How did you meet your significant other?

Options

Replies

• NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    He was the cook at the restaurant I started waitressing at in college. Neither of us liked each other until we were put on the same overnight schedules. Lots of time to talk without customers and we got to look deeper than initial outward appearances/prejudices. Lots of ups and downs, but in August, we will be married 18 years.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I added him on MySpace (back in the day) thinking he was someone else from my college. We got on really well, exchanged numbers, and met a week later. Now we live together and have been together for 5 years :smooched:
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I met him online, playing Everquest. It was when LDoN first came out and we grouped together for some dungeons. I thought he was a female for the first 6 months that we played together. I never asked, he played a female toon. He lived in Manhattan, I lived in Podunk Arkansas. We finally discovered that we were opposite sex and started talking 70+ hours a month on our cells. We spent even more time than that on Teamspeak and Ventrilo! I flew up to meet him in July of 2004. We spent the next 5 months flying back and forth until I finally flew (one way) to NYC in December of 2004. We were married 12/28/2004 and have been happily gaming ever since! :bigsmile:

Yes! Gamer love! This is my favorite story in this thread thus far! <3
    & freaking congrats on the 100+ pounds loss!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    www.alt.com :devil: six years ago.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Met in a bar... I was not looking for anything...my hair a mess, no make up... was actually kind of pissed that night.. he comes over, a bit tipsy, tryin to pick me up by sayin he just got back from Iraq (really Kuwait). Tell ya, he did NOT impress me w/ his dancing skills, :laugh: !! But we've been together for 5 years, married for 2 :smile:
    '

HAHA!! this sounds remarkably familiar! (You kno its for real when i guy hits on you with no makeup, sweaty at a bar...somewhat drunk. And if he still likes you in the morning with a puffy hungover face...Marry him LOL!)
  • 2vayla
    2vayla Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    At work...he duped me...I was new, he said some co-workers were going to meet at a bar for drinks; come to find out he was the co-worker...but lucky me...love of my life for 3.5 years!!
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I met my significant other at a Health Club 16 years ago.
  • peachfigs
    Options
    AOL Chat. Super old school. So old school that we were considered weird for meeting online. Now, it's normal.

That's so cool!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Online (POF)
    We are now engaged & live together :smile:

same here :heart:

Almost the same here except we are now married and have been for 4 years this Sept. :heart:
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    In our apartment building's elevator. My dog tried to eat his dinner and apparently within 5 floors I gave an awesome elevator speech!
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    In real life? At the airport! The international terminal. True story.
  • peachfigs
    Options
    We met on one of those Chat lines. Ironically, it was the last time either of us planned to call it because the "chat" part was ever decreasing. I loved his voice and we talked for hours. He lived near LA and I was in San Diego at the time so we had "phone dates" for a couple of months. The first time we met it was like an episode of Blind Date. He came down to SD and we took the Trolley downtown to my favorite martini bar. I was so nervous I had us get off on on the wrong stop and we walked hand in hand to the restaurant. He looked like a happy puppy the whole night and I knew he was the One. We got engaged on my 40th birthday. Due to a move cross country move we put off the wedding plans and he came with me. We married a few years later. We were together a total of 8 years when he passed at 44 in 2009. God, how I miss him.

*hug* :flowerforyou:
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    We met on one of those Chat lines. Ironically, it was the last time either of us planned to call it because the "chat" part was ever decreasing. I loved his voice and we talked for hours. He lived near LA and I was in San Diego at the time so we had "phone dates" for a couple of months. The first time we met it was like an episode of Blind Date. He came down to SD and we took the Trolley downtown to my favorite martini bar. I was so nervous I had us get off on on the wrong stop and we walked hand in hand to the restaurant. He looked like a happy puppy the whole night and I knew he was the One. We got engaged on my 40th birthday. Due to a move cross country move we put off the wedding plans and he came with me. We married a few years later. We were together a total of 8 years when he passed at 44 in 2009. God, how I miss him.

*hug* :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I had applied and been accepted to my first choice college, so I went to stay over for a night with a student, to go to classes and experience college life. They do this as part of the student's decision (but I was already confirmed to go). I was eating lunch on the balcony of the student dining halls. He ran in to the room (I was sitting with his friends) and he said, "Does anyone want to go white river rafting?" And I thought in my head that I was going to marry him. We were friends for two years before we dated (that was by my choice...it's a long story, but I was young and had trust issues that I needed to work out because of my abusive childhood). That was 17 years ago.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Met mine SO 19 years ago in a nightclub in Tenerife ( holiday romance) I was in a relationship at the time but when we got back home we wrote for 3 years before deciding to meet back up again, this time I was single he was engaged but not in a good relationship, well when we met back up it was like we were meant for each other, he was in Wales, me England, we had a long distance relationship for 9 months until we moved in together, we are happily married and about to celebrate our 14th anniversary.
    Who says holiday romances don't work ????
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    My husband met me for the first time in ballet class. I was the ballet student. He got dared to take a class by a girl he was friends with after making some jokes about how ballet dancing is easy. He came to class to prove his point. It just happened to be a stretch class... Needless to say he was surrounded by girls all bending in half and chit chatting while he moaned in pain. He says it was mind blowing and he was fascinated by me. (I am thinking it was more the positions I was in that fascinated him.)

That was when I was in 6th grade and he was in 5th. Move forward to us in high school. I was a junior and he was a sophmore. I choreographed a musical he was in and after the last performance we all went to a cast party. I waited till he went outside to smoke and met him outside with a big wet kiss. We've been together ever since. Two decades together and 12 years married.
  • MizVandyk
    MizVandyk Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Best friends since we were 15..never dated in HS started dating when we were 22 married when we were 25, celebrating our 6th anniversary this winter :heart:
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    POF. Fate had been trying to get us together for a while I think. We worked at the same place, but never connected even though I had a lot of interaction with his supervisor. He now works for a good friend of my boss's and their work is located in the same building as my boss's wife.

We have been dating just over a year and are moving in together this weekend. :heart: :happy:
  • LadyElby
    LadyElby Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have loved reading all the responses to this thread! How awesome is it to read everyone's wonderful fairy tale stories!!!

After finally ending a pretty unhealthy 3 1/2 year relationship with a guy I had known from high school, I had dated around quite a bit; people I knew through friends, as well as on POF and OKCupid. For the longest time it was really just to meet some new people, I really didn't have much faith, nor was I positive I was ready for a serious relationship again. But he messaged me with the one liner that I've pretty much always hated getting, and most of the time declined to respond to: "Hey, how's it going?" His picture was cute though, so I decided to give it a shot and just look through his profile. As I read through it, I found things that I could relate to, he lived pretty close to me, and seemed okay, so I messaged him back. His next message was much better, about 3 paragraphs long. We wrote back and forth for the entirety of our Thanksgiving evenings. A few days later, we had our first phone date, talked for 3 hours. December 1st we had our first date, which was just supposed to be dinner, and ended up lasting until about 2am, including dinner, drinks, a long walk, and lots and lots of talking. From then on, it's been him and me.

A year and a half later, we've been living together 2 months now, and talking future. We've had, and still have many roadblocks, including bad jobs, tough schedules and not seeing each other for days at a time (even though we live together), mutual friends breaking up; cheating on each other etc. But through it all, he's my best friend :)
  • afronigga6
    Options
    I met mine at a furniture store. I've been sleeping on her every night for the past 5 years. <3