Eat/Use this instead of that - GIVE US A TIP

Options

Replies

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Almond milk in protein shakes. Dunno why, just tastes better to me. If I need more calories, I'll add PB instead of the whole milk I used before.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I use whole what pita bread & bake them instead of tortilla chips when ever I eat guacamole. Much less fat, healthier & u get more volume

Much less fat as a benefit, while eating guacamole, made me chuckle.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Airpopped popcorn has been a staple for me. Add some stevia, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt and you have a great voluminous treat.

Plain Greek yogurt with the right amount of protein powder can be a like a mousse or cheese cake.

Blended avocado with protein powder, ice cubes and almond milk and you can get a soft serve ice cream.

Cauliflower grated to make rice, Alfredo sauce, crust and baked fries.
  • MissElectricEyeliner
    MissElectricEyeliner Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Fit n Active Rice Snacks in cheddar (bought at Aldi) instead of chips.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Instead of bread when making a sandwich you can just use a lettuce leaf. Instead of a tortilla use a cabbage leaf. You can also try kale, swiss chard or collard greens too. Try sprouting your own seeds instead of buying sprouts ( if you eat them). The seeds are super cheap and make lots of food. Very nutritious too. I use xylitol now instead of other sweeteners. Very low calorie and no carbs. It is natural too and prevents tooth decay. Stevia is another good choice, followed by coconut sugar. Use avocado or hummus in place of mayonnaise. Plain yogurt can be used in place of sour cream. You can use apple cider vinegar for salad dressing. Or if you want something a little more interesting blend together an orange and some chipotle.

Squirt some lemon, lime, or orange juice in plain water if you get bored of just water. When making a smoothie add a handful or spinach, kale or some other green. It makes your smoothie more nutritious and the taste is usually masked by the sweetness.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    xianstoi wrote: »
    Hi, please share with us what you eat and what you put in your food.

For example:
    I eat sweet potatoes instead of ordinary potatoes. Benefit - more fiber
    I use chili instead of salt. You won't be bothered with the bland taste.

Eat brown rice instead of white rice, it has more fiber.
    Use more spices instead of salt, to enhance the taste without too much sodium.

Eat whole grains like rice or corn instead of bread. Bread is higher in sodium and sugar.

I have eaten brown rice instead of white rice for years but just recently switched back to white. Brown rice is more likely to have arsenic. Here is a link (note: this is just the first site I came across when googling. If you don't believe the site to be reliable just google, there are lots more.)

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/01/how-much-arsenic-is-in-your-rice/index.htm

You do know like almost all veggies and fruits have some level of arsenic in them? Arsenic is naturally found in the water and ground that most crops are grown in. Those kind of articles are a little misleading. In the state of CA they make them label anything that has lead, arsenic etc and people freak out. They state it because nearly every crop contains it but it is way below harmful levels. People never do the right research though and are ignorant to the fact that crops are grown in water and soil that naturally has these chemicals in them.

EDIT: That articles seems to be a good one. It educates the people on how natural the arsenic is. Which is something lots of articles don't do and cause a public panic.
  • brimin101
    brimin101 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I changed from boneless skinless chicken breasts to boneless skinless chicken thighs, much more flavor, 2g fat increase and exactly the same amount of protein and best of all it's nearly impossible to overcook.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    brimin101 wrote: »
    I changed from boneless skinless chicken breasts to boneless skinless chicken thighs, much more flavor, 2g fat increase and exactly the same amount of protein and best of all it's nearly impossible to overcook.

We must not be using the same stuff...

Chicken thighs have 19g of protein for 4 ounces. Chicken breasts have 25g. It varies a bit depending on the brand but even the USDA shows 4g less or so for thighs.
  • derekspiewak
    derekspiewak Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    * Mustard in place of salad dressing. One of the best transitions I ever made.
    * Take half the salt out of any recipe, replace it with something tart like vinegar or lime juice.
    * Water instead of snacking.
    * Cabbage instead of iceberg lettuce.
    * Herbs and spices instead of cheese. I'm an American, our cheese doesn't even have any flavor to it and I don't miss it when it's not there. I will notice right away if it lacks flavor. I feel sorry for people who don't appreciate hot chiles, cumin, coriander, cardamom, basil, black pepper, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, rosemary, sage...
  • brimin101
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

We must not be using the same stuff...

Chicken thighs have 19g of protein for 4 ounces. Chicken breasts have 25g. It varies a bit depending on the brand but even the USDA shows 4g less or so for thighs.

The one brand I buy has 22g protein for 4 ounces, and the chicken breast is around that. I like beef better so I eat that mostly.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I eat cake instead of carrots...just because it tastes good. :)

Yep, this.

If I want it I will eat it. :D
  • pussingtonp
    pussingtonp Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Some easy ones that actually taste the same as the not too healthy alternatives:

- Use ground turkey in place of ground beef in pasta meat sauce or tacos
    - Another taco one, use 1/2 the amount of meat you usually would and add 1 can of black beans
    - Drink fizzy water with fruit in it instead of pop. Soda stream + frozen lime quarters is the best!!
    - Boil meat instead of frying. For example when making tacos - when browning the ground turkey, cook it in a cup of water and spices until the water evaporates. Same goes when cooking chicken breasts or turkey burgers, tastes great and you don't add any oil from cooking.
    - Trade out coconut or almond (unsweetened) milk instead of Cows milk.
    - Air Popped Popcorn - I love my air popper, I eat mine with a spray of Balsamic Vinegar on it . MMMMM.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Fiber gourmet pasta instead of regular - half the calories, high fiber
    Lean meats instead of fatty - leaves more fat calories for other things
    Low/non-fat dairy instead of full fat - leaves more fat calories for other things
    homemade instead of premade - better taste, bigger portions
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I use whole wheat pita bread & bake them instead of tortilla chips when ever I eat guacamole. Much less fat, healthier & u get more volume. I also never cook with oil or butter, I use cooking spray to elimate calories & fat. When I make pancakes I just use oat or wheat flour with a little bit of almond milk & banana. So I don't have to use an egg or oil which are both high in fat & it decreases calories.

You will eat pita bread, but not eggs? That pita probably has about the same fat as an egg. But maybe you're vegan...
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options

not the same protein count
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much the same as always, just less of it.

I guess the one thing i've replaced, is for sandwiches, instead of whole-wheat or multi-grain bread, I buy protein bread. If i'm going to eat bread, i'd rather get the 17-18g protein that comes in the protein version.
  • brimin101
    Options
    aledba wrote: »

not the same protein count

Ok, negligible protein difference. We really like to focus on the wrong things. Really what's 5g per day, it's not going to affect anything as far as weight loss goes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    I use whole what pita bread & bake them instead of tortilla chips when ever I eat guacamole. Much less fat, healthier & u get more volume

Much less fat as a benefit, while eating guacamole, made me chuckle.

Baked pita bread and guacamole has less fat than fried tortilla chips and guacamole. What's funny about that?
  • sodapop22
    sodapop22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Add chopped up onions and mushrooms to rice and couscous. Gives lower calorie per portion and increase vitamin D.
    Grill veggies and blend in food processor to a fine grind consistency and freeze to add to most sauces at a later time.
    Shredded chicken can be flavored to taste like most main dishes and put on a bed of lettuce. Taco salad, sweet chili chicken salad, greek style chicken salad with chopped artichoke hearts and green olives with feta, grilled chicken and grilled peach/apricot tossed with balsamic vinegar over some baby greens, etc.
  • derekspiewak
    derekspiewak Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Find a low-sodium spicy salsa with no added sugar and put it on EVERYTHING. I use it as my main sauce on chicken, eggs, salads, whatever. It's like food magic...makes everything better and adds almost no calories.