with them having to find a babysitter, or telling them that I don't feel comfortable with them bringing their kid out to the bar for the evening...I am also not a babysitter.
  • lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Not married never want to get married and def no kids!!!

Me and my man have been together years and have 2 bearded dragons as our kiddies!! I LOVE THEM!!!!

WOOP DINKs UNITE!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    And, then when you hit mid-40's, everyone is single again, and the cycle starts all over.

Truth...and a good bit of them are grandparents!
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    *holds up hand* me, me, me!!! No kids, no plans to have any either. I'm not even in the slightest bit maternal!

I have 3 cats though :-D Feel free to add me!
  • sammie121403
    sammie121403 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Right here....my husband and I both do not want kids...so we will be DINKS for a long time! lol. Our cats are our kids. :)
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Ex-DINK...now we have a two-year-old! Best thing to ever happen to us!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    What Wolf said...

how mature she is? she has to be a teenager.

The whole thing about being a DINK for me, is that I rarely want to contact my friends with kids because I really don't even want to deal with them having to find a babysitter, or telling them that I don't feel comfortable with them bringing their kid out to the bar for the evening...I am also not a babysitter.

she's 11, but she's had to pony up and be the responsible one when she's with her father. (he's not the best)

as a result she's very self sufficient.

We have a calendar and she marks down where she's made plans and we have her various extra curricular activities spelled out on it...so it's very easy for someone to call us and see if we are free for dinner or drinks and we usually are as she's busy doing her own thing. We don't go out every night, about two nights a week and that's more than most bonafide DINK's we know, then we are out all weekend. For example we are hitting the jazz festival this weekend (yes with my daughter) and going out for dinner and probably meet a couple for a movie. (she's made arrangements for a sleepover and will be at the concert with us)

we've actually found that since we both have a very healthy work/life balance that we are often the ones with free time and our DINK friends who are busy (staying late at the office, involved in a work related thing, etc).

in fact we were discussing the summer with our DINK friends and most of them expressed jealousy at all the stuff we were going to do/time we had.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    The thread intriduged me so had to find out what a DINK was. So I guess I am one too lol. Single with one furry baby.
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Not married, buts its just my boyfriend and I with our two dogs lol
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! Although we're gonna try for a kid, so y'know...
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    The thread intriduged me so had to find out what a DINK was. So I guess I am one too lol. Single with one furry baby.

DINK is dual income, no kids - so it has to refer to a couple. One person can't be a DINK. For that matter, both members of the couple have to have jobs, I guess.
  • LosingMyMarbles
    LosingMyMarbles Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    We're not, but our three best friends and their significant others are!