How do you maintain your motivation to exercise when it's so hot?

Options
I've been trying to exercise to lose weight. I'm working with a nutritionist, have learned a lot and with my new eating habits in place have lost 9 pounds but I am struggling to be consistent in walking and in exercising when it's so hot. Outside temperatures are ranging above 100 degrees and sometimes inside seems not much better - how do you do it?

Replies

• gaborszollosy
    gaborszollosy Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Getting my workouts done in an air conditioned gym helped me a lot :D
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida so I know what you are talking about!!! I have a desk job and like to walk on my two 15 minute breaks and my lunch hour. However, I have not been walking quite as much during work hours because of the heat. It's not nice coming back to work a sweaty mess! I just have to make up the steps in the evening or at the gym.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If I'm running, I get up early and run before the heat of the day sets in. If I'm cycling, I hydrate well, don't work too hard, and cycle into the wind as much as possible.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Have a back up plan...........exercise indoors

I live in the Midwest.....3' of snow on the ground is a good excuse (for me) too.

Tons of on-line videos to help you. I like Leslie Sansone & Jessica Smith DVDs. These are "indoor walking." OK, not just walking....but no choreography either. Simple & low impact.

www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jessica+smith+walking+workouts

If you find you like these workouts....but could do w/o all the chatter, newer DVDs give you a music only option.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I'm in south Texas, so I feel your pain. I honestly hate gyms, so I do go out for exercise. I've actually been waiting until 8pm or so when the temps start to drop before going out. Gives me a brief span of time to get in some walking. I'm also considering waking up earlier (6:15ish) to get in walking early, because it's even cooler then - that's more of a struggle for this non-morning person though.
  • DBrooks1979
    DBrooks1979 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    For me.. I have a desk job and have two fifteen minute breaks and a thirty min lunch break and I make use of the break times for walking.. I talk a long one a 10 before it gets really hot.. and then a short one at 3 in the afternoon because it is hot.. just make the afternoon one shorter and quicker or much slower place so I don't sweat and get all gunky...

Just ideas.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I don't workout outside during the summer since I don't do well in higher heat/humidity. So any exercise I do is at the gym or at home. I'll walk around my house in the evening on the phone or reading if I need more steps for the day.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm in Florida so I know how you feel! I go early, 9ish in the morning and am out for an hour or two. Depends on how often I stop for various things. You kind of get used to it I guess. And I always weigh myself when I get home, it's usually good for a 2-3lb water weight loss :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    It has to be done. My body isn't going to cut me any slack because I don't feel like being out in the heat. Earlier in the week when it was close to 110, I waited a little later in the evening, but not doing it just wasn't an option.

Maybe you could try a different time or drive to a route in a more tree-covered area. Shade makes a massive difference.
  • Bubba1922
    Bubba1922 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Wished I had that problem - it is always grey, cold or raining here.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    For me.. I have a desk job and have two fifteen minute breaks and a thirty min lunch break and I make use of the break times for walking.. I talk a long one a 10 before it gets really hot.. and then a short one at 3 in the afternoon because it is hot.. just make the afternoon one shorter and quicker or much slower place so I don't sweat and get all gunky...

Just ideas.

.....baby wipes

I keep these in my desk as a just in case.
  • Linovitz
    Linovitz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I live in the DC area, so we are hot here too. Maybe not 100 though. Here are some ideas that might work. Try to fit in your exercise early in the morning or late at night when it isn't so hot. If you have a basement, you can exercise there where it is cooler. If the ceiling is high enough, a jump rope works great. Body weight resistant exercises like bands are good and cheap. If you have a gym available - maybe even a walk-in YMCA or a community center? Another option is an exercise DVD you can do inside. I have a couple - one using an exercise ball. Last, how about swimming?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Or walk around the mall. Not the DC mall, a shopping mall.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    By thinking about how F'ing cold it's going to be here in a few short months.

That and I usually work out about 4:30 in the morning to avoid the heat, but welcome all humidity.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    It's not as hot at 5 am in the morning.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    True, but 86 at 5:15AM is crappy in its own way. Still better than 106 at 5:15PM, though.

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    True, but 86 at 5:15AM is crappy in its own way. Still better than 106 at 5:15PM, though.
    True! I work out at home in my basement and no central air. I just sort of push through it but I don't go as HAM as I do in the winter.

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5a and walk. I get to do yoga inside and swimming in the heat is no problem. But to get the walking done, I have to do it very, very early morning. I won't do it late evening, I know that about me. That leaves early morning whether I like it or not!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @Design4Me - if I lived where you do I'd join a gym, and look for one with a solid AC system - none of that fan nonsense.

When I lived in South Florida and had to walk our dog in the summer, I took him right at sun up and sun down.

Why is it so hot indoors? I work from home and put in duct-less split AC - best $3,000 I ever spent.
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy my gym. I look forward to going and do different things every time I go. As long as I am doing something, I am burning calories and strengthening my body. Maybe in the future I'll get more serious and get a program. I also like the machines that have the TV in them.

I have a treadmill at home, but the gym provides variety and some socializing