What single food is the most nutritionally perfect?

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    Breastmilk? But really, as an adult you need a balanced diet, no food is perfectly balanced alone.

Good answer.

Yes breast milk is a complete food providing all nutrients, nothing else required.

But unless you are a baby under about 6 months of age, there is no single food containing all your nutrition. And nobody eats only one food anyway, so whole question is pointless.
  • greenmg411
    greenmg411 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I asked this question to a RD professor in college and she said no food can be eaten exclusively, HOWEVER if needed milk would be her best bet.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Breastmilk. It is the only food you can theoretically survive on without eating anything else.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    greenmg411 wrote: »
    I asked this question to a RD professor in college and she said no food can be eaten exclusively, HOWEVER if needed milk would be her best bet.

I read this in a nutrition textbook I picked up at a second hand store.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If we are talking solid food, then Eggs will sustain human health/life far longer than a diet of only broccoli or rice or beans or kale.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hummus.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It would probably be some type of nut or seed. It wouldn't be perfect, but with the mix of protein, fat and carbs it might be the most perfect.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Another vote for milk.

Milk is another good one.

So far we're at milk and fresh meat (not including pre-macroed, prepared foods).

mr knight, I seem to remember you have some experience with people on the autism spectrum?

I have met a few adults (and of course my own child) who has a diet comprised of bread products and dairy products... with the addition of a glass of vitamin C rich juice, I reckon you could live on that simple diet forever.

Anyways, some sort of dairy product/grain/vitamin C source combo. Pizza is really looking like the winner here.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    So the requirements are...complete proteins, essential fatty acids, and some carbs.

The closest I can think of is freshly killed meat/fish (and I do mean "freshly" - like, kill it, skin it, eat it). Complete proteins, obviously, and EFAs, but fresh meat also has significant carb content thanks to the glycogen.

Why wouldn't micronutrients also be a requirement?
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Carbs are not a requirement.

And you won't get all the necessary micronutrients from eating one food only. In the unlikely situation that all food on the planet is wiped out except one, you would need to take a multivitamin to supplement your single food diet (if you are intent on living for longer than a year).
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    If there were some way to get protein into salsa and fried chips, that might be it. At least for me.

cheese
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Oh, it would have to be breast milk, right? I mean, humans do survive on nothing other than breast milk.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    If there were some way to get protein into salsa and fried chips, that might be it. At least for me.

cheese
    No, not queso. Salsa.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'd have to say milk too... even though I avoid it because it doesn't fill me up for the calories. Eggs are good, but no carbs.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Nuts?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

cheese
    No, not queso. Salsa.

cheese on top or between. what is that wonderful white Mexican cheese.....

I say cheese is perfect, smoked cheese even more so
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Fatty cuts of meat.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...if there were one, I don't think I'd only eat it to meet my macros. I'm lazy but I like variety. LOL. For lunch I made quinoa cooked in a little chicken broth, as well as spinach, kale, chicken and a hard boiled egg and it has 31g carbs, 8 g fat, and 33 g protein. :)
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    My trainer suggested drinking chocolate milk after weight training; has a decent ratio of fats:carbs:protein. All three. Supposedly one of the better recovery drinks out there!
  • dleithaus
    dleithaus Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    A scotch egg.