What single food is the most nutritionally perfect?

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'll throw my vote behind the ever evil milk.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches or pizza?
  • mhollencamp102012
    mhollencamp102012 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Avocados ! (Kale is really good too but unless you drink it you have to use a lot of it)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Bacon. Better yet, bacon on pizza.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    AMRROL wrote: »
    While no single food is nutritionally perfect, is there one single food that comes close to being the most nutritionally perfect? (ie has the best ratios of vitamins and macronutrients) Liver? Brown Rice? Legumes?
    In my own diet, it's kale...and I juice it with some other fruits and veggies, then blend back in some of the pulp.
    I detest veggies otherwise and just will not eat them. No matter what my mix is, kale is a staple. It's very nutritious and cheap.
    How much protein does kale have?
    Kale has tons of protein...when you chop it and serve it over salmon or include it in a smoothie with greek yogurt. .

Seriously, protein has never been my issue. I get that easily. Veggies are my challenge.
    I detest all veggies which is why I juice.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    While no single food is nutritionally perfect, is there one single food that comes close to being the most nutritionally perfect? (ie has the best ratios of vitamins and macronutrients) Liver? Brown Rice? Legumes?
    In my own diet, it's kale...and I juice it with some other fruits and veggies, then blend back in some of the pulp.
    I detest veggies otherwise and just will not eat them. No matter what my mix is, kale is a staple. It's very nutritious and cheap.
    How much protein does kale have?
    Kale has tons of protein...when you chop it and serve it over salmon or include it in a smoothie with greek yogurt. .

Seriously, protein has never been my issue. I get that easily. Veggies are my challenge.

If you only ate kale you'd have a problem with protein. And more significantly, calories. I would have enough protein in 1500 calories, but I cannot imagine eating 1500 calories of kale, and I like kale. (I prefer spinach and collards and chard and from a nutritional perspective believe that eating a wide variety of greens and other veggies is likely best.)

Anyway, I never understand having issues with vegetables. I love vegetables, especially pan fried, roasted, or in a nice pasta sauce (which usually means pan fried in olive oil with some meat and tomatoes and ideally olives).
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Another vote for milk.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Avocados ! (Kale is really good too but unless you drink it you have to use a lot of it)

Just avocado would give you 20 g of protein for 1600 calories, so no.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Another vote for milk.

Milk is another good one.

So far we're at milk and fresh meat (not including pre-macroed, prepared foods).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Meat.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    I had a nutrition professor tell us to always guess "broccoli" if we're asked to name a food that is high in XYZ nutrients.

If supplements counted, I would say Soylent, but who would want to live off a liquid diet?

I always thought Soylent was more cracker-like, but I might be thinking of something different. Or maybe I'm just confused.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    eggs!
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Great Question. Unfortunately, anyone who gives you a specific answer is providing an answer based on their own definition of nutritionally perfect and their preferences and biases.

think: I like sugar, therefore, I'm going to identify most with doughnuts diets :)

Most science is biased. Any nutrition information recommended by the government is definitely biased. Many studies are not based on real-world scenarios (studies are often performed on rats or mice in lab environments). Many researchers are paid by specific interest groups: dairy lobby, beef lobby, fast food lobby, large food producers, nutraceutical industry (vitamins and supplements), diet industry ("miracle" diet books), etc. RDA values are a product of political compromise. There is probably not a lot of money going toward broccoli research these days. Vitamins, an incomplete concept of health benefits, based on studies from the early 1900's, are only a starting point--there's a whole lot more to food than it's vitamin C (or D, or B, or A) value. No one agrees on macro ratios whether high protein, high fat, or low fat, high carb, low protein. Bigger doesn't mean better like the nutraceutical industry would like us to believe.

I'm going with broccoli or spinach (and doughnuts, because I too am biased).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Until the time of the Famine, the Irish peasants were considered to be the healthiest in Europe and their diet was primarily potatoes and milk. Sounds good to me!
  • charlesmauch
    charlesmauch Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Meat.

Actually, I'd say animal organs like liver are probably more nutrient dense than just "meat". But liver tastes awful, otherwise I'd probably eat lots of it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    eggs!

+1
    Surprised it got to the second page before anyone voted for eggs. Great source of protein, fat, vitamins D, B-2, B-10, and B-12, folate...decent amounts of vitamin A and iron for the calorie load.
    No fiber, but I guess that just goes to prove the point that there is no single perfect "food." Unless you give a pass to the votes for dishes/meals made up of half a dozen different foods.
  • CherylanneCorsini
    CherylanneCorsini Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The Egg is pretty perfect even though it's gotten a bad rap in the past.
    I would say scrambled eggs with olive oil and kale would be a perfect meal.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Quinoa perhaps, even better combined with kale.