How to Start Exercising When Obese

Options
2»

Replies

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    blackcoffeeandcherrypie Posts: 486 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Cycling, swimming and walking are all good starters. try to do 30 minutes a day, every day, whilst eating healthily. After a week, try to add on 5 minutes a day.
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    there's a lot of GREAT advice here, Lewiston...I used to get winded going up a flight of stairs, so I feel your pain.

i'm literally three months into this. I started Memorial Day Weekend at 278 pounds, and clocked in at 237 this morning before work, and I'm pretty certain I'm probably the laziest dude ON this forum.

I started out, though, just as everyone else here mentioned...walking. i'd walk during my lunch hour at work, a little at first, and gradually a little farther. for me, i was walking a few miles per trip within just a couple of weeks, but that was the result of doing it EVERY SINGLE DAY.

after that came the bike...there's a rental program here in Nashville - kiosks all over the place, and with an annual membership, you can check a bike out on an unlimited basis, but you can only check it out for an hour at a time without incurring additional fees. So at first, it was all I could do to get from one end of the greenway to the other and back (about 8 miles) within the hour. after a couple of weeks, though - i found i had 6 or 7 minutes left over. then 10 minutes...so I increased the distance. now, i routinely get 10 miles in with at least 5 or 10 minutes left.

so...the next step is upon me - I just joined a gym, and have been going to the gym a minimum of every other day.

it gets easier. barring some physical issue that you may or may not be aware of, you may not even notice it...but i promise you that if you keep showing up, it'll get easier.

the other thing - and some folks have mentioned it - is diet.

i started walking and had just started biking when I joined MFP...and I'd been watching my diet, eliminating most carbs, and had some success. but let me tell you something...if you use this tool, and you log everything you eat, it's just like sticking to a financial budget - when you see the numbers laid out in front of you, I PROMISE IT WILL CHANGE THE WAY YOU EAT.

the first time i put "Progresso French Onion Soup" into MFP and saw what was in it, i never ate it again.

proof positive that much of what we process regarding likes and dislikes is much more mental than "sense of taste" based.

four months ago, if pasta were a controlled substance, i'd have been standing on street corners and doing unspeakable things for a bowl of linguini with meat sauce...there isn't a single pasta item in my house right now, and i don't really miss it, either, because there's so much stuff that i CAN have that i love that it fills the void just fine.

Bottom line: the investment here is twofold. it's an investment of time...taking the time to force yourself up onto your feet and put the work in, and spend the time necessary to move yourself forward - but also an investment of mental energy. A lot of this transformation boils down to altering lifestyle choices, and that's not a matter of flipping a switch...you have to expend a LOT more scrutiny, you have to be a lot more self-aware, you have to log things, you have to pay attention to numbers that you never thought about before...

But if you can expend the time and the mental energy, i'm certain you'll be rewarded for it.

So go on with your bad self.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    lewiston22 wrote: »
    Thanks all. My limit walking so far is about five minutes at once. I live where it's really hilly and I can't make it up one hill so I use my treadmill instead and set the speed to 2.2 and the incline to 2.0. After five minutes I pretty much have to stop. I'll try to do those five minutes three times a day.

You have the correct approach right there - Starting where you are and doing what you can do. Over time, you can increase rate, time, or number of times on the treadmill. You don't need to overdo it...slow steady progress is far better than beating yourself into submission.

I don't now that you really need the incline - just go flat if you want.

If you find you want to go outdoors, there are lots of alternatives. Walk the outside of a local baseball field, use the local track (if there is one), walk through malls/stores, a flat parking lot of a school or store, etc, etc. Other tricks are to park a little further out when going to the store, get up and walk around the house/office a couple times an hour, take the long way to the coffee machine or bathroom. I had a buddy that worked in a store and he just took the long way to each task and walked the store during breaks. I spend a lot of time on the phone so I use my cell and go pace on my deck or in my driveway.

Be persistent and patient and you will make progress.

• lewiston22
    lewiston22 Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm in awe of all of you who have made strides in getting to a healthy weight. And I am weeping at all the encouragement and good advice you are sending my way.

My limitations as far as exercise are less physical and more emotional. I'm embarrassed to go out because of my weight and I don't own a bathing suit. For now, until I get some confidence, I prefer exercising in my own home, so that means treadmill walking and exercise videos. I hear all your ideas and think they are great and that I should do them, but I'm taking teeny teeny baby steps. I am hoping by entering this community, I've taken step one.

Thanks again.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    walking its about all you need to start. if you feel like really pushing yourself and your knees can take it find a flight of stairs and walk up and down them.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I am well over 100 pounds overweight. I can't exactly walk 10k in a day, let alone 1k. What can I do that will be encouraging to start? I get depressed trying to do the basics because I'm not fit. Duh.

You need to get to 1k walking. Start by doing a block and back.

• hamptontom
    Options
    For now, until I get some confidence, I prefer exercising in my own home, so that means treadmill walking and exercise videos.

Thanks again.

can I recommend reducing the incline setting on your treadmill? just for now, until you're more accustomed to walking regularly, 2.0 might be a bit much for you. start at zero or 0.5 and go from there.

Rome wasn't built in a day. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    hamptontom wrote: »
    For now, until I get some confidence, I prefer exercising in my own home, so that means treadmill walking and exercise videos.

Thanks again.

can I recommend reducing the incline setting on your treadmill? just for now, until you're more accustomed to walking regularly, 2.0 might be a bit much for you. start at zero or 0.5 and go from there.

Rome wasn't built in a day. :)

I don't recommend that. Unless treadmill is at a slight incline (1-2%) you end up with a different walking gait than you do when walking on actual ground. IMO, OP is in a place where as close as possible to "natural" is a good idea.

IMO, etc, and anything is better than nothing...
  • hamptontom
    Options
    i had no idea that'd have any kind of residual effect.

(puts on NOOB dunce cap and sits in corner)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. My limit walking so far is about five minutes at once. I live where it's really hilly and I can't make it up one hill so I use my treadmill instead and set the speed to 2.2 and the incline to 2.0. After five minutes I pretty much have to stop. I'll try to do those five minutes three times a day.

@karliebethell Thanks for the tip about the YT videos. I have some Sansone ones but like most exercise related items in my house, I buy them, then they collect dust. :-(

Walk for 5 min a few times a day. Get a pedometer such as fitbit to track your progress. Find a park, mall etc that had some level area where u can walk. You will be able increase faster than u think.

I started 14 months ago 150 pds overweight. Couldn't walk more than 1/4 me without rest. I couldn't walk up my own steep driveway without stopping. I could not walk in my neighborhood bc of the hills.

My goal for 1 yr was to walk 1 mile without stopping. I achieved this in less than 3 months and was also able to start walking the hills in my neighborhood. I also did, and still do, strength training with a personal trsiner 2-3x/ week.

After 1 year I walked a 10k without stopping, @ 17 min/mile. I can easily climb hills worth 30 floors at a time. I've lost 100 pounds in 14 months.

I tell you this to encourage you, but your progress will be different than mine. Start today and DO NOT STOP until u reach ur goals.

• SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options

You have the correct approach right there - Starting where you are and doing what you can do. Over time, you can increase rate, time, or number of times on the treadmill. You don't need to overdo it...slow steady progress is far better than beating yourself into submission.

I don't now that you really need the incline - just go flat if you want.

If you find you want to go outdoors, there are lots of alternatives. Walk the outside of a local baseball field, use the local track (if there is one), walk through malls/stores, a flat parking lot of a school or store, etc, etc. Other tricks are to park a little further out when going to the store, get up and walk around the house/office a couple times an hour, take the long way to the coffee machine or bathroom. I had a buddy that worked in a store and he just took the long way to each task and walked the store during breaks. I spend a lot of time on the phone so I use my cell and go pace on my deck or in my driveway.

Be persistent and patient and you will make progress.

What Steve said. You really shouldn't be embarrassed to walk in your neighborhood, but I totally understand if you feel uncomfortable doing that. As much as I dislike taking in the groceries and try to get everything in one trip from the car, make more trips carrying in your groceries, if you have a car. If you need something from the mall, park at the opposite end of the mall than where you want to go.

Stay in a calorie deficit and start these little things and one day you'll realize that your britches (I love to say britches) are a little looser and you're feeling stronger. What used to make you winded will be the beginning of a warm-up for you.

You're doing great!!! Keep at it!!
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Like so many others have said, just keep walking. I've been at this for 28 days now. I started out needing about 25 minutes to walk a mile. Tonight I did a mile in 18 minutes. I just keep at it. I use the Map My Walk app so that I can challenge myself. It's all I can really do right now. I've added in some spurts of jogging but am having trouble with an old injury to my right knee so that's pretty limited.

I was amazed tonight that I could jog for .10 mile without sucking wind. Little by little...

Like you, I was embarrassed to go out walking in my 'hood. I still walk at nighttime because of the daytime temperatures and humidity...and because it probably wouldn't be wise to leave my 5 and 6 year old boys at home alone during the day ;) I even wear spandex!!!! :o
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I'm in awe of all of you who have made strides in getting to a healthy weight. And I am weeping at all the encouragement and good advice you are sending my way.

My limitations as far as exercise are less physical and more emotional. I'm embarrassed to go out because of my weight

Don't think like this. Fat people walk, all the time. BEEN THERE done that!

OK, I can understand the bathing suit fear because that was me too, for awhile, but you WILL see progress, quickly, I'd you apply yourself and that will encourage you to do more and yes to do things you might not have considered before, like going to the pool.

Getting out is liberating and loads more fun. Outside air is good for you too. Take advantage and get outside for your walks whenever you can.

Don't let your current shape and weight imprison you in your home!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    walking...

if you have reasonable access to a pool or something, water aerobics and swimming would also be good options.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Cardio glide

No impact and you can go easy or hard

It was my friend 130 pounds ago
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I am well over 100 pounds overweight. I can't exactly walk 10k in a day, let alone 1k. What can I do that will be encouraging to start? I get depressed trying to do the basics because I'm not fit. Duh.

My advice? Don't worry about exercise. Focus on diet. When you have a handle on diet, then worry about exercise. For me, it takes a lot of willpower to focus on diet. I don't have enough to conquer the discomfort of both diet and exercise. So I focus on diet for about 6 months, and when I feel confident and see results from that, then I start working in some exercise.

You are going to get a lot more bang for your weight loss effort from diet than exercise, so spend your willpower currency where it will get you the most tangible results to get motivation.
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    In regards to going outside, you should read this: http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html
    There can be a very encouraging world outside your door, I know I always cheer loudest for those just starting out!!
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I diet and exercise, if only to see how expensive eating crap is, and learning its negative impact on my body.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    At 30 and only a very few lbs overweight, I couldn't walk a half mile or do 10 minutes on an elliptical without feeling like I was going to pass out and die from a heart attack.

So I did what I could. As often as I could.

In 8 months, I lost 40 lbs, and could do a 5k in 45 min without getting winded.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    My advice? Don't worry about exercise. Focus on diet. When you have a handle on diet, then worry about exercise. For me, it takes a lot of willpower to focus on diet. I don't have enough to conquer the discomfort of both diet and exercise. So I focus on diet for about 6 months, and when I feel confident and see results from that, then I start working in some exercise.

That might work for you and if so, bravo!!! Everyone has their own way of going about improving their health.

Myself, I would not discourage anyone from adding exercise into their daily routine even from day one and even when 100 pounds overweight. I could hardly discourage that - I started out 105 pounds over after all, but was probably not quite as unfit as the OP as I'd always been a walker / hiker.

The health benefits of starting out today, not six months from now, are enormous. In six months many people can totally turn around their blood pressure issues. In six months with diet and exercise someone may go from being pre-type 2 diabetes to having it under control. In six months someone can go from being unable to walk-run 1 kilometer to running 5km in a race. In six months someone can go from having zero endurance - unable to walk flights of stairs without being winded - to being able to walk 5 miles briskly and having gas in the tank for more.

In six months many people can improve their fitness so radically so as to change their lives forever and in the process greatly improve their outlook and fortitude to handle other challenges, like dieting.

We are all much stronger and more capable than we believe we are at first.