Sausage gravy?

Options
2»

Replies

• beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love "real" biscuits and gravy but came up with an easy sub that is lower cal and still tasty. I'll eat this over scrambled eggs for extra protein.

3 tablespoons bacon grease
    3 tablespoons flour
    3 cups milk (skim is fine, but will need to simmer longer)
    1 roll turkey sausage (I found Jennie O brand at target)
    salt/pepper

Brown and crumble sausage over med heat, draining water as needed so it can brown properly. Season liberally with salt and pepper then set aside. In the same pan whisk together the bacon fat and flour to make a roux and cook over med heat for about 2 min or until it starts to darken slightly. Slowly add the milk, whisking as you go. Bring up to a boil and then reduce to medium-low. Depending on the milk you have it may take a while to reduce, but just be patient and stil occasionally. Season generously with salt and pepper. When the gravy has thickened add the sausage back in and serve :)

This is close to the "real" recipe except for that I use pork sausage and whole milk. I always use bacon grease as the base because that's what my dad taught me. Good luck!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Just buy the store stuff, and take just a bite yourself.
    - Portion control.
    Otherwise you will spend hours in the kitchen for a meal that is not healthy.
    Careful with boyfriends that like fattening foods - they can make you fat.

My boyfriend has helped me lose over 70 pounds. We mostly eat healthy but we do treat ourselves sometimes. And I prefer making my own food so I know exactly what's in it. Thanks anyway.

MamaFunky - I ended up following your recipe for the most part (had to add a little more flour, and ended up using regular milk) it turned out pretty good for my first try!
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a recipe for sausage gravy that both has plenty of good flavor, and isn't ridiculously high in calories? I am not from the south, I only live here, so I've never made sausage gravy before and I don't want to screw it up! It will be going on biscuits, by the way.
    I heard of a young person who temporarily moved to Tuscany and then tried to learn Italian cooking from American websites.

Cajun and Creole cooking are genuine American regional cuisines. Here's hoping you can make the most of it! :p