I think I have a problem, but I'm not sure what it is or how to fix it.

Options
2»

Replies

• nytoco
    nytoco Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Yesterday I walked maybe 5 or 6 miles and it said I burned 800 calories o_O
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nytoco wrote: »
    Yeah. Yesterday I walked maybe 5 or 6 miles and it said I burned 800 calories o_O

Doubtful, I don't get that running 6 miles!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    According to MFP via Fitbit, I've burned 450 calories today, but all the exercise I did was walk about a mile and then walk up 6 floors to get to my apartment. That seems like a very generous guess, doesn't it? People say I should be eating back my exercise calories, but that strikes me as a bit much to eat back.

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. If you eat at a reasonable deficit from that, you will lose weight.

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments, eating back your Fitbit adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • Wytcher9
    Wytcher9 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    After talking to a professional, start focusing on healthy lifestyle not restrictive diets. Helps to develop healthy fitness habits that can be maintained over life time. Many of us understand how hard it was as teen with food or weight issues. Extreme diet/fitness is usually bad for you and unsustainable. And, don't beat yourself up too much. Sometimes, you have to be your own cheerleader. You can do this. Stay strong!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I haven't had ice cream, or cake, or candy, or cookies in my house for decades. I can walk by them in an aisle at the grocery store, but sitting in my kitchen at home? No way! I think you're pretty normal on that score.

As for the calories, I started with what MFP said. I added exercise from the most conservative source I could find as I think the Fitbit way over does it (probably TDEE). If I wasn't losing in a month I cut my calories by 100 a day and kept it there for s few weeks to see what would happen.

Hang in there, keep the junk food out of your house, have a little once in awhile (you'll want it less and less over time for the hog it is on calories and because you know you could make healthier choices). This all takes lots of practice and patience.
  • bodymindmusic
    bodymindmusic Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yoga for the toning and get off processed foods, that's why you can't stop eating it, it's designed to do that to your brain. Good luck!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    Options

Not even close.

Try 200 cal/hour walking at a brisk pace.

6 miles might have taken you 2 hours ... so 400 cal.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight for 4 years. I'm in my late teens, 5'1" and 125 lbs. I know I'm not obese or anything, but I'm all flabby and cellulitey and jiggly

Join a gym ... a good one will give you a program and teach you how to use the equipment. Talk to several and see which one you feel most comfortable with.

Walk more ... and briskly.

Get a bicycle and start riding.

Try out a whole variety of sports. :)

Focus on the exercise aspect ... find something you like and pick a goal. Like maybe running in the local marathon, or hiking a certain mountain. Then work toward that by gradually increasing your activity and intensity and doing a variety of activity.

Plus ... put your details into MFP, set yourself at sedentary, and select 0.5 lb/month. MFP will give you a number. Eat all that.

If/when you exercise, estimate your calories burned low (walking briskly = 200 cal/hour, cycling = 100 cal/5 km, etc.), and eat half your exercise calories back.

This means that if you go out for a brisk 2-hour walk and burn 400 cal, you can eat something worth 200 cal. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Binge eating disorder...I mean, that could be it, but I go months being just fine without any binging and then it hits me like a wall of bricks, it's not a constant thing. That's how I got to 125 in the first place. The natural weight of my body before I gained so much weight is around 105-110 I think, because I'm pretty small framed too.
    As for weight lifting, it sounds good but I don't know where to start. I had a friend try to help me with squats (the kind where you use the weights on your back) and I was too weak to even support the bar on my back. Plus every time I go to the gym it's full of super bulky guys who know what they're doing which is really intimidating, and I don't have the money or space to get my own lifting supplies.
    The reason it's not working is because you're dieting. You have a restrictive mentality, and deprivation leads to binges. You need to change to a balanced, healthy lifestyle including bits of everything you enjoy. If you can't see yourself keeping a certain lifestyle up for the rest of your life, then don't do it. Diets fail, the diet industry thrives on failure -it's how they make their money. Sustainable lifestyles work!

And you'd only eaten 900 calories today?? That's not far off what I used to live on as a 77lb anorexic and it was not pretty...no wonder you overdid it! You're setting yourself up for yo-yo dieting and binge eating. So in total, today you've eaten 2100 calories... that's the exact amount I eat every single day, and I only weigh 103lb so you should maintain on much more.

There is nothing wrong with you - you have a fixation with food that has resulted from excessive dieting. It is the natural result of restriction, and it sucks that society does this to beautiful, healthy women. Add me if you want any help finding your balance - I've been there and I've come out the other side.

But I still indulge on my diets, I just make sure I stay under a certain number of calories.
    I had eaten 900 calories by 5 pm, which is when the binge happened. That's more than I usually eat by that time, too, since I had a higher calorie breakfast than usual. And I've eaten more than 2100 calories today because I also had an apple and some dried mango for dinner, since I can't bring myself to eat a full meal after how much I pigged out today. I'm also not particularly active (I don't work out much anymore, but I've started walking pretty much everywhere) so I have low maintenance calories.

Thank you for the support though. It's nice to hear from someone who's been to that extreme and come out strong from it.

If you are walking much 2000 calories a day may be what you use daily.

I had to learn how to maintain and did it after I lost the first 30 pounds. I was surprised at how many calories I could eat and stay in a +/- 2 pound range for 90 days.

If I find myself wanting to overeat I now reach for fats instead of carbs. On carbs I could eat 2000-3000 calories one evening at the computer. On Fats I get satisfied and stop wanting more much faster. Keep in mind I am 64 so my experiences may not relate to a teenager.