umayster wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Demons are the blind fears of primitive thinking, the boogie-men of children. It becomes pretty clear that to demonize something is to give it a power over you, to tacitly give it the power to make you afraid because you don't understand it.
    Why would you want to give a food that power? Why would anyone want to live in fear of a food for the sake of fearing it? I would like to live in the modern world free of demons - a world where such things are gone because we have rational enlightenment and understanding.

When you demonize people who demonize food, does that give them power over you? Or does this "Relinquishment Of Power" theory only hold true for foods?
    Solipsistic arguments not withstanding, I'm pretty sure people are real and have no supernatural power over me, so not seeing the demonization.
    That said, tree frog poison can be a very powerful hallucinogen in shamanistic rituals, so you might be one step closer than most. :p

OK, so I got one definition of demonization. Could you give me your definition of "demonization" as it applies to food?

Also, what power do you think the food is imbued with upon it's demonization?
    Demonization of food is give it negative attributes it doesn't have according to established science.
    Particular powers are placebo and nocebo effect, plus by trying to restrict it without need, you're setting up the food as novel when consumed, and thus increasing the desire of the food.
    It is generally pretty old and established that intermittent reinforcement is actually more effective than continuous reinforcement. More modern techniques studying dopamine in the brain show that novelty plays a part in dopamine responses, and thus increases the perceived reward of it - essentially a chemical version of the conditioning principle of intermittent reinforcement.

And maybe some people have varying degrees of dopamine responses from you or the norm. So that theoretical relationship might not apply to them at all. Is it then OK for them to demonize?

There is actually an obese/serotonin/carbohydrates relationship. Those people might be better off not viewing a cupcake as innocent calories just waiting to be regulated by sheer willpower.

I don't have answers for everyone else, but like any reasonable person just try different things til I find out what works for my circumstances. When I find my answers, I will definitely not be telling others my way is the only way that will work for them.

All food usually leads to releasing serotonin. The reason why is that it drops the dopamine to stop reward seeking behavior because the reward is right there.
    When you demonize the food, you've increased the dopamine response. You've now made it something you've mentally decided is unobtainable, something that is different. There are people that have very specific diseases like Prater-Willy. 99%+ of adults are going to be able to inure themselves to temptation. Believe it or not, the words "oh, not ice cream again", and "oh, not pizza again" have been uttered by English speakers who normally like those things.
    If people on here are asking how to avoid something, it seems obvious that it does not work for them at some level. How is my suggesting they change their relationship any worse advice than someone telling them to throw all of it out of the house and hope they never encounter it while out and about? How does it stop being demonization just because it has worked for them?
    And honestly, if you really believe there are so many special snowflakes, why do you tell people all the time that people don't need to eat sugar? Lustig himself talks about children that can't generate their own glucose and have to have special diets.

I used to 'change my relationship' with foods, but since discovered that it is easier to just label failed food relationships' foods as 'toxic' and minimize my interaction with them.

The only time it it appropriate to bring up how nutritionally unnecessary it is to eat sugar/carbs is right after a person asks how to minimize/eliminate or get control over a carb/sugar food and half the responses are saying EATTHEFOOD.

I personally pay attention to those people struggling with carb issues due to a long personal struggle with same and in addition our family has metabolic issues related to carbohydrate and I've spent hundreds of hours (or thousands if you ask my SO) learning about them.

Nutrional knowledge is sketchy and we are all unique. People's health and weight are dependant on them figuring out what works best for them. Supporting people in that process is more important than inappropriately applying random personal judgements.
    And I'll tell you the same I told others. If someone came into here asking what is the best way to jump out a window, would it be better to ask them if jumping out a window is necessary, or start explaining your personal strategy for opening a window latch? A lot of people think they to give up carbs. There is a lot of misinformation out there, and so it might help the person to actually check they're not following the latest trend in dieting.
    Nutritional knowledge is better than most would think - psychology of food choices still could use improvement, but I can guarantee you, if you give me a metabolic chamber, control over food, and a test subject the science is there to guarantee they'll lose weight. Give me a barbell, weights, and little willingness on the part of the subject and I can even give good odds on most of the weight lost being fat rather than lean body mass. By and large, our metabolisms don't actually vary that much. For one, any kind of marked improvement or failure in metabolism would have profound effects on reproductive success in humans until around 100 years or so. For another, human evolution is marked by genetic bottlenecks where the entire race almost bit the dust and left a much smaller foundation population not that long ago.
    And again, if you're going to make the argument that people are unique, don't make statements like glucose is a nonessential nutrient - for some people, it actually can be.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Demons are the blind fears of primitive thinking, the boogie-men of children. It becomes pretty clear that to demonize something is to give it a power over you, to tacitly give it the power to make you afraid because you don't understand it.
    Why would you want to give a food that power? Why would anyone want to live in fear of a food for the sake of fearing it? I would like to live in the modern world free of demons - a world where such things are gone because we have rational enlightenment and understanding.

When you demonize people who demonize food, does that give them power over you? Or does this "Relinquishment Of Power" theory only hold true for foods?
    Solipsistic arguments not withstanding, I'm pretty sure people are real and have no supernatural power over me, so not seeing the demonization.
    That said, tree frog poison can be a very powerful hallucinogen in shamanistic rituals, so you might be one step closer than most. :p

OK, so I got one definition of demonization. Could you give me your definition of "demonization" as it applies to food?

Demonization of food is give it negative attributes it doesn't have according to established science.
    Particular powers are placebo and nocebo effect, plus by trying to restrict it without need, you're setting up the food as novel when consumed, and thus increasing the desire of the food.
    It is generally pretty old and established that intermittent reinforcement is actually more effective than continuous reinforcement. More modern techniques studying dopamine in the brain show that novelty plays a part in dopamine responses, and thus increases the perceived reward of it - essentially a chemical version of the conditioning principle of intermittent reinforcement.

And maybe some people have varying degrees of dopamine responses from you or the norm. So that theoretical relationship might not apply to them at all. Is it then OK for them to demonize?

There is actually an obese/serotonin/carbohydrates relationship. Those people might be better off not viewing a cupcake as innocent calories just waiting to be regulated by sheer willpower.

I don't have answers for everyone else, but like any reasonable person just try different things til I find out what works for my circumstances. When I find my answers, I will definitely not be telling others my way is the only way that will work for them.

All food usually leads to releasing serotonin. The reason why is that it drops the dopamine to stop reward seeking behavior because the reward is right there.
    When you demonize the food, you've increased the dopamine response. You've now made it something you've mentally decided is unobtainable, something that is different. There are people that have very specific diseases like Prater-Willy. 99%+ of adults are going to be able to inure themselves to temptation. Believe it or not, the words "oh, not ice cream again", and "oh, not pizza again" have been uttered by English speakers who normally like those things.
    If people on here are asking how to avoid something, it seems obvious that it does not work for them at some level. How is my suggesting they change their relationship any worse advice than someone telling them to throw all of it out of the house and hope they never encounter it while out and about? How does it stop being demonization just because it has worked for them?
    And honestly, if you really believe there are so many special snowflakes, why do you tell people all the time that people don't need to eat sugar? Lustig himself talks about children that can't generate their own glucose and have to have special diets.

I used to 'change my relationship' with foods, but since discovered that it is easier to just label failed food relationships' foods as 'toxic' and minimize my interaction with them.

The only time it it appropriate to bring up how nutritionally unnecessary it is to eat sugar/carbs is right after a person asks how to minimize/eliminate or get control over a carb/sugar food and half the responses are saying EATTHEFOOD.

I personally pay attention to those people struggling with carb issues due to a long personal struggle with same and in addition our family has metabolic issues related to carbohydrate and I've spent hundreds of hours (or thousands if you ask my SO) learning about them.

Nutrional knowledge is sketchy and we are all unique. People's health and weight are dependant on them figuring out what works best for them. Supporting people in that process is more important than inappropriately applying random personal judgements.

Until you validate the actual problem, blindly supporting their process is no support at all. Some people need to reduce their consumption of certain things for health reasons. Many more do not, but think they do. Until it is confirmed which is true, giving support is worthless. I would not advise a diabetic to consume sugar freely, just as much as I would not advise a non-diabetic to force a dramatic reduction to their sugar intake. Context is vastly important, and simpy giving a pat on the back and a smiley face response to everyone who is following a path, without knowing if that path is essential, can possibly stop that person from further understanding to how things truly work.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member

And I'll tell you the same I told others. If someone came into here asking what is the best way to jump out a window, would it be better to ask them if jumping out a window is necessary, or start explaining your personal strategy for opening a window latch? A lot of people think they to give up carbs. There is a lot of misinformation out there, and so it might help the person to actually check they're not following the latest trend in dieting.
    Nutritional knowledge is better than most would think - psychology of food choices still could use improvement, but I can guarantee you, if you give me a metabolic chamber, control over food, and a test subject the science is there to guarantee they'll lose weight. Give me a barbell, weights, and little willingness on the part of the subject and I can even give good odds on most of the weight lost being fat rather than lean body mass. By and large, our metabolisms don't actually vary that much. For one, any kind of marked improvement or failure in metabolism would have profound effects on reproductive success in humans until around 100 years or so. For another, human evolution is marked by genetic bottlenecks where the entire race almost bit the dust and left a much smaller foundation population not that long ago.
    And again, if you're going to make the argument that people are unique, don't make statements like glucose is a nonessential nutrient - for some people, it actually can be.

People with impaired gluconeogenesis are very ill, under the care of a doctor (or several), not looking for weight loss advice on MFP and pretty rare. People with issues processing carbohydrates well are frequently not diagnosed, on their own for answers, on weight loss forums like MFP and plentiful - maybe 3 out of 10 if the stats I've read are believable. I think what I am saying is appropriate for the folks here.

And the entire point that I am trying to make is that limiting carbs - even to low levels - is NOT the nutritional equivelent to jumping out a window.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member

People with impaired gluconeogenesis are very ill, under the care of a doctor (or several), not looking for weight loss advice on MFP and pretty rare. People with issues processing carbohydrates well are frequently not diagnosed, on their own for answers, on weight loss forums like MFP and plentiful - maybe 3 out of 10 if the stats I've read are believable. I think what I am saying is appropriate for the folks here.

And the entire point that I am trying to make is that limiting carbs - even to low levels - is NOT the nutritional equivelent to jumping out a window.

If 3 of 10 who come here have unkown carb issues, and someone suggests limiting carbs to all the folks who ask, one is giving inaccurate advice to 70% of those who are asking.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

No, you've stated as fact that all human beings can survive without carbs to make the point that it isn't an essential nutrient. You weren't saying about people on MFP, you were saying it as scientific fact. That's fine as covers 99.9%+ of the world's population, but, if you're going to start talking about some people needing certain dietary changes because they're special, without anyone bringing in a doctor's note saying they have said issues, I'll call you on your playing fast and lose with what is or is not the way human metabolism works.
    If you have something that seriously shows 3 out 10 people have issues processing carbohydrates, I'd seriously like to see it. I'd find it incredible that something that started as frugivores could turn into a species with 30% of the population having an inability to handle carbohydrates in a span of 2 million years or less.
    If you are limiting carbs because the latest headlines says to, or some other pseudo or quack science as often shows up in these threads, then yes, it is similar to jumping out a window for disbelieving gravity. Restricting carbs other than as a way to reduce calories is never a necessity for weight loss.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    mommydie wrote: »
    I mean that some people say that that have a bite of ice cream and it satisfies them. For me, as soon as I taste a little bit of ice cream, candy or sugar, I feel like it's a drug and I just want MORE. I truly believe sugar is as addictive as cocaine

I don't know about everyone, but as someone who's been an addict with pretty much every narcotic there is at some point (I know, I know...lame...that's well behind me and it's going to stay there), I feel the same way about refined sugar. Once I start eating *kitten* sugars like cake or candy, it escalates quickly. I get ravenous for it. When I finally make the choice to stop, it sucks. I feel different in a bad way, and I crave it for a good while. But once it's been out of my system I'm okay. I think a lot of people experience this! Or at least some of the people I've talked to about how much I have to stay away from it... Everyone's different, obviously. But I can totally relate to your "dramatic" feelings about it hahaha internet forums are so ridiculous sometimes.

Yeah, I have had to keep my fingers silent on many of these comments. I so appreciate the support and even the constructive criticism. I guess I can't get mad at people who don't know me but presume that I am being dramatic or that I haven't tried everything that I can think of before coming to the conclusion that I might have to cut carbs and see what happens. I also know what addiction feels like and yes, the way my heart races and my breath gets shallow and I am suddenly bursting with energy is tantamount to cocaine. Oh well. I guess I really can't expect everyone to empathize with my journey. Just glad I can find some like minded and supportive people on this site.

Anyone who's actually been addicted to a narcotic substance or alcohol should actually be insulted by the insinuation that food is addictive. It's not. 'Shit sugars'? Come on. Your body does not know the difference between sugar from sugar cane or sugar beets or corn or any other source, or a piece of fruit. Neither does your brain. Does this reaction happen when you eat a potato? That's a carb also. How about a piece of whole-wheat bread with nothing on it?
    Are you lining up sugar out of the bag and licking it off of the counter? Eating spoonsful of it? Because that's addictive behavior. If you're just worried about eating an extra donut because you really enjoy the taste - guess what - that's not sugar addiction. That's you enjoying the flavor combination of carbs and fats. That's what happens with a lot of the foods usually mentioned, like pizza, cookies, that piece of bread with butter and peanut butter on it.
    Sometimes if you realize you really like the taste of something, and indulgence is the only way eating it will make you feel satisfied, you have to learn to make room for it in a calorie deficit. That's possible. You undercut your calories several days in a row, so that you have a large chunk of calories available on the day you want to indulge. Then you eat that indulgent food.
    If eating a lot of it isn't the answer (in the long run, for most people, a small serving is better and will make you happier), you learn to weigh your food and have a small serving and just enjoy that. You train your brain that the food is not your master and don't react the way that you have in the past.

I've had a verified physical addiction. To me, carbohydrates provoke a similar response - especially simple ones - with some very damaging health consequences. Some people can use a substance without addiction and others can't. I'm glad that you can just not overindulge, but please do not presume that your situation applies to every other person.

I've known a bunch of addicts and never seen a licking off the counter behaviour, did you make that up? I'm guite sure I haven't ever read that behaviour as a requirement to prove or disprove addiction.

I used the licking image to equate it with snorting lines of cocaine - I didn't say snort because that's not how a person would ingest sugar. Regardless of that - and regardless of your response to eating carbohydrates - it's not an addiction. You might have missed out on a very good thread the other day discussing the fact that there have never been any scientific studies in humans proving out the theory that sugar, or any other food for that matter, is addictive in any way. Any sense of addiction or craving is, you might pardon the expression, all in your head. The fact that the typical sense of 'addiction' is always to a very narrow spectrum of food for each person is very telling. If it were an addiction to food, it would be widespread among a large population (or n group in a blind scientific study) with a verified food in those studies. That never proves to be the case. In people like you, the damaging health consequences (if you are talking about something specific like thyroid, PCOS, diabetes, or something similar) that has nothing to do with addiction, but a physical reaction to something in the food that reacts badly with a medical problem in the body.
  • umayster
    mantium999 wrote: »

If 3 of 10 who come here have unkown carb issues, and someone suggests limiting carbs to all the folks who ask, one is giving inaccurate advice to 70% of those who are asking.

No one that I've seen is suggesting carb limiting to random mfp posters.
  • mccindy72
    Demonize sugar if it helps you. Demonize all the foods you want to demonize.

Whatever works!!

It doesn't work.

It works for millions, as does other tools like moderation.

Both are sustainable and both are challenging and unsustainable (different horses for different courses).

OP - try it, low carb diets can be extremely healthy. The only thing that will happen is it will work, or it won't work.

The main thing to realise is, its not a magic pill! Its a tool to help you eat in a calorie deficit, which is the only way you will lose weight.

Good luck.

Way to take what I said out of context - I said that demonizing food doesn't work, not eating low carb. There's nothing at all wrong with eating low carb, it's just another way to eat at a calorie deficit. What is wrong is pretending (or even actually believing) that any food is 'bad' or 'evil' or will harm a person. Food is an inert thing, and can't do harm. It just sits there. People do the harm when they choose to overeat said food, no matter which food it is. Unless there is a specific medical condition that causes a person not to be able to eat a certain type of food, all food is open game and harmless in moderate amounts.
  • mccindy72

Stick around. You'll see it. It happens all the time.
  • umayster

No, you've stated as fact that all human beings can survive without carbs to make the point that it isn't an essential nutrient. You weren't saying about people on MFP, you were saying it as scientific fact. That's fine as covers 99.9%+ of the world's population, but, if you're going to start talking about some people needing certain dietary changes because they're special, without anyone bringing in a doctor's note saying they have said issues, I'll call you on your playing fast and lose with what is or is not the way human metabolism works.
    If you have something that seriously shows 3 out 10 people have issues processing carbohydrates, I'd seriously like to see it. I'd find it incredible that something that started as frugivores could turn into a species with 30% of the population having an inability to handle carbohydrates in a span of 2 million years or less.
    If you are limiting carbs because the latest headlines says to, or some other pseudo or quack science as often shows up in these threads, then yes, it is similar to jumping out a window for disbelieving gravity. Restricting carbs other than as a way to reduce calories is never a necessity for weight loss.

I think our conversation is over. If something is true virtually all people, it is not true because very limited exceptions exist?
  • senecarr

Even with a post count of 211, I'm shocked by this claim.
  • senecarr

I think our conversation is over. If something is true virtually all people, it is not true because very limited exceptions exist?
    I'd like to see the evidence that limit carbs is needed by as much as 30% of the human population. Until then, I'm going to keep assuming most human beings don't need to limit carbs outside of medical conditions that have been verified by professionals.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

But the bolded implies that eating low carb is dangerous, like jumping out of a window is - it's not. It can be helpful and healthy.

It's more like trying to convince someone that the colour yellow is a good wall colour when they are convinced they want to try beige. If it turns out beige is wrong, they can repaint the room; if LCHF is wrong for them, they can change their diet. Not a big deal... like jumping out the window could be.

I agree that a good 2/3 of the population would not have great health improvements when they go low carb like someone who has insulin resistance, but it won't hurt them either - like continuing to eat high carb could hurt the minority with insulin resistance.

At best, eating LCHF could improve their health, at worst it will be a benign effect.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I agree that a good 2/3 of the population would not have great health improvements when they go low carb like someone who has insulin resistance, but it won't hurt them either - like continuing to eat high carb could hurt the minority with insulin resistance.

At best, eating LCHF could improve their health, at worst it will be a benign effect.

Actually, I've known people who felt totally AWFUL on low carb diets. It certainly did harm them. I'm not saying people shouldn't try it if they want to, I'm saying that you're wrong that low carb never hurt anyone.
    I have insulin resistance, but I didn't do low carb. I still lost weight and still got healthy. So it's not necessary for people with insulin resistance. I tried it once. Felt like death warmed up. Never tried it again.
    I say low carb is unnecessary except perhaps for diabetes sufferers, and is therefore personal preference.
  • senecarr

But the bolded implies that eating low carb is dangerous, like jumping out of a window is - it's not. It can be helpful and healthy.

It's more like trying to convince someone that the colour yellow is a good wall colour when they are convinced they want to try beige. If it turns out beige is wrong, they can repaint the room; if LCHF is wrong for them, they can change their diet. Not a big deal... like jumping out the window could be.

If you want to go with your color analogy, if someone told me the need to know how to make yellow work with their room decor, and it seems like there are more color options, do I have to assume the person has already bought yellow paint, or can I recommend they get a free color swatch and think about some other colors? Why waste anyone's time on figuring out if low carb or yellow paint will work if they don't need to make it work? The fact that they're here asking how to make it work sounds like they're already having issues. Maybe now is the time to repaint with beige, only we'll have to put down a primer that we wouldn't have to have dealt with before.
    And I do maintain that if you are doing things for the wrong reasons, even if not currently hurting you physically, you're setting yourself up for false beliefs.
  • nvmomketo
    edited August 2015

Even with a post count of 211, I'm shocked by this claim.

Stick around. You'll see it. It happens all the time.

I think she may mean that people who eat LCHF don't pop into all posts with "Try LC. It's the BEST!" Generally, LCHF is suggested in posts where the OP says they have issues with sugar/soda/sweets, or they are trying to go LCHF and are looking for advice, or when someone is looking to improve a health condition like diabetes or PCOS. I don't often find LCHF people add their thoughts to a post of increasing protein, or when to eat, or how to set macros, or how to carb cycle. I think most low carb people suggest LCHF when they think someone could benefit from eating that way

... Sort of like how people who eat foods in moderation usually suggest moderating foods for people with issues with sugar/soda/sweets, or who are trying to go LCHF and are looking for advice, or when someone is looking to improve a health condition like diabetes or PCOS. I would guess moderation is brought up with an even greater frequency (since it is a more common WOE around here).
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    I find these discussions so bizarre -- genetically we are quite diverse, and most of us fine tune our food plans so that it is easier for us to eat at a calorie deficit. For me that is lower carb/higher protein, fat -- but for some it is a different ratio of macros/ and for some it is higher carb. The sanity for me is that I can only figure out what works for me -- I don't need to impose that on other people with different genetics/psychological responses to food, etc. I know what it is like to be an addict -- that is why I don't drink alcohol at all. Approximately 10% of the population is alcoholic -- for many of those it is easier not to drink at all than to drink in moderation. That is true for me. Same is true for certain very sugary foods -- for me it just doesn't work to eat a little ice cream Easier not to eat it at all -- much easier to eat at a calorie deficit if I'm not trying to eat "a little bit" of ice cream. But I really don't care if you eat sugar, or drink, or whatever else it is that you want to. I don't think its about will power -- I have a lot of it, I lift weights (even though I am an older person, I do a lot of hard physical and work stuff, etc. So I really don't think it is about will power. And a side benefit is that my osteoarthritis goes into remission when I eat lower carb. This is my personal response for what it is worth.
  • nvmomketo

If you want to go with your color analogy, if someone told me the need to know how to make yellow work with their room decor, and it seems like there are more color options, do I have to assume the person has already bought yellow paint, or can I recommend they get a free color swatch and think about some other colors? Why waste anyone's time on figuring out if low carb or yellow paint will work if they don't need to make it work? The fact that they're here asking how to make it work sounds like they're already having issues. Maybe now is the time to repaint with beige, only we'll have to put down a primer that we wouldn't have to have dealt with before.
    And I do maintain that if you are doing things for the wrong reasons, even if not currently hurting you physically, you're setting yourself up for false beliefs.

I'm not figuring it out, the OP needs to do that. I just let them know what worked for me and possibly suggest they look into it if they are interested.

Their body. Their house...paint.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Merrysix wrote: »
    I find these discussions so bizarre -- genetically we are quite diverse, and most of us fine tune our food plans so that it is easier for us to eat at a calorie deficit. For me that is lower carb/higher protein, fat -- but for some it is a different ratio of macros/ and for some it is higher carb. The sanity for me is that I can only figure out what works for me -- I don't need to impose that on other people with different genetics/psychological responses to food, etc. I know what it is like to be an addict -- that is why I don't drink alcohol at all. Approximately 10% of the population is alcoholic -- for many of those it is easier not to drink at all than to drink in moderation. That is true for me. Same is true for certain very sugary foods -- for me it just doesn't work to eat a little ice cream Easier not to eat it at all -- much easier to eat at a calorie deficit if I'm not trying to eat "a little bit" of ice cream. But I really don't care if you eat sugar, or drink, or whatever else it is that you want to. I don't think its about will power -- I have a lot of it, I lift weights (even though I am an older person, I do a lot of hard physical and work stuff, etc. So I really don't think it is about will power. And a side benefit is that my osteoarthritis goes into remission when I eat lower carb. This is my personal response for what it is worth.

Well said!

• nvmomketo

Actually, I've known people who felt totally AWFUL on low carb diets. It certainly did harm them. I'm not saying people shouldn't try it if they want to, I'm saying that you're wrong that low carb never hurt anyone.
    I have insulin resistance, but I didn't do low carb. I still lost weight and still got healthy. So it's not necessary for people with insulin resistance. I tried it once. Felt like death warmed up. Never tried it again.
    I say low carb is unnecessary except perhaps for diabetes sufferers, and is therefore personal preference.

Most people do feel poorly in the first few weeks LCHF. That's the body adjusting - if that is what you are referring to. It's not harmful, just tiring. I'm sorry your experience was so negative; I'm guessing that you were not adapted to burning fats though, and did not up your sodium, magnesium and potassium

I agree that low carb is not needed for everyone. It DOES help more than just diabetes. I started it partially to help my arthritis, partially to improve my blood sugars, and a distant third reason was to lose weight. It helped me with all three. It can also help PCOS, slowing dementia, and heart disease.... this would still be a large minority and not the majority though.