Watching others eat

How do you stay motivated when you have to sit and watch your family eat foods that you can't have?

Replies

• dianahaynes925
    dianahaynes925 Posts: 22 Member
    Find things you can eat. Popcorn, carrots, turkey pepperoni...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    Find a substitute, work a portion into your calories for the day, or go do something other than watching them eat
  • I eat a completely different diet from my family so I'm use to it I guess. Never really bothered me
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Why not make it fit into your daily calories?
  • tabbylyn89
    tabbylyn89 Posts: 4 Member
    Unhealthy stuff like tacos and coleslaw and bread lol
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    What is unhealthy about any of those?
  • Alatariel75
    edited August 2015
    Not one of those things is unhealthy. We have tacos about once a week. I have 2, and it comes in about 600 cals. I love coleslaw and eat it regularly. And bread is perfectly fine.

You can 'lighten up' pretty much any meal. If you don't want to use up enough calories to have those things the way your family has them, you can lighten them up. Coleslaw is salad! Just find a lighter dressing, if you don't want the one that's on it (though if you do, fine - just fit it into your day). Measure out your taco fillings and fit them into your calories! And the whole bread is bad thing is just not right. If it fits your calories, eat it. If it doesn't - make it, either by portion size or by tweaking the recipe.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    tabbylyn89 wrote: »

Tacos make up 50% of my diet, you can definitely eat them! Just "work it into your calorie budget" and don't go excessive with the sour cream and cheese. Bread is the other 50%. :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Agreed. Tacos are easily healthy. I use chicken for mine, skip the sour cream (not a huge fan), and I usually will choose guacamole instead of cheese. I preplan them, and make sure the toppings fit my calories. And Pico and salsa have very few calories. A lot of times I'll use more toppings and do a taco salad instead.

And coleslaw can be much better with "light" dressing, or look for some vinaigrette variations.

And bread is tasty. Look at a small roll instead of multiple pieces.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    None of those things need to be eliminated because you're cutting calories.

Isn't that terrific?

Coleslaw can be really lightened up if you make it yourself and use less dressing or a light version (check out some of the bottled yogurt dressings in the refrigerated dressing section of your grocery store).

Tacos? Use chicken or ground turkey or lean ground beef, lots of veggie toppings, go light on the cheese and use lots of pico or salsa since they are light on calories.

Bread? Compare different brands and choose wisely. Some have higher calorie counts than others.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member

Tacos aren't necessarily unhealthy. I'm going to guess that you're eating low carb? If so, I eat the same way. One hard taco from taco bell has 8 net carbs, shell included. OR you can order a side of black beans, a hard shelled taco, then put the taco meat into the black beans. I think altogether, that's about 8 or 9 net carbs. Not bad. As for bread, bake your own low carb bread! It won't be as tall as regular bread, but it will taste the same.

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    actually they watch me, everyday I eat what I want and I seriously enjoy what I'm eating.

I go and make some delicious recipes and always make them wonder like hell there's no way that's "diet food" and I'm like yes sir!

and then there are days when I consciously choose to eat what they are having and make it fit into my calories and if doesn't fit I don't care there is always another day to make it better.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    I agree with the above posters that it's a smart idea to find a way to make these foods fit into your calorie allowance. If it was just a couple of "treat" foods, that would be one thing, but do you really want to eat completely differently from your family for the rest of your life?

Because you can't just lose weight and then quit. You have to make permanent changes to keep the weight off permanently.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Before being diagnosed with Celiacs Disease 3 years ago I was eating everything that my hubby and kids ate, only in moderation. However, now it really is harder because some of the things that I cook for them I like too. I usually get through it by telling myself that I'm finally well now and don't want to go back to where I was health wise 3 years ago. Pizza day is much better now because our local Italian restaurant makes a great Veggie Gluten free pizza.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    How do you stay motivated when you have to sit and watch your family eat foods that you can't have?
    If you just eat in moderation, no issues, but if it's a family of obese gluttons, that would drive me nuts. I just can't be around such people without their habits weakening my resolve.
    I have what I call my 3 day rule. I can tolerate others for 3 days, and that is it.

After that, I GET OUT!
    :#

• Alatariel75
    If you just eat in moderation, no issues, but if it's a family of obese gluttons, that would drive me nuts. I just can't be around such people without their habits weakening my resolve. Obesity is contagious, and when we sleep with dogs, we get fleas.
    I have what I call my 3 day rule. I can tolerate others for 3 days, and that is it.

After that, I GET OUT!

What if it's your partner and kids?
  • karyabc

OP non snarky question but, is there a special reason of why you think bread and tacos are unhealthy?
    I eat bread daily, 2 thin slices= 90 cals/17 carbs or Sara lee's 120 cals with a big salad tuna is like the bomb for me, try maybe to think ahead what you would like to eat, pre log it and go for it.

good luck!

• karyabc
    edited August 2015
    If you just eat in moderation, no issues, but if it's a family of obese gluttons, that would drive me nuts. I just can't be around such people without their habits weakening my resolve. Obesity is contagious, and when we sleep with dogs, we get fleas.

After that, I GET OUT!

What if it's your partner and kids?

huh? brother #1 410 lbs, brother #2 450 lbs, brother #3 330 lbs, what do you mean you can't tolerate them?, how would you handle my obese glutton situation.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    If you just eat in moderation, no issues, but if it's a family of obese gluttons, that would drive me nuts. I just can't be around such people without their habits weakening my resolve.

After that, I GET OUT!

What?
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member

After that, I GET OUT!

Not sure about this post. :/