diet and exercise- little results -what am i doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• ewokangel
    ewokangel Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    emmalpoppy wrote: »
    As someone with hypothyroid and hashimotos on top of that just because a doctor says your thyroid is fine does not mean it is. And with this wonderful disease it is possible to gain weight in a calorie deficit. Not all doctors are created equal and unless they did the whole battery of tests that are required for thyroid function there is no way to say for certain it is functioning properly. An endocrinologist can help you better with this but again not all are created equal.

Thanks for that. I will definitely look into these conditions. thank you!
  • emmalpoppy
    emmalpoppy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It is entirely possible to eat at a deficit but still gain weight or not lose with hashimotos.
  • csteuter
    csteuter Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You could have an insulin problem -- get your A1C tested. If you are insulin resistant, you could be having some real problems shedding weight. I know because I was tested and still deal with this problem. It's not always as simple as "you're not eating at a deficit". One other thing ... be sure to eat some breakfast. IT DOES MATTER. This is a major struggle for me, but getting your metabolism and insulin working correctly makes a big difference. I'm not full of it .. I've been to 3 separate doctors for 3 "other" things, and they have all told me the same thing. I think someone who has been to medical school generally knows what they are talking about. And yet, I am stubborn because I don't like breakfast. It really does matter when you eat, in addition to what you are eating. I could never cut carbs completely, but if you are overloading on carbs (as I do sometimes) and you have insulin problems ... well, that could also be a culprit. Best wishes to you.
  • pug11
    pug11 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I broke my heel and tore the Achilles tendon last year so I feel for you! You don't need to increase your bike time, as others have said it all comes down to a deficit.

I wouldn't even be biking for an hour 5 times a week but that's just me.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It is entirely possible to eat at a deficit but still gain weight or not lose with hashimotos.

lolwut?

So ... no actual understanding of the meaning of the term "deficit", then, right.
  • ewokangel
    Options
    csteuter wrote: »
    You could have an insulin problem -- get your A1C tested. If you are insulin resistant, you could be having some real problems shedding weight. I know because I was tested and still deal with this problem. It's not always as simple as "you're not eating at a deficit". One other thing ... be sure to eat some breakfast. IT DOES MATTER. This is a major struggle for me, but getting your metabolism and insulin working correctly makes a big difference. I'm not full of it .. I've been to 3 separate doctors for 3 "other" things, and they have all told me the same thing. I think someone who has been to medical school generally knows what they are talking about. And yet, I am stubborn because I don't like breakfast. It really does matter when you eat, in addition to what you are eating. I could never cut carbs completely, but if you are overloading on carbs (as I do sometimes) and you have insulin problems ... well, that could also be a culprit. Best wishes to you.

thanks for this. I have my insulin tested once a year. (i am a bit paranoid so I like to get this checked yearly) and I hate breakfast too, but it must be eaten. I learned that early on when I was training for miss fitness in my early 20's :) my trainers would kick my butt if i did not have my breakfast! :) thanks again for the response.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Why not add an upper body strength routine?
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options

lolwut?

There is no condition that creates a caloric surplus without food intake to support it.
  • ewokangel
    Options
    I really could use some advice regarding my workout.......I have a broken ankle that is still healing .... should i increase to 2 hours? I cant add too much resistance. My former trainers say don't add more time... but I am looking for a 3rd opinion.....
  • ewokangel
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »

bad arthritis in my wrists. I love lifting weights, but my wrists have never been able to handle heavy weights. so very low weight and high rep is what i do. However, all of my fat is in my hips and thighs. (i am hispanic - so we tend to pack on the pounds where the jeans are) so I am trying to work my lower body and get some results while having a broken ankle....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You could be due for a woosh. Is your period due soon?
  • _benjammin
    Options
    ewokangel wrote: »
    I really could use some advice regarding my workout.......I have a broken ankle that is still healing .... should i increase to 2 hours? I cant add too much resistance. My former trainers say don't add more time... but I am looking for a 3rd opinion.....
    Bench press, rows, shoulder press, back hypers, bis, tris, leg extensions, leg curls, yoga
  • ewokangel
    Options
    Bench press, rows, shoulder press, back hypers, bis, tris, leg extensions, leg curls, yoga

I have a broken ankle.........
  • ewokangel
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You could be due for a woosh. Is your period due soon?

already had it. I have a 2 day period and I only gain and drop a pound during that time of the month.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

You should open your diary.

That's step 1.
  • ewokangel
    Options
    My doctor as not cleared me for anything but the bike... I can not lift weights or do any extensions or anything like that as my fibula is broken at my ankle
  • pug11
    pug11 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

This is good advice :)

• _benjammin
    Options

I have a broken ankle.........
    Which is exactly why I listed the exercises I did. None of them require any ankle mobility or pressure except maybe the yoga. I assumed you have some sort of ankle brace or cast and yoga may be an option. If you are riding a bike you can do all the weight lifting exercises listed.
  • TRC64
    TRC64 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Two things jump out at me:

(1) You say you consume "aprox 1200 - 1500 cal a day" but then you also say that you "kind of have to force myself to eat the bare minimum of 1200 calories a day." These conflicting statements indicate that you don't really know how much you are consuming. Try choosing a daily number (say 1400 cal/day) and try to stick as close as possible to that number for a few weeks. Then check your results.

(2) You're doing a lot of intense cardio, which has probably resulted in some water weight gain. Try dialing it down a bit, to only three days a week, so your body has some time to recoup between sessions. There are other benefits to exercise, but it's ultimately your diet that will result in weight loss.

Also, when I was doing Weight Watchers (switched to MFP because $) we were told that average weight loss varies between .5 to 2 lbs per week. Obviously, everyone always wants to be on the 2 lb end of the scale, lol, but your weight loss is still right on track, albeit at the lower end.