The retrospective: 'I can't believe I used to eat that'

Options

Replies

• Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    For me it was the cheap cider. I would easily drink 2000 calories worth of Strongbow in a weekend. Ugh.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Arbys.. YUMMMY!

However...I can't believe the amount of food that I could eat in one sitting.

Med Roast beef sand, lg curly fries, 4 pc mozz stics, reg choc shake..

Nutrition Facts
    2100 Calories
    790Calories from Fat
    88Fat - Total (g)
    30 Saturated Fat (g)
    2 Trans Fat (g)
    175 Cholesterol (mg)
    5250 Sodium (mg)
    254Total Carbohydrates (g)
    14Dietary Fiber (g)
    94Sugars (g)
    76Proteins (g)
    20Vitamin A (% DV)
    20Vitamin C (% DV)
    120Calcium (% DV)
    60Iron (% DV)
  • katicasi82
    katicasi82 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Never really ate fast food either - the fat makes me ill, but I would eat cheese, pasta, potatoes and other yummy fattening treats (home made buns etc. and crisps man I love crisps (now I eat them every second week)! To be honest the hardest part of it healthy eating (for me) is not making myself lasagne (or insert other heavy fattening meal) to make myself feel better!
  • charisma103
    Options
    This used to be a typical day for me. Needless to say this doesn't count any snacks inbetween, which I more than likely consumed. YIKES! I always felt awful after eating this, but out of convenience, and just plain laziness this was my routine.

Breakfast - Taco Johns:
    Breakfast Burrito with Bacon - 550 Calories
    Medium Pepsi - 210 Calories
    Total Calories: 760

Lunch - McDonalds:
    Two Plain Cheeseburgers
    Medium Fry
    Medium Coke
    Total Calories: 1,170

Dinner - Wendys:
    Spicy Chicken Sandwich no Mayo
    Medium Fry
    Small Chili
    Medium Coke
    Total Calories: 1,360

Total Fast Food Calories: 3,290

I was nearly eating a pounds worth of calories a day with no exercise!
  • anna0478
    anna0478 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My two favorites:

Zaxby's Chicken Finger Plate with no slaw and extra fries (sometimes 2-3 times per week) and coke zero:
    Chipotle Steak Burrito (white rice, pinto, extra cheese, mild salsa and sour cream) with Chips with Clementine Izze Soda:

Zaxby's | Chipotle
    Cal: 1483 1800
    Fat Cal: 916 670.5
    Fat: 102.5 74.5
    Sat Fat: 14.9 26.5
    Chol: 193.5 170
    Sodium: 4332 2825
    Carb: 141.3 208
    Fiber: 9.7 21
    Sugar: 14.5 38
    Protein: 81 73.5

And let's not forget the drinkable calories:
    Starbucks Cinnamon Dolce Latte Venti, 2% Milk with whip (sometimes 2-3 times per day):

Cal: 410
    Fat Cal: 140
    Fat: 15
    Sat Fat: 9
    Chol: 60
    Sodium: 210
    Carb: 53
    Fiber:
    Sugar: 50
    Protein: 15
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting for three reasons.

One- I think a lot of you might be american as I've never heard of half the things you're eating (I *really* don't want to know what a sausage biscuit is- sounds awful!)

Two- I've never been a big fast food eater myself- I love good, well made home cooked food- just too much of it!

Three- I'm surprised by how LOW some of these calorie counts are coming out, especially the McDonalds stuff- I thought it was much higher!

Anyway, to add my tuppenceworth, I could easily consume cheese for every meal and every part of every meal-i.e
    -baked camenbert for starter
    -fish pie with cheese mash top
    -cheeseboard for dessert.... yumyumyum

But caloriewise- it's awful! I do have to slightly avoid cheese now....
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Chickfila was ...and still is one of my favorites. I obviously make different choices now, but this was my "go to meal."

Chickfila original chicken sandwich
    medium waffle fry
    large sweet tea
    2 packs of regular mayo
    2 packs of polynesian sauce

Total Cal - 1450
    Fat - 68 g
    Cholesterol - 80 mg
    Sodium - 2125 mg
    Fiber - 5 g
    Sugar - 73 g
    Protein - 34 g

My total daily calorie goal NOW is 1570.

This really blows your mind. And for me, at chickfila & many other places, I can't resist the sauces - those REALLY add up!!!!
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Urgh!! I used to go to breakfast and have a double sausage and egg mcmuffin, 2 hash browns and a Latte:

Calories: 1320
    From fat: 680
    total fat: 76g (117%)
    Saturated fat: 26g (128%)
    Trans fat: 1g
    Cholesterol: 340mg (114%)
    Sodium: 2670mg (111%)
    total carbs: 116g (39%)
    Fibre: 7g (28%)
    Sugars: 28g
    Protein: 43g
    Vit A: 860IU (15%)
    Vit C: 3mg (6%)
    Calcium: 690mg (70%)
    Iron 6.5mg (35%)

OMG did i really used to eat that ??
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    I guess this is a bad meal day, but I did have bad days pretty regularly back then, LOL.

My comfort food lunch when I was home sick used to be mac and cheese and hot dogs.

Not so bad, you say? Um, I mean almost the whole box of velveeta shells and cheese with 4 hot dogs cut up in it.

I think I just blushed in embarrassment at admitting that, but hopefully it will feel cathartic later.

ETA: This is just one serving. I'm pretty sure there are 3-4 in a box. Blech.

Amount Per Serving

Calories 507.2

Total Fat 25.6 g

Saturated Fat 9.6 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.6 g

Monounsaturated Fat 6.6 g

Cholesterol 45.2 mg

Sodium 1,401.3 mg

Potassium 58.5 mg

Total Carbohydrate 50.1 g

Dietary Fiber 2.0 g

Sugars 4.7 g

Protein 18.1 g

Vitamin A 4.0 %

Vitamin B-12 12.2 %

Vitamin B-6 1.6 %

Vitamin C 0.0 %

Vitamin D 2.7 %
  • Sloth_TurtleGirl
    Sloth_TurtleGirl Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was thinking of going to Wendy's and pulled out MFP. I always get the #1 thinking I'm making a sensible choice. The #1, with diet coke is 1,000 calories. Umm, I'll have to rethink that. But, Wendys was always my favorite burger place so I'll just need to find a lower calorie option.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options

One- I think a lot of you might be american as I've never heard of half the things you're eating (I *really* don't want to know what a sausage biscuit is- sounds awful!)

Oh, honey...a sausage biscuit is heaven on a plate. Especially if you add sausage gravy to it. Or just mustard. Down here in the south, it's not breakfast unless there is some type of pork fat. And butter. It's been really difficult for me to adjust to eating non-salty-carby stuff like yogurt and oatmeal for breakfast.
  • helenwilliams78
    helenwilliams78 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When I was in 6th form, every friday, I used to come home from school and have an evening meal with my parents. Then I used to go to the pub with friends, drink 4 or 5 pints of ale and always have a McChicken sandwich meal (large) on the way home!

I so should have been bigger than I was!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I was never that into fast food either. I love things like pasta and bread. Naturally, I LOVE olive garden.

Here is what I would get ( no, not an "everyday" kinda thing, but on weekends and such):

salad (probably two servings): 300 20 3 1520 22 4 4
    AT LEAST 2 Breadsticks with garlic-butter spread 280 4 0 740 52 4 10
    steak gorgonzola 1310 73 41 2190 82 9 81

All in all, that comes to: 1890 calories...plus all the other stuff.
    yuck.

If you truly love pasta & bread, you're doing a disservice to yourself by going to Olive Garden anyway ;)

it tastes good to me.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    While still not eating totally great, it's gotten better. NO more:
    Olive Garden Tour of Italy, mult. breadsticks, 2 servings of salad washed down with plenty of Pepsi.
    Taco Bell $5 Box meal with Pepsi (huge burrito, tacos and ...)
    1/2 Garlic Jims Pizza, whole order of Chicken Bites with a 22oz craft Beer.
    or the "stuff myself until bursting" at Sweet Tomatoes - hey it's salad and soup, how bad can it...oh. Nevermind.

Helps that I've moved somewhere where these places aren't and have worked to not find new replacements. The pizza one gets me the most.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I can't even list what my worst meal was, because I ate so many of them. My boyfriend and I work late and so we often used that as an excuse to stop by Taco Bell, or McDonald's or Five Guys or any number of fast food restaurants on the way home instead of cooking. If we didn't want burgers, we'd go home and order take out from the nearby chicken place--I would eat 8-10 (depending on how 'hungry' i was) whole fried wings, a giant side of french fries with a large coke at LEAST once a week. Other nights of the week it was something just as bad.

Now I look at some of the stuff and see it is really no surprise whatsoever that I got as large as I did. I had no respect for my body and what went in it. Now I can't even imagine eating some of that stuff, and when I do want a little something 'bad' I found that I can only eat a bit of it before I feel ill. Yuck.
  • ckay220
    ckay220 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Okay so I'm really just starting with MFP but I know the sandwich I used to alwaysssssssss get from Subway, like that was the only thing that I ever got, I didn't get this time!

6" (Sometimes 12") Chicken Bacon Ranch, toasted with American cheese on Italian with lettuce, onions, banana peppers, green peppers, cucumbers, mayo, honey mustard, ranch, vinegar & oil!

Yeah, It's a lot...the 12" ran me 970 calories and 2,190 mg of sodium!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Two- I've never been a big fast food eater myself- I love good, well made home cooked food- just too much of it!

Three- I'm surprised by how LOW some of these calorie counts are coming out, especially the McDonalds stuff- I thought it was much higher!

Anyway, to add my tuppenceworth, I could easily consume cheese for every meal and every part of every meal-i.e
    -baked camenbert for starter
    -fish pie with cheese mash top
    -cheeseboard for dessert.... yumyumyum

But caloriewise- it's awful! I do have to slightly avoid cheese now....

McDonald's has been the main fast food joint to really try and change their cooking practices, sizes, content, etc. (mostly because they are always get the bad press, and were the first to get the bad press!).

What's interesting to me is how, while fast food is bad, you're right... calories could be much higher. It's everyone eating two to three meals at the fast food places which gets it (plus full calorie pop... all pop is bad, but the full calorie is awful!).
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    For the last year before mfp,this was my breakfast daily

3-4 egg mcmuffins
    Hash browns
    Oj
    And a pint of ben and jerrys mint chocolate cookie for 'dessert'. Why i thought i needed dessert at ten am is anyones guess.

No wonder i hit 262 lbs. thats around 2500 cals just for breakfast.
  • jmagdalena707
    jmagdalena707 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My 2 faves were Taco Bell and Wendy's. I would get:

Steak Taco Salad- 720cals
    Cinnamon Twists- 170cals
    Strawberry Frutista Freeze- 230 cals

Total- 1120cals

or

Asiago Ranch Chicken Club Spicy- 740 cals
    Medium Fries- 420 cals
    Medium Diet Coke (of course)

Total- 1160cals

And all just for lunch. I'm ashamed to say that ate both of these regularly while I was pregnant :embarassed:
  • roxy_dolly
    roxy_dolly Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I genuinely believe if I lived in the US I'd be twice the size I am now! You guys seem to have so much more variety of fast food, and damn, most of it sounds amazing!

In the UK I think we're a bit more limited with resturant/outlet options, but where there's a will there's a way! My blow-out meal was a chinese takeaway...enough for two people and I generally eat the leftovers (if there were any) for breakfast the next day. A typical meal (every week or two) would be:

1/4 crispy duck and pancakes with hoisin sauce
    salt and chilli fried squid
    special fried rice
    shrimp and cashew nuts in yellow bean sauce (cos nuts are 'good' fat right)
    mixed vegetables (to be healthy haha)
    and the entire bag of free prawn crackers.

BLEURGH.

I'm gonna guess WAY over 2,000kcal. I'd also often eat an entire Dominoes large thin crust meat pizza with lots of extra garlic & herb dip...would use almost a whole pot per slice.

Baby weight...yeah right!! And jeez, how much was I spending to destroy my health? Fast food is not cheap!