Replies

• VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I eat it. It's yummy.
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is fantastic! I add it to hot chocolate (with stevia not sugar) and also use it in cooking. I suffer from eczema a bit and find it really helps that too. Don't worry about it being a saturated fat as it is the good type (as mentioned above). Also trans fats are really the ones you need to watch out for not saturated fat.
  • babbgirl1975
    babbgirl1975 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This may be a silly question, but what is the proper way to use these oils on your hair? I have very dry, brittle type hair naturally and I tried the coconut oil. I was told to heat it a bit and rub into hair not getting on the scalp (which is pretty dang near impossible to do). It left my hair so extremely oily & I hated the texture! I've used mayonnaise before & actually love the texture it leaves my hair but ugh so messy! Thanks :)
  • HSokol
    HSokol Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    People seem to fall into two categories: either saturated fat is good, or it is evil.

The question is, how do you feel when you eat coconut oil? Do you feel better? Are you better able to accomplish your goals? Do you feel energetic, content?

Or do you feel sluggish, yucky, hungry all of the time?

Eat what feels right to you, and don't worry about what other people say.

I wish there was a like button for posts because i couldnt agree with you more.
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This may be a silly question, but what is the proper way to use these oils on your hair? I have very dry, brittle type hair naturally and I tried the coconut oil. I was told to heat it a bit and rub into hair not getting on the scalp (which is pretty dang near impossible to do). It left my hair so extremely oily & I hated the texture! I've used mayonnaise before & actually love the texture it leaves my hair but ugh so messy! Thanks :)
    I was wondering about this too..
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options

I use it as an oil treatment. Heat up a few tablespoons and put all through my hair, including the scalp. I leave on an hour...two..overnight...however much time I have to not have to go out and look presentable. Then I take a shower and use a mild shampoo. No conditiioner and it leaves my hair super silky. If I do it once a week it seems to keep it from drying out in between. Definitly wayyy to oily to not rinse out in most hair types.
  • ced1389
    ced1389 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

Hey ladies, are you washing your hair after? My grandmother is a beautician so I have heard a lot of tips and tricks. Get your hair a tiny bit wet first (either mist with squirt bottle or get a comb wet and just comb through) then massage it in starting directly at the scalp!!! Let it set 20 to 30 minutes (longer if you have time) and then wash your hair. When you apply directly to scalp, massage it all the way down so its not sitting in one place. And don't do it too often, twice a week should be sufficient.
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    <~~~I put it in my hair
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options

You literally just need enough to coat your fingertip...I'd say maybe a 1/16 teaspoon, the only heat you need to apply is by rubbing it between your hands, then apply it to the ends of you hair. Then brush your hair to distribute it through the length of your hair. There will be no oily residue and your hair will look healthier.

Also, it's great to use it for a hot oil treatment. Take a generous amount (depending on your hair length...I used about a tablespoon), and coat your hair (dry, not wet), try to get every strand from root to tip. Wrap your hair in plastic wrap or put on a shower cap and keep it on for 20-30 minutes. Wash, condition and dry you hair as per usual. This makes you hair soft and more manageable with less breakage.

I usually do the hot oil treatment once a week and put the coconut oil on my ends about 2x a week (but my hair is very, very dry).

:flowerforyou:
  • babbgirl1975
    Options
    Thanks!

I use it as an oil treatment. Heat up a few tablespoons and put all through my hair, including the scalp. I leave on an hour...two..overnight...however much time I have to not have to go out and look presentable. Then I take a shower and use a mild shampoo. No conditiioner and it leaves my hair super silky. If I do it once a week it seems to keep it from drying out in between. Definitly wayyy to oily to not rinse out in most hair types.
    [/quote]
  • babbgirl1975
    Options

Hey ladies, are you washing your hair after? My grandmother is a beautician so I have heard a lot of tips and tricks. Get your hair a tiny bit wet first (either mist with squirt bottle or get a comb wet and just comb through) then massage it in starting directly at the scalp!!! Let it set 20 to 30 minutes (longer if you have time) and then wash your hair. When you apply directly to scalp, massage it all the way down so its not sitting in one place. And don't do it too often, twice a week should be sufficient.

Does it matter the brands you use? I put it in my hair while it was dry. Left it on at least on hour. Rinsed, then shampooed & conditioned as normal. My hair never felt yuckier???
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    paleo friendly way of eating, coconut oil=yummy
  • Annie83uk
    Annie83uk Posts: 128
    Options
    it's good for your health but not for your purse, its used in alot of jillian michaels recipes so must be ok.
  • ced1389
    ced1389 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

Does it matter the brands you use? I put it in my hair while it was dry. Left it on at least on hour. Rinsed, then shampooed & conditioned as normal. My hair never felt yuckier???

Hmm, I shall ask! What brand were you using, if I may ask? And how much did you put in your hair?
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I use it twice a day to moisturise my face, my skin has never been clearer!
  • Purpleice18
    Options

sometimes you need to shampoo a couple times, till the greasy feeling is almost gone. and sometimes I dont condition because the oil is enough on those days.
  • Purpleice18
    Options
    Saturated fats and trans fats are known as the “bad fats” because they increase your risk of disease and elevate cholesterol.
    coconut oil is good for your hair and "oil pulling"

Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats are known as the “good fats” because they are good for your heart, your cholesterol, and your overall health.
    the best type of oil to eat is olive or grape oil. I prefer olive oil. you can also use olive oil for hair, and grape oil for your skin.

Saturated fat isn't neccisaril ybad for you (and in some cases, very beneficial)
    plus oil pulling is a total hoax.

saturated fat is pretty bad for you. If you go to any website that is credible you can read a lot on the harmful things it does to your body, which definately out weigh the good it does. If you want a heart attack at age 45 but for your skin to feel silky smooth then sure. But if you want both then stick to mono and poly fats.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/General/Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Bad-Fats_UCM_306349_Article.jsp

"The "bad” fats are saturated and trans fats.

Saturated: Saturated fats occur naturally in many foods. The majority we eat come mainly from animal sources, meat and dairy (milk fat) such as fatty beef, lamb, pork, poultry with skin, beef fat (tallow), lard and cream, butter, cheese, and other dairy products made from whole or reduced-fat (2%) milk. These foods also contain cholesterol. Many baked goods and fried foods can also contain high levels of saturated fats. Some plant foods, such as palm oil, palm kernel oil, and coconut oil, also contain primarily saturated fats, but do not contain cholesterol.

Trans: Trans fats are found in many foods. About 20–25 percent come from animal fat and 75–80 percent come from partially hydrogenated fat – especially in commercial baked goods (pastries, biscuits, muffins, cakes, pie crusts, doughnuts and cookies) and fried foods (French fries, fried chicken, breaded chicken nuggets and breaded fish), snack foods (popcorn, crackers), and other foods made with partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, traditional vegetable shortening or stick margarine. (Soft margarines typically contain very low levels of trans fats.) "
    -heart.org

coconut oil is ok in moderation like anything else, but I would not use it as my main oil
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,006 Member
    Options
    Saturated fats and trans fats are known as the “bad fats” because they increase your risk of disease and elevate cholesterol.
    coconut oil is good for your hair and "oil pulling"

Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats are known as the “good fats” because they are good for your heart, your cholesterol, and your overall health.
    the best type of oil to eat is olive or grape oil. I prefer olive oil. you can also use olive oil for hair, and grape oil for your skin.

Saturated fat isn't neccisaril ybad for you (and in some cases, very beneficial)
    plus oil pulling is a total hoax.

saturated fat is pretty bad for you. If you go to any website that is credible you can read a lot on the harmful things it does to your body, which definately out weigh the good it does. If you want a heart attack at age 45 but for your skin to feel silky smooth then sure. But if you want both then stick to mono and poly fats.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/General/Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Bad-Fats_UCM_306349_Article.jsp

"The "bad” fats are saturated and trans fats.

Saturated: Saturated fats occur naturally in many foods. The majority we eat come mainly from animal sources, meat and dairy (milk fat) such as fatty beef, lamb, pork, poultry with skin, beef fat (tallow), lard and cream, butter, cheese, and other dairy products made from whole or reduced-fat (2%) milk. These foods also contain cholesterol. Many baked goods and fried foods can also contain high levels of saturated fats. Some plant foods, such as palm oil, palm kernel oil, and coconut oil, also contain primarily saturated fats, but do not contain cholesterol.

Trans: Trans fats are found in many foods. About 20–25 percent come from animal fat and 75–80 percent come from partially hydrogenated fat – especially in commercial baked goods (pastries, biscuits, muffins, cakes, pie crusts, doughnuts and cookies) and fried foods (French fries, fried chicken, breaded chicken nuggets and breaded fish), snack foods (popcorn, crackers), and other foods made with partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, traditional vegetable shortening or stick margarine. (Soft margarines typically contain very low levels of trans fats.) "
    -heart.org

coconut oil is ok in moderation like anything else, but I would not use it as my main oil
    You would think after 40 years of saturated fat being the bulls eye and thousands of studies to try and show causation by just about every health organization and the Gov't that it would have come to pass. Now we're hearing (studies) don't replace saturated fat for carbs, especially refined because it's atherogenic.....weird, wouldn't you say?
  • hilarymcm
    hilarymcm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil has a lot of minerals and antimicrobials, so it's more beneficial than not. Its best property is that it can withstand high-heat cooking without breaking down, whereas other oils tend to oxidize, which deteriorates their beneficial properties and even makes them unhealthy in some cases.

This is semi-irrelevant, but if you have naturally wavy/curly hair, using a tiny dab of coconut oil on your hair when it's wet from the shower will give you "beach waves."
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Fun fact, coconut oil is great for the bedroom too!

Wife and I accidentally left the bottle out in the kitchen and a friend was frying eggs with it.

...didn't have the heart to tell them what it was used for. But the eggs were GREAT! So since then I apply it to my cooking.

HAHA!! Love it!