Help: Gaining weight while cutting fat

Options
Can anyone provide some insight on effective ways to build muscle while cutting belly fat? I understand, most importantly, the mid section is made in the kitchen. My diet is pretty spot on regarding calories (protein, fat, and carbs). My typical daily intake of calories is around 3700 - about 22% of that from fats, about 40% of that from protein, and the rest from carbs. I weigh about 190 lbs and im 6'2 and typically consume about 1.5-2gs of protein per pound. Same figures for carbs as well.
My goal weight is about 205, and while I've been able to add mass, I can't seem to cut the stubborn belly fat I accumulated back in college. I work out 4-5 times a week, and add in cardio about 3 days. I hardly consume Trans fats. My next move is cutting the alcohol out, however I'm not a heavy drinker to begin with.

Any suggestions to kill the fat?

Replies

• Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't gain weight and loose fat at the same time. When you're bulking you gain both muscle and fat. The only way to loose fat is to cut. You can either wait till you reached your goal weight and then cut to get rid of the excess fat, or cut now and then bulk.

Then start the process all over again till you get to your desired weight and BF %. Do you know what your current BF % is?

You can recomp to loose body fat and gain muscle but this is a super slow process and wont get you to your goal of 205.

Changing your macros doesn't affect what kind of weight you gain. Genetics and the intensity of your workouts do but you can never just gain muscle without some fat.
  • RyanT0115
    RyanT0115 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No sir, I do not currently know what my BF% is. Not sure exactly how to calculate it.

Thank you for the input. I had a feeling you had to do one or the other, and not both simultaneously. Since I have already begun eating and training to put the weight on, I will continue this course until I've reached 205 and then cut to get rid of the fat.

So because I will do it this way, my follow up is how do you cut once I've reached my goal weight? Is it as simple as creating a calorie deficit? Expending more than I'm taking in? Will that cause muscle depletion as well?
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Here is a very good thread about recomp (gaining muscle while losing fat): https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat#latest
    It can be done, it is just slower than bulking and cutting. I know it can be done because I am doing it.
  • Giolis
    Options
    Yup. That is correct - expending more than you take in. Yes, it will cause muscle depletion if done too quickly and without continuing the resistance training. Also, protein is more important during a cut than a bulk (which you're getting plenty).

in order to minimize the muscle loss don't jump right into a cut. Go to maintenance for a couple of weeks (calories in = calories expended).

Then drop your calories by about 500 each day until you get the desired results.

As for measuring body fat there's you can buy one of those calipers for a few bucks on Amazon. They're not very accurate but if you use it to just track the change you'll at least know that you're moving in the right direction.

Tape measure work too. Take overall body measurements, including your waist and then compare as you cut.
  • RyanT0115
    Options
    Thanks Alassonde.

I think I will opt for the bulking, then cutting method since I've been engaged in the bulking process for a few weeks now.

What are your thoughts on methods of cutting? Is maintaining the same levels of protein intake so there is no muscle depletion, but cutting the intake of carbs a sufficient way? I've never been through a cutting phase so the methods are a little new to me.
  • Giolis
    Options
    Alassonde wrote: »
    Here is a very good thread about recomp (gaining muscle while losing fat): https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat#latest
    It can be done, it is just slower than bulking and cutting. I know it can be done because I am doing it.

Op's goal is to gain 15 lbs. So a recomp isn't for him now. He might use it once he reaches goal as an option to cutting and bulking again.
  • Giolis
    Options
    take a look at this interview with Eric Helms. He explains pretty well how to do a proper cut.

The actual interview starts at around minute 2:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlfsM45VQPU
  • RyanT0115
    Options
    Giolis wrote: »
    Yup. That is correct - expending more than you take in. Yes, it will cause muscle depletion if done too quickly and without continuing the resistance training. Also, protein is more important during a cut than a bulk (which you're getting plenty).

in order to minimize the muscle loss don't jump right into a cut. Go to maintenance for a couple of weeks (calories in = calories expended).

Then drop your calories by about 500 each day until you get the desired results.

As for measuring body fat there's you can buy one of those calipers for a few bucks on Amazon. They're not very accurate but if you use it to just track the change you'll at least know that you're moving in the right direction.

Tape measure work too. Take overall body measurements, including your waist and then compare as you cut.

This help a alot! Reconfirms what I was already thinking. Last question regarding cutting - during this phase I will obviously want to cut the carb intake, correct? Maintaining my current levels of protein intake won't be a problem, but for fat cutting I will want to decrease carb intake?

And what about fat intake? My sources of fat come mostly from almond butter, fish oil, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, low fat cottage cheese, and a few others. My intake is at about 85gs per day. Leave this alone, or cut fat too during cutting phase?
  • RyanT0115
    Options
    take a look at this interview with Eric Helms. He explains pretty well how to do a proper cut.

The actual interview starts at around minute 2:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlfsM45VQPU

Great, I'll give this a watch tonight!
  • Giolis
    Options
    If I calculated correctly, I think your fat intake is about 20% of your calories. I would definitely not reduce that, since it's believed that too low fat intake reduces your testosterone and other hormone levels. Your good with proteins, some might say a little high, so by default the only thing that can change is carbs.

Good luck. Take some before and after pics so that you can track your progress.
  • RyanT0115
    Options
    If I calculated correctly, I think your fat intake is about 20% of your calories. I would definitely not reduce that, since it's believed that too low fat intake reduces your testosterone and other hormone levels. Your good with proteins, some might say a little high, so by default the only thing that can change is carbs.

Yes, this app calculated my fats to be 22%. As far as the protein, I am still experimenting with that, but wanted to at least be at 2g / lb of body weight, and I weigh roughly 190.

Thanks for all the advice!
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    RyanT0115 wrote: »

Yes, this app calculated my fats to be 22%. As far as the protein, I am still experimenting with that, but wanted to at least be at 2g / lb of body weight, and I weigh roughly 190.

Thanks for all the advice!

Your body cannot synthesize protein beyond 0.6-0.85 g/lb lean body mass unless you are on gear. Excess protein beyond that amount gets converted to glucose via GNG. There is no need for natural lifters to get more than 1 g/lb lean body mass unless you just like to eat a whole lot of protein. Minimum 0.4 g/lb lean body mass dietary fat is a good rule of thumb:
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/FatsAndOils/Fats101/My-Fats-Translator_UCM_428869_Article.jsp
    Rest can go to carbs or whatever you prefer. Carbs are important when bulking, not so critical when cutting.
  • RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    No matter what you do keep the protein the same. To bulk, increase carbs to stack those calories high. To cut, decrease carbs as you see fit.
  • szeu118
    szeu118 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    RyanT0115 wrote: »
    Can anyone provide some insight on effective ways to build muscle while cutting belly fat? I understand, most importantly, the mid section is made in the kitchen. My diet is pretty spot on regarding calories (protein, fat, and carbs). My typical daily intake of calories is around 3700 - about 22% of that from fats, about 40% of that from protein, and the rest from carbs. I weigh about 190 lbs and im 6'2 and typically consume about 1.5-2gs of protein per pound. Same figures for carbs as well.
    My goal weight is about 205, and while I've been able to add mass, I can't seem to cut the stubborn belly fat I accumulated back in college. I work out 4-5 times a week, and add in cardio about 3 days. I hardly consume Trans fats. My next move is cutting the alcohol out, however I'm not a heavy drinker to begin with.

Any suggestions to kill the fat?

Seems like u r going for lean mass so to fight fat gain do a 15 minute cardio session after ur workouts inb4 old school Tip I and mates use
  • Giolis
    Options
    ^
    Um, no!

Cardio also fights muscle gain. You'll be burning more calories which means there'll be less for your body to use as a building block.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ^
    Um, no!

Cardio also fights muscle gain. You'll be burning more calories which means there'll be less for your body to use as a building block.

while I don't agree with him- I don't agree with you.

Cardio doesn't fight muscle gain- it just means you have to eat more. that's it.

If you like cardio- and can stomach eating the deficit of calories- then by all means do so- most people can't handle that kind of calorie intake on top of a surplus already- its just tiring- but if you can there is no reason not to if it makes you happy.
  • Giolis
    Options
    I know. I just didn't finish the thought. You have less so you have to eat more to make up for the loss. Which if you're using it to burn fat during a bulk I think it just leads you to spinning your wheels.