diet and exercise- little results -what am i doing wrong?

Options
ewokangel
ewokangel Posts: 14 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
broke my ankle so I am only cleared for the stationary bike for the next 9 months. I use resistance as much as my ankle will allow (level 5) and i go for an hour each day (5 days a week-heart rate over 140 bpm). I have panic disorder so i push my heart rate as high as i can without causing a panic attack. I have a pretty clean diet. I am not starving myself and I consume aprox 1200 - 1500 cal a day and it is not a bad junky diet (my step mom was a dietitian so I know how to eat) and YES the food is measured and weighed. I make sure to eat way before my bed time and there is no late night snacking - but it seems that 5 years ago, i could lightly walk for 30 minutes 3 days a week with a crappy diet and weight fell right off. now i am working my buns off on this bike and only lost 4 lbs in over 2 months. I am only 36 and my DR has run every test imaginable to see if there is something wrong. Thyroid and everything that was checked is all fine. does any one have any advice? I am 188 lbs and I am 5'3" I need to get down to 145 lbs or my DR is going to rip me a new one :)

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How's your logging? Are you using a food scale? Do you use the recipe builder for things you make yourself? Log every single thing you eat/drink? If you eat back your exercise calories are you logging those correctly?
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    First, it doesn't matter what time you eat. And you can lose weight on a "bad junky diet" as long as you're eating at a calorie deficit. Of course, this isn't ideal for nutrition or health, but you CAN lose weight.

Anyway....

Are you logging everything you eat and drink?

Are you weighing/measuring all your food?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary might get you more specific advice (if you're comfortable opening it). Otherwise, here are my very general tips:

1. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

2. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

3. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

4. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

5. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

6. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

7. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

8. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If your injury keeps you from moving around as much then your NEAT is going to be lower than the calculators predict. You may need to lower your calories in response or work with your doctor or a registered dietitian to help.
  • ewokangel
    Options
    I log everything and measure or weigh- it does not go into my mouth unless it is logged - per my step mom. she is a strict one :) - i use a food scale, my step mom is a dietitian so she pretty much as everything outlines regarding the food. I dont 'cheat' as i honestly have no appetite since I was recently treated for H pylori. I kind of have to force myself to eat the bare minimum of 1200 calories a day. I only weigh myself on sundays.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Four pounds is still four pounds and that's GOOD.

No, I don't know what you're doing wrong. A lot of people find that weighing the food comes in very handy when trying to get the best possible estimate. You might try weighing your food. I bet you'd be surprised by some of the calorie counts when you weigh. Some are lower than I'd thought. Many are higher. Some are MUCH higher. It's not the worst idea, even if it seems like a lot of work.

Some people use jawbones and fitbits and swear by them. I don't and cannot go into any detail, but they work for many.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    How is your water intake?
  • LittleLittleFi
    LittleLittleFi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me ! I tried to cut calories with excercise for five months but no weight lost until I started to cut out all alcohol and refine sugar in the diet, I lost 3 kg in two weeks. Now I know its not the total calories intake but the type of food I consumed.
  • ewokangel
    Options
    How is your water intake?

over 1 gallon a day. I drink infused water too. Lemon, cucumbers and Mint just to change the taste.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me ! I tried to cut calories with excercise for five months but no weight lost until I started to cut out all alcohol and refine sugar in the diet, I lost 3 kg in two weeks. Now I know its not the total calories intake but the type of food I consumed.

This is utterly false. If you lost weight after cutting out alcohol and refined sugar, it's because you reduced your overall calorie intake.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Nope!

When you tried to cut calories thru exercise how were you measuring calorie burns? When you tried to cut calories thru exercise how was your food logging & measuring? The mistake many people make is assuming (inflated) calorie burns....and then eating too much.

Cutting out food groups & elimination diets "work" because you are not replacing those foods with something else. So you are in fact eating at a deficit. But you could choose to cut out all fat (just an example)....and lose weight.

It's the deficit.....not the type of food you eat.

The problem with elimination diets.....you get to maintenance and say "now what?"
  • ewokangel
    Options

I don't drink alcohol often and I am not a 'sweets' person. I don't even like sugar in my coffee. That is awesome that you were able to lose that much just by that simple change.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP if you are not losing you are not in a deficit. Do you weigh ALL solid foods and measure liquids only?!? You can eat "clean", whatever that means, but if you are not in a deficit you will not lose weight.
  • ewokangel
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    OP if you are not losing you are not in a deficit. Do you weigh ALL solid foods and measure liquids only?!? You can eat "clean", whatever that means, but if you are not in a deficit you will not lose weight.

I do eat a deficit. That is why I am at a loss as to why the weight is taking forever to shed
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    ewokangel wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »

I do eat a deficit. That is why I am at a loss as to why the weight is taking forever to shed

If you were eating at a deficit, you'd be losing weight.
  • ewokangel
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I am looking for anyone who has gone through or knows anyone who went through this type of issue and is able to tell me if there is some other specific medical issue I should be looking at. or perhaps I need to increase my bike time to 2 hours? I just worry about doing too much biking. my last trainer said 2 hours is too much
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You are eating too much.

You are eating significantly more than you claim. Find out why, and fix it, and you will lose. It is guaranteed.
  • emmalpoppy
    emmalpoppy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As someone with hypothyroid and hashimotos on top of that just because a doctor says your thyroid is fine does not mean it is. And with this wonderful disease it is possible to gain weight in a calorie deficit. Not all doctors are created equal and unless they did the whole battery of tests that are required for thyroid function there is no way to say for certain it is functioning properly. An endocrinologist can help you better with this but again not all are created equal.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar place, and I found that while I thought I was logging accurately, I really wasn't. I measured some of my food with measuring cups, which isn't very accurate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

I also was just estimating portions for a lot of things as well, and here's a good video on why that doesn't work:
    https://youtu.be/vjKPIcI51lU

There are also some very wrong entries in the database; it's a problem because the entries can be user entered. I try using USDA choice or verify from another source before selecting the entries I typically use.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    emmalpoppy wrote: »
    As someone with hypothyroid and hashimotos on top of that just because a doctor says your thyroid is fine does not mean it is. And with this wonderful disease it is possible to gain weight in a calorie deficit. Not all doctors are created equal and unless they did the whole battery of tests that are required for thyroid function there is no way to say for certain it is functioning properly. An endocrinologist can help you better with this but again not all are created equal.

Those conditions can make it more challenging to reach a deficit, but neither one will allow the body to store energy when one is at a deficit.
  • ewokangel
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I was in a similar place, and I found that while I thought I was logging accurately, I really wasn't. I measured some of my food with measuring cups, which isn't very accurate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

I also was just estimating portions for a lot of things as well, and here's a good video on why that doesn't work:
    https://youtu.be/vjKPIcI51lU

There are also some very wrong entries in the database; it's a problem because the entries can be user entered. I try using USDA choice or verify from another source before selecting the entries I typically use.

I use a scale and weigh the food. to me that has always been more accurate.