Coconut Oil Good/Bad?

Options
I started using allot of coconut Oil and spread in place of all oils and butter. but today someone told me that it is bad for you due to saturated Fat.? I thought it was better. Any opinions on organic Coconut oil.?? I just love earth balance coconut spread. My mom is gluten free and has lots loads of weight and swears by fish oil pills. coconut oil and maybe olive oil but no other oils. I know everything in moderation but I have been using a trader joe's coconut spray that is 0 calories and I LOVE it!

Replies

• criscindymalosh
    Options
    People seem to fall into two categories: either saturated fat is good, or it is evil.

The question is, how do you feel when you eat coconut oil? Do you feel better? Are you better able to accomplish your goals? Do you feel energetic, content?

Or do you feel sluggish, yucky, hungry all of the time?

Eat what feels right to you, and don't worry about what other people say.
  • Purpleice18
    Options
    Saturated fats and trans fats are known as the “bad fats” because they increase your risk of disease and elevate cholesterol.
    coconut oil is good for your hair and "oil pulling"

Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats are known as the “good fats” because they are good for your heart, your cholesterol, and your overall health.
    the best type of oil to eat is olive or grape oil. I prefer olive oil. you can also use olive oil for hair, and grape oil for your skin.
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil to get some healthy fat in for small things like eggs. I also use it in my hair and dry elbows.

For larger things, I go with EVOO.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Fun fact, coconut oil is great for the bedroom too!

Wife and I accidentally left the bottle out in the kitchen and a friend was frying eggs with it.

...didn't have the heart to tell them what it was used for. But the eggs were GREAT! So since then I apply it to my cooking.
  • super_J73
    super_J73 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I love coconut, never used coconut oil though.
  • jahowell
    jahowell Posts: 67
    Options
    I think it's good for you inside and out, suppose to help you lose weight and good for your thyroid? Whether its true or not??? I read the book Coconut Oil Miracle, its a a lot of good info on it!
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    From my understanding (which is moderate-low research level) it's better than many other oils for you to ingest... but, it's also the cause of much rainforest removal to plant coconut trees... so its bad for the environment. Meh. I've only done a bit of research on it though so don't take that as gospel in either case.
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    The beginning of this article is a lot of medical terms, but the end is a good summary if you don't want to go through the whole thing

http://www.kumc.edu/school-of-medicine/integrative-medicine/health-topics/healthy-cooking-oils.html
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It has many nutritional properties...chief among them would be a particular saturated fat called lauric acid (not all saturated fats are created equal)...lauric acid has shown to increase levels of HDL cholesterol (which is good). Studies also indicate a number of other health benefits as well.

That said, people take this type of information and then stupefy what they are doing..."oh...it has nutritional properties that are good for you...guess I should start eating it by the gallon then." It's still fat...it's still calorie dense...it can most definitely be included as a healthy part of a balanced diet...just don't fail on your other nutrition and buy into "coconut is magic" bull ****.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Saturated fats and trans fats are known as the “bad fats” because they increase your risk of disease and elevate cholesterol.
    coconut oil is good for your hair and "oil pulling"

Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats are known as the “good fats” because they are good for your heart, your cholesterol, and your overall health.
    the best type of oil to eat is olive or grape oil. I prefer olive oil. you can also use olive oil for hair, and grape oil for your skin.

Saturated fat isn't neccisaril ybad for you (and in some cases, very beneficial)
    plus oil pulling is a total hoax.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Fun fact, coconut oil is great for the bedroom too!

Wife and I accidentally left the bottle out in the kitchen and a friend was frying eggs with it.

...didn't have the heart to tell them what it was used for. But the eggs were GREAT! So since then I apply it to my cooking.

:laugh: Oh my god, dying here! lmao

We keep two separate containers.... :wink:
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of debate around tropical oils - palm and coconut oil, specifically. They are considered saturated fats because they are solid at room temperature. However, most plant based saturated fats are made from medium chain fatty acids (which are easier for your body to use and it uses them more quickly), versus animal sources of saturated fats which are made up of long chain fatty acids (which are harder for your body to use, and get stored as fat). It's dependent too upon the type of fatty acids. About half of the saturated fat in coconut oil is lauric acid, which increases HDL cholesterol ("good" cholesterol), and increasing HDL will help to decrease LDL ("bad" cholesterol) because HDL is responsible for transporting LDL back to the liver to be broken down and "recycled."

I oil pull, but not for "detoxing" or whatever. I like the way it makes my teeth feel, it seems to help prevent plaque from building up during the day, and coconut oil has antimicrobial properties, so it can improve breath and help prevent dental caries. It also seems to make flossing easier lol.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Coconut is totally fine, IIFYM.

Of course, eating 2 lbs of it per day probably isn't.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Butter or coconut oil.... Hmm?? Doesnt matter to me.

Coconut oil in respect is no different from cooking your food with EVOO. Still a healthy fat...
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Great!
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've been using coconut oil in all my food preparations I definitely see all the benefits and absolutely love it my tummy is flat I've lost weight my energy levels have increased my cholesterol has lowered the list goes on but all in all it is nutritional
    and beneficial -- You need healthy fats to break down stored unhealthy fats.

Coconut fats have special fats called medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). It has been shown that breaking down these types of healthy fats in the liver leads to efficient burning of energy. Consuming (about 2 tablespoons) of coconut oil daily for 12 weeks you do not gain more weight, but actually had lowered amounts of abdominal fat, a type of fat that is difficult to lose which contributes to heart problems etc.

Here are some benefits of coconut oil;

Is heart healthy; improves cholesterol ratio reducing risk of heart disease 
    Protects arteries from injury that causes atherosclerosis and thus protects 
    against heart disease 
    Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay 
    Functions as a protective antioxidant 
    Helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease 
    Does not deplete the body's antioxidant reserves like other oils do 
    Improves utilization of essential fatty acids and protects them from oxidation 
    Helps relieve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome 
    Relieves symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement) 
    Reduces epileptic seizures 
    Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infections. 
    Dissolves kidney stones 
    Helps prevent liver disease 
    Is lower in calories than all other fats 
    Supports thyroid function 
    Promotes loss of excess weight by increasing metabolic rate 
    It Is utilized by the body to produce energy in preference to being stored as body fat like other dietary fats 
    Helps prevent obesity and overweight problems 
    Applied topically helps to form a chemical barrier on the skin to ward of infection 
    Reduces symptoms associated the psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis 
    Supports the natural chemical balance of the skin. Softens skin and helps relieve dryness and flaking 
    Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots 
    Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion 
    Provides protection form damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation form the sun 
    Kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses 
    Kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, and other diseases 
    Kills fungi and yeasts that cause candida, ringworm, athlete's foot, thrush, diaper rash, and other infections 
    Expels or kills tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites 
    Provides a nutritional source of quick energy 
    Boosts energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance 
    Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, amino acids 
    Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose 
    Relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body 
    Reduces symptoms associated with pancreatitis 
    Helps relieves symptoms and reduce health risks associated with diabetes 
    Reduces problems associated with mal-absorption syndrome and cystic fibrosis 
    Improves calcium and magnesium absorption and supports the development of strong bones and teeth. 
    Helps protect against osteoporosis 
    Helps relieve symptoms associated with gallbladder disease 
    Relieves symptoms associated with Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers 
    Improves digestion and bowel function 
    Relieves pain and irritation caused by hemorrhoids 
    Reduces inflammation 
    Supports tissue healing and repair 
    Supports and aids immune system function 
    Helps protect the body from breast, colon, and other cancers 

Hope this helps :) ... If you need more info let me know!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is a lot of information and good to know.
    Thanks for writing all that. :bigsmile:

I just use coconut milk in my smoothies and coconut oil for our popcorn.
    It tastes really yummy!
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    The saturated fats in it are good fats. Not all saturated fats are bad. Coconut oil is good for you and I use it for everything from stir-fry's and eggs to conditioning my hair and as lip balm.
  • ZionArtis
    ZionArtis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks going to share
    CelebrateLife
  • ced1389
    ced1389 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This is SO out of left field but its also really good for your hair and skin!! Just sayin :)