Watching others eat

2»

Replies

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    tabbylyn89 wrote: »
    How do you stay motivated when you have to sit and watch your family eat foods that you can't have?
    If you just eat in moderation, no issues, but if it's a family of obese gluttons, that would drive me nuts. I just can't be around such people without their habits weakening my resolve. Obesity is contagious, and when we sleep with dogs, we get fleas.
    I have what I call my 3 day rule. I can tolerate others for 3 days, and that is it.

After that, I GET OUT!
    :#

What if it's your partner and kids?
    My kids eat what we eat or go hungry.
    As for my wife, she and I are on the very same page with exercise and diet. We have 5 kids...all fit and healthy, and she worked herself fit after every delivery. I am the slug in this relationship.
    :s
    BUT...if this were not so, I'd have to consider moving on like some spouses and partners do when one gets healthy and fit while the other remains mired in the slow death of obesity and withering incompatibility.
    Such is life.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    I'd eat what they're eating, just weigh it up on a food scale so I'd know it's fitting into my calorie deficit. Sounds like yummy stuff to me. enjoy it! And still be losing weight.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    How do you stay motivated when you have to sit and watch your family eat foods that you can't have?
    If you just eat in moderation, no issues, but if it's a family of obese gluttons, that would drive me nuts. I just can't be around such people without their habits weakening my resolve.
    I have what I call my 3 day rule. I can tolerate others for 3 days, and that is it.

After that, I GET OUT!

What if..... after three days they WANT YOU TO GET OUT?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    I have tacos and bread regularly (cabbage is gross so no cole slaw). I've lost 60+ pounds eating the same things I ate before, just less.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    If you just eat in moderation, no issues, but if it's a family of obese gluttons, that would drive me nuts. I just can't be around such people without their habits weakening my resolve.

After that, I GET OUT!

Not sure about this post. :/

Clearly you are not the only one -.- #smh
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    edited August 2015
    mccindy72 wrote: »

After that, I GET OUT!

What if..... after three days they WANT YOU TO GET OUT?
    Then PROBLEM SOLVED...right?
    I just don't connect well with those into unhealthy living and would never be in that position anyway.

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    If you just eat in moderation, no issues, but if it's a family of obese gluttons, that would drive me nuts. I just can't be around such people without their habits weakening my resolve. Obesity is contagious, and when we sleep with dogs, we get fleas.

After that, I GET OUT!

As for my wife, she and I are on the very same page with exercise and diet. We have 5 kids...all fit and healthy, and she worked herself fit after every delivery. I am the slug in this relationship.
    BUT...if this were not so, I'd have to consider moving on like some spouses and partners do when one gets healthy and fit while the other remains mired in the slow death of obesity and withering incompatibility.
    Such is life.

:/

I guess you're fortunate to have children who *can* eat what you eat.

It makes me so sad to think that you would abandon your family if they didn't prioritize health or fitness at the same level that you do. I'm doing my journey without my husband. I can't imagine leaving him because of his weight.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    To the OP...how I handle it is to have a small portion and to be satisfied with that. I eat more slowly. No one seems to notice because we're all eating together, I'm just eating less and more slowly so it doesn't seem less satisfying to me or awkward to them.
  • sweetcherae
    sweetcherae Posts: 66 Member
    I'm in a fitness accountability group and my coach always says don't deprive yourself of things you enjoy. If it fits within your calories for the day have it. Sometimes if you don't eat things that you crave when you finally do you might indulge yourself and over eat and fall off track. I always will find healthier versions and I'm always happy that it's healthy and I got my cravings satisfied :-)
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    edited August 2015

:/

I guess you're fortunate to have children who *can* eat what you eat.

It makes me so sad to think that you would abandon your family if they didn't prioritize health or fitness at the same level that you do. I'm doing my journey without my husband. I can't imagine leaving him because of his weight.
    Actually, I have discovered that in life and in marriage, success is a choice.
    None of us are victims. Our lives are completely governed by our decisions, so I have created the exact life I always desired, including being fit and healthy with a family of like values.

Is that so bad?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

After that, I GET OUT!

Such is life.

I know, if I had a partner break her leg, I'd do the humane thing and take her outback in preparation for the glue factory.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    karyabc wrote: »
    Eileen_S wrote: »

After that, I GET OUT!

Not sure about this post. :/

Clearly you are not the only one -.- #smh

It was good for a laugh. :D
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Psshh, life's not worth living without Tacos. Or bread. I could take or leave the coleslaw though.

OP, you don't need to cut foods out, just the amounts. Fit the foods you love into your calorie goal.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Unhealthy stuff like tacos and coleslaw and bread lol

@tabbylyn89 Tacos contain protein, fat and carbs. What's not to love? Meat, cheese and salad... They're a superfood!

Coleslaw is my healthy lunch of vitamins, combined with meat and cheese for around 250 calories.

Bread is more of a treat, but if I can fit it into my daily limit, I'm happy.

You see, foods are not good or bad as such. For weight loss, only the calorie amount matters.

To lose weight and keep it off for life, you need to allow yourself foods you love, and eat amounts that will mean you love yourself. Best wishes!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I'm always baffled when people act like tacos are somehow unhealthy or high calorie. When we have tacos it's usually one of my lower-calorie dinners.
  • txrn123
    txrn123 Posts: 47 Member
    I've actually found that since I cut back on sweets and carbs (junk food, pizza, cake) that I don't crave them. There was leftover cake and pizza from a co workers bday celebration at work and both were laying around in their respective boxes...if that had been before the start of my wt loss journey I would have dived in..but, now, after 8 months of watching my calorie intake and cutting out excesses, I didn't even give the leftovers a second look. No craving, no interest.