Low carbs or low fats?

Options
Currently wanting to switch my macros up a little bit and want to see what you all (especially women) are doing. I will not copy you, I promise.

I weight 132 Lbs and am 5ft 7 in tall.
I'd say I'm about 28% fat.
(picture)
Current Macos: 30 Protein / 30 Fat / 40 Carbs
Goal: I just want to see my abs one day.

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with your current macros?
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with your current macros?

I can't recall why I set up my macros that way and I feel like something is not right (except for protein %). Also, if switching them would make this process just a tiny bit faster, I would like to try it out.

• wilsonm2014
    wilsonm2014 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have mine set up Pro: 45% Fat:35% Carbs: 20%
    I started with higher carbs but it wasn't doing the trick.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    That's where I've set my macros. *shrug*
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    If I was you I would keep doing what your doing in 3 months of work there is a huge difference. If you really want to drop something drop carbs at your weight (132) 52.8 grams or 475.2 calorie of Fat should be your Minimum everyday. I can't see how many calories you take in to comment further
  • LolaKarwowski
    Options
    If I was you I would keep doing what your doing in 3 months of work there is a huge difference. If you really want to drop something drop carbs at your weight (132) 52.8 grams or 475.2 calorie of Fat should be your Minimum everyday. I can't see how many calories you take in to comment further

Oops. Forgot to add. My daily cals are 1940 (maintaining). The only way I can tell a difference is by feeling it (clothes are lose). The scale is worthless and I can't really see that difference in those pictures. Well, some days I can and other days (like today) I see nothing. I really need to start measuring but to be honest I never trust myself. If the measurements say I am getting smaller I convince myself that I am not measuring correctly.

Carbs were going to be the first thing I dropped.. but I don't want to be afraid of carbs as I know it's important. Which brings me here! Thank you for your advice.
    That's where I've set my macros. *shrug*

How do you like it? How long have you had them set this way?
  • LolaKarwowski
    Options
    I have mine set up Pro: 45% Fat:35% Carbs: 20%
    I started with higher carbs but it wasn't doing the trick.

How do you like your results? Do you feel like you're going crazy eating less carbs?
  • stevencloser
    Options
    A different macro breakdown isn't really going to change the rate of your fat loss. So just go with what you'd prefer. Remember though that you need a certain minimum of fat you shouldn't go under.
  • LolaKarwowski
    Options
    A different macro breakdown isn't really going to change the rate of your fat loss. So just go with what you'd prefer. Remember though that you need a certain minimum of fat you shouldn't go under.

Newbie Question: If the bolded is true, how come so many bikini competitors change their macro %'s like crazy in order to look a certain way for a competition?
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    How many calories? Hard to give %s without knowing a calorie goal.
    Generally, ~0.8 grams protein per pound of lean body mass (assuming maintenance calories)
    ~0.4 grams fat minimum per pound
    The rest carbs.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Newbie Question: If the bolded is true, how come so many bikini competitors change their macro %'s like crazy in order to look a certain way for a competition?

I have read they often do a pre-comp switch to quickly drop some water weight beofre hitting the stage, which is not a sustainable look for them. Though don't quote me on that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

when you cut back on carbs, you lose a lot of water...so a lot of people who go into such a competition will cut carbs for that purpose...same for people that need to do weigh ins for a fight or wrestling or other competitive event.

It has nothing to do with actually dropping fat...you're just dropping water...as soon as you up your carbs again, you retain that water again and replenish your glycogen stores.

macro ratios are far more important to performance than weight (fat) loss. 40/30/30 is referred to as the "zone" or zone diet...it's a common approach for cutting and provides for a well balanced nutrient profile...I'm a big fan of the good old fashioned balanced diet.

I couldn't and wouldn't use the zone in maintenance though...for me, protein would be over the top. Generally speaking, I keep protein and fat fairly static and let carbs be my flex.
  • stevencloser
    Options

You can lose some water weight fast that way. It's only temporary unless you keep eating that way.
  • wilsonm2014
    Options
    Lola wrote: How do you like your results? Do you feel like you're going crazy eating less carbs? No not at all. You can look at my daily meal plans. Its an old plan from when I went to API Athletes Performance Institute in 2008. I tweak it when I need to. But I eat plenty.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Why so many crazy bikini competitors (and prep coaches) is the real question.

Follow these folks on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LBCOnlineCoaching?fref=ts

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You are at perfect macros for fat loss in my opinion. I wouldn't switch them up unless you just want to. Won't make much of a difference.
  • wilsonm2014
    Options
    Stevencloser, "A different macro breakdown isn't really going to change the rate of your fat loss." It will. At mid 20's its easier for anyone to really eat what they want and not worry too much about it. When you get older the teaching of P/F/C makes a difference. Go check out T-Nation.com and read some of the blogs and articles.
  • wilsonm2014
    Options
    Tweaking--not teaching.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Stevencloser, "A different macro breakdown isn't really going to change the rate of your fat loss." It will. At mid 20's its easier for anyone to really eat what they want and not worry too much about it. When you get older the teaching of P/F/C makes a difference. Go check out T-Nation.com and read some of the blogs and articles.

Unless you've got completely out of whack macro breakdowns, there's no real differences. Protein has a slightly higher TEF than the other two, but that doesn't change much at normal macro breakdowns.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I don't track carbs or fat, just protein. I noticed that I wasn't getting dangerously low on either without paying them any special attention and just decided to ignore them.