The retrospective: 'I can't believe I used to eat that'

Options

Replies

• LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I genuinely believe if I lived in the US I'd be twice the size I am now! You guys seem to have so much more variety of fast food, and damn, most of it sounds amazing!

In the UK I think we're a bit more limited with resturant/outlet options, but where there's a will there's a way! My blow-out meal was a chinese takeaway...enough for two people and I generally eat the leftovers (if there were any) for breakfast the next day. A typical meal (every week or two) would be:

1/4 crispy duck and pancakes with hoisin sauce
    salt and chilli fried squid
    special fried rice
    shrimp and cashew nuts in yellow bean sauce (cos nuts are 'good' fat right)
    mixed vegetables (to be healthy haha)
    and the entire bag of free prawn crackers.

BLEURGH.

I'm gonna guess WAY over 2,000kcal. I'd also often eat an entire Dominoes large thin crust meat pizza with lots of extra garlic & herb dip...would use almost a whole pot per slice.

Baby weight...yeah right!! And jeez, how much was I spending to destroy my health? Fast food is not cheap!

it's not amazing. it's actually pretty repulsive.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    In Jersey we have something called Disco Fries sold at pretty much every Diner. GIANT plate of fries with mozzerella cheese and brown or turkey gravy. I had the nerve to eat this with a vanilla milkshake to wash it down. Have no idea what the calorie/fat count was but lets just say probably more that 3 days of calories for me now. Never, ever again!
    I always wondered what Disco Fries were never had the nerve to try them
  • Treece68
    Options
    I would eat out breakfast every Friday morning
    3 slices french toast w/ butter, syrup & powdered sugar
    peasant potatoes
    2eggs scrambled w/ cheese
    4 slices bacon

I'm not sure how many calories that is but I'm sure it was a lot, and if I had overtime on my paycheck I would eat it twice a week.
  • AshleyBananas
    Options
    I started looking up caloric intake of fast food places once I joined MFP, and even places where I thought I was safe I wasn't. I counted calories on a Subway lunch I had.....here's the break down. When I had to count this in on my food in take I was like, no wonder I'm so big. I rarely eat out anymore.

6" Meatball sub, on cheese bread, with two slices american cheese - 550
    2 chocolate chunk cookies - 220 each total 440
    1 med coke/pepsi - 191

Total - 1181

After putting that in my calorie counter and thinking of all the days I ate 12 inch foot longs, or got kfc for lunch or dinner it started to click in my head that my eating was the majority of the problem with my weight issues.
  • AshleyBananas
    Options
    In Jersey we have something called Disco Fries sold at pretty much every Diner. GIANT plate of fries with mozzerella cheese and brown or turkey gravy. I had the nerve to eat this with a vanilla milkshake to wash it down. Have no idea what the calorie/fat count was but lets just say probably more that 3 days of calories for me now. Never, ever again!
    I always wondered what Disco Fries were never had the nerve to try them

Disco fries are soooo good especially when the weather turns cold. But, they're so bad for you!!!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was thinking of going to Wendy's and pulled out MFP. I always get the #1 thinking I'm making a sensible choice. The #1, with diet coke is 1,000 calories. Umm, I'll have to rethink that. But, Wendys was always my favorite burger place so I'll just need to find a lower calorie option.

Try ordering a kids meal. They're all under 400 calories (main entree + fry), so you'd be getting the taste but without crazy calories... plus a FUN TOY!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I was never that into fast food either. I love things like pasta and bread. Naturally, I LOVE olive garden.

Here is what I would get ( no, not an "everyday" kinda thing, but on weekends and such):

salad (probably two servings): 300 20 3 1520 22 4 4
    AT LEAST 2 Breadsticks with garlic-butter spread 280 4 0 740 52 4 10
    steak gorgonzola 1310 73 41 2190 82 9 81

All in all, that comes to: 1890 calories...plus all the other stuff.
    yuck.

If you truly love pasta & bread, you're doing a disservice to yourself by going to Olive Garden anyway ;)

it tastes good to me.

Exactly why we have the phrases "good taste" and "bad taste" ;)
  • tracileigh2
    tracileigh2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I used to be able to put this all away in one meal! My boyfriend and I would "treat" ourselves to James Coney Island and I would get:
    2 Chili Cheese Coneys at 402 calories each
    A Frito pie (fritos/chili w/beans) at 467 calories
    We would split an order of jalapeno corn dog bites at roughly 356 calories per 1/2 order
    Honey mustard dipping sauce at roughly 90 calories

= 1717 calories!!! For ONE meal.

We would, of course, make sure we had something sweet to eat later on after the food had settled from pigging out. YUCK!
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My go to lunch at Jimmy John's, which I ate at least once, but usually twice a week, was the Italian Night Club (#9): 948 calories!

For dinner, since I thought it was so time consuming to cook myself, I would usually pick up one of the following on my way home:

A burger with blue cheese and fries at Epic Burger: 1489 calories
    A cheeseburger and onion rings at Johnny Rockets: no nutritional information available, but probably similar to above
    A pepperoni and onion calzone at my local pizza place: no nutritional information available, but surely at least 1,000 calories

And that doesn't include all the mini candy bars I snacked on during the day at work. I can't even believe I used to eat like that every day. I was a little slow to realize that I could cook a piece of chicken and some veggies at home in much less time than it took to walk to Epic Burger or Johnny Rockets and wait for my burger.
  • Treece68
    Options
    This is really interesting for three reasons.

One- I think a lot of you might be american as I've never heard of half the things you're eating (I *really* don't want to know what a sausage biscuit is- sounds awful!)

Two- I've never been a big fast food eater myself- I love good, well made home cooked food- just too much of it!

Three- I'm surprised by how LOW some of these calorie counts are coming out, especially the McDonalds stuff- I thought it was much higher!

Anyway, to add my tuppenceworth, I could easily consume cheese for every meal and every part of every meal-i.e
    -baked camenbert for starter
    -fish pie with cheese mash top
    -cheeseboard for dessert.... yumyumyum

But caloriewise- it's awful! I do have to slightly avoid cheese now....
    To be a smart *kitten*
    Sausage -ground pork w/ spices shaped into a patty (like a hamburger) and cooked on a grill top or in a pan
    Biscuit - flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, butter & buttermilk mixed together kneaded rolled out and cut in circles and baked for 15-20min. Let cool cut biscuit in half insert sausage and eat - Sausage Biscuit

As an American fish pie sounds awful!
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I was never a big meal person but this is what I roughly ate as my sweet tooth fix.

Toblerone 400g bar

Energy 2100 cal
    Protein 27g
    Carbohydrate 240g
    Sugars 236g
    Fat 116g
    Saturated 70g
    Fibre 8.8g
    Sodium 240 mg

Depressing.
  • Treece68
    Options
    I went to college at a Big 10 school where there was a 'main street' with a TON of restaurants, and I lived on that main street. Almost daily, I would eat something disgusting. There was a place I *LOVED* called "FAT SANDWICH" and the sandwich I ate was called a "FAT F". It contained CHEESESTEAK, MOZZARELLA STICKS, CHICKEN FINGERS, MAYONAISE KETCHUP AND FRIES. I believe it was 1300 calories.
    I also had Fat Sandwich I ate it one time and felt like I was going to die afterward but it was very good going in
  • ak2k
    ak2k Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I only eat fast food a few times a year - when I'm in a pinch. I cut out fried foods completely (accept tortilla and vegetable chips - which I love) about 6 months ago.
    For those of you looking for really good-for-you foods, take a look at this link: http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20331905,00.html

My diet revolves around these foods. I make sure to get at least 3-4 of these every day. I already take an Omega-3 supplement so I'm not so worried about the salmon and walnuts (plus walnuts are so high in calories they're hard to incorporate into a weight-loss diet (same with avocados). But greek yogurt, blueberries, broccoli, olive oil, red beans, and dark chocolate (a small square after dinner - yum) are all easy to work in. And they all help me prevent diseases and cancers every day! ....that remids me, I need to get some green tea....
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    1. I'm still depressed about the calorie count in a large Dunkin Donuts coffee with cream and sugar. SOMETIMES I would get it with 1 sugar instead, but still :( large w/ cream is 120 so i can't imagine what it is with 1 sugar instead of 2 (can't find it). Needless to say, I've reluctantly stopped going to Dunkin Donuts altogether. Drinking calories is the worst.

2. Before I was really fat, but still obsessed with my weight, I used to eat 2 packets of Quaker Oatmeal with 2% milk because that's what my mom bought and i used to think skim milk tasted like water. 451 calories!! that's more than one of my meals right now and has almost no protein, tons of sugar and sodium. uggh!
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    You know those big party-sized bags of frozen chicken wings? I would bake the whole bag, and snarf the whole thing down by myself...smothered in Sweet Baby Ray's.

With a salad.

But no carb-loaded side dish, because I didn't want to be a glutton :huh:

Of course, I was home alone because I couldn't let anyone see me eat that.

LOL you're not alone, i've definitely done stuff like that! :laugh:
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Back in my poor college days, my most regular meal was two double cheeseburgers and a large fry from McDonald's.

Calories 1120
    Calories from Fat 510
    Cholesterol 160mg (53%)
    Protein 53g
    Sodium 2400mg (100%)
    Vitamin A 1000IU (20%)
    Total Fat 57g (87%)
    Total Carbs 98g (33%)
    Vitamin C 7mg (10%)
    Saturated Fat 23g (116%)
    Dietary Fiber 7g (27%)
    Calcium 560mg (60%)
    Trans Fat 3g
    Sugars 15g
    Iron 7.5mg (45%)

I'd usually go home and add at least one can of Dr. Pepper to the mix too. Blech.

Yep this was my go to meal as well, especially if I was hung over!
  • reallyally1
    Options
    I used to eat an entire DiGiorno cheese pizza by myself... 1856 calories! So disgusting.
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    IHOP Breakfast Sampler... I finally gave it up and now I'm fine with just eating 3 boiled eggs instead.

Calories 757
    Calories from Fat 423
    Total Fat 47g
    Saturated Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 635mg
    Sodium 2422mg
    Total Carbohydrate 36g
    Dietary Fiber 0g
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 43g
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I would get this from Wendy's (as of 2 days ago - just joined this site) every other day for dinner:

Asiago Ranch Chicken club value meal: 1160 calories

That would now leave me with about 200 calories to split between bkfast and lunch. Can't believe it!
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    BUMP