It's not a diet it's a ..

Options
It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change!

Crash diets do not work, for long term results. Eating clean, and healthy will help you lose weight and/ or maintain your weight, but really it's a lifestyle change not a diet.

Mini vent.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is not a prerequisite to losing weight, or keeping it off.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I could change my lifestyle and eat what might be considered clean and healthy but in a caloric surplus ( esp putting away nuts and nut butters, coconut oil/milk, avocados, etc).

It's about energy balance and imbalance. An imbalance is what's necessary both to gain and lose weight. And balance is what's necessary to stay the same.

Whatever you eat, this is so.
  • helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree for me it's a lifestyle change, but each person finds what works for them. You don't have to eat clean or healthy to lose weight, you just have to eat less calories than what you burn.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,041 Member
    Options
    Personally ... I'm on a diet.

I am deliberately eating fewer calories than I burn.

I have absolutely no intention to make this a "lifestyle" thing. I do not want to continue eating fewer calories than I burn. At some point in the relatively near future, I will reach my goal and return to my usual "lifestyle".

You see, I did the calculations and over the past 4 years, I consumed an extra 79 cal/day on average to reach my peak weight. In other words, my lifestyle was pretty close to right. 79 cal/day is not much. So I'm in an adjustment phase right now - a diet - and when I return to my lifestyle, I'll just watch the intake a bit ... or exercise a bit more. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If you're in a deficit and counting your calories so you don't go over your deficit, then you're on a diet. ..
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    azucker88 wrote: »
    It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change!

Crash diets do not work, for long term results. Eating clean, and healthy will help you lose weight and/ or maintain your weight, but really it's a lifestyle change not a diet.

Mini vent.

Try saying this on repeat over a dozen times a day everyday for four years. I work in a supplement shop and have this speech down :)
  • erimethia_fekre
    Options
    If you're in a deficit and counting your calories so you don't go over your deficit, then you're on a diet. ..

Your diet is what you eat. It's not a diet, it's just what you eat period. There are different types of diets if that's what you're getting at
  • erimethia_fekre
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I have absolutely no intention to make this a "lifestyle" thing. I do not want to continue eating fewer calories than I burn. At some point in the relatively near future, I will reach my goal and return to my usual "lifestyle".

You see, I did the calculations and over the past 4 years, I consumed an extra 79 cal/day on average to reach my peak weight. In other words, my lifestyle was pretty close to right. 79 cal/day is not much. So I'm in an adjustment phase right now - a diet - and when I return to my lifestyle, I'll just watch the intake a bit ... or exercise a bit more. :)

Don't be surprised if you gain your weight back. Not trying to be mean...
  • Machka9
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »

I have been slender most of my life ... just gained a little bit in the last 4 years. I don't see any reason why I wouldn't continue to be slender. But if I do gain that little bit of weight back ... oh well, I'll just lose it again. :) No biggie.

• Christine_72
    Options

Your diet is what you eat. It's not a diet, it's just what you eat period. There are different types of diets if that's what you're getting at

I use the word diet as it is most often used. You "diet" to lose weight. When you aren't trying to lose weight, then you are no longer on a diet.

• Machka9
    edited August 2015
    Options

I use the word diet as it is most often used. You "diet" to lose weight. When you aren't trying to lose weight, then you are no longer on a diet.

+1

And I have no desire (or need) to remain on a diet for the rest of my life. But right now, it is helping me make a minor adjustment. :)

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's a diet.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I am on a diet AND I am making a lifestyle change.

I am not offended by the word diet, as I am restricting myself at the moment, but I will not always be restricting myself this severely. When I get to my goal, I will be restricting myself in a mild and manageable way in order to maintain my weight and I will be continuing to log.

My lifestyle needed to change because when I was just doing my thing (eating everything appealing in quantities that pleased me) I was getting as fat as a little piggy. I was also tired all the time and my skin and health were suffering.

I want to keep making better food choices in smaller quantities as I am too vain, busy and adventurous to be fat.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    It's a diet.

Yep, you can sugar coat it anyway you like. But it is what it is...

• Machka9
    Options
    And any thought that this might be a "lifestyle" is really disheartening and demotivating.

That said, I will take certain things I've discovered in the past few months with me when I get to the "lifestyle" part. For example, in my search for low-cal foods, I discovered a certain line of soups I really like. One in particular is now my new favourite lunch. I don't plan to give that up! It's a win-win thing for me ... low cal + really tasty.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

Yes, your diet is what you eat. That's one way the word "diet" refers. When people say they are on a diet they typically mean they are purposefully restricting their intake in some fashion to achieve an energy imbalance for weight loss. That's another way the word "diet" refers.

Usage is how words are defined. The dictionary records usage, it doesn't prescribe one solitary definition of any given word that society must be beholden to for all time.

Yes you are, she explained what she meant and you ignored it.

• Jamr8231
    Jamr8231 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    ....it's a way of life! There is no temporary thing when it comes to eating healthy and maintaining your weight!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change is a trendy phrase and some of this lifestyle change vs diet talk just seems to be arguing about semantics to me.

Yes you are restricting your calories to lose weight and not over eating calories to maintain weight.
    Yes if you want this to be Long term the changes need to be long term.

But whether you call that a diet or a lifestyle change is really semantics.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    "Diet" accurately and concisely conveys information. "Lifestyle change" conveys nothing. It is an affectation and a waste of breath.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

Yes, your diet is what you eat. That's one way the word "diet" refers. When people say they are on a diet they typically mean they are purposefully restricting their intake in some fashion to achieve an energy imbalance for weight loss. That's another way the word "diet" refers.

Usage is how words are defined. The dictionary records usage, it doesn't prescribe one solitary definition of any given word that society must be beholden to for all time.

Yes you are, she explained what she meant and you ignored it.

And context is a also important. You knew when she said diet she meant the cutting calories meaning the word. Stop arguing over semantics.

You're both right and you're both wrong. Deal with it like that adults I hope you are.