2 weeks wheat free!

Options
Hi everyone!

I am sure this topic has been beaten to death, so I'll try to explain as best I can. I want to try going wheat free for at least 2 weeks, just to see what changes I feel in my body. Internally. I have had stomach issues for as long as I can remember. Bloaty, crampy, nauseous, and just really icky feeling, especially in the morning or after I eat bread, pasta, etc.

I haven't been tested or anything, and this definitely isn't a get thin quick plan, I just really want to know if it is the carbs/wheat that is making my stomach act up. I've tried probiotic meds and that just made me feel worse.

Has anyone done this for a short amount of time and seen results? I know that this will not be a life style change, because I know there is no way I can not eat bread or pasta or oatmeal and all of the things they say you shouldn't eat.

I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Tiff1124 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I am sure this topic has been beaten to death, so I'll try to explain as best I can. I want to try going wheat free for at least 2 weeks, just to see what changes I feel in my body. Internally. I have had stomach issues for as long as I can remember. Bloaty, crampy, nauseous, and just really icky feeling, especially in the morning or after I eat bread, pasta, etc.

I haven't been tested or anything, and this definitely isn't a get thin quick plan, I just really want to know if it is the carbs/wheat that is making my stomach act up. I've tried probiotic meds and that just made me feel worse.

Has anyone done this for a short amount of time and seen results? I know that this will not be a life style change, because I know there is no way I can not eat bread or pasta or oatmeal and all of the things they say you shouldn't eat.

Who's "they"?

Have you felt a relief from symptoms? If so, it's likely something you eliminated was causing some sensitivity. After a while, reintroduce things one at a time. Maybe start with oats or barley, and see if they cause issues when you reintroduce them.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking if you aren't willing to give up the foods long term, why bother?

If you want to know if wheat/gluten/whatever is causing your symptoms, I would give it at least a month before reintroducing. I have been wheat free for almost 2 years and it took about 4-6 weeks for me to notice that all of my allergy symptoms were gone. if you feel significantly better without wheat, you may be surprised what ypu don't miss anymore and you may make the lifestyle change in order to keep feeling well
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I haven't started yet, just wanted a bit of feedback first. In "they" I was referring to the people that I've talked to that have done either the wheat belly diet, or one of those other fads. I have no interest in that, just want to see if it's worth it to try limiting or cutting out breads, pasta, etc to see if it makes me feel better.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    klrenn wrote: »
    I'm thinking if you aren't willing to give up the foods long term, why bother?

This.

I don't understand why people do this, unless they were diagnosed with a wheat allergy, or celiac.
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Well I haven't been diagnosed with anything, all I know is I want this nasty bloat/icky feeling to go away, and if it comes up more from eating wheat based food, then I want to at least try to see if that's the cause.

I don't understand why people who comment have to be so belittling.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    There is such an insignificant amount of the population that legitimately have gluten intolerance or allergies... I think that a lot of adults develop it because they jump on the wheat free diet, that when they start bringing it back into their diet, their bodies can't tolerate it like they should. Go get tested and see what your issues are. It could be something very very simple.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I haven't started yet, just wanted a bit of feedback first. In "they" I was referring to the people that I've talked to that have done either the wheat belly diet, or one of those other fads. I have no interest in that, just want to see if it's worth it to try limiting or cutting out breads, pasta, etc to see if it makes me feel better.

You're right that the Wheat Belly diet and fad diets like it are not worth your time. There's no harm in limiting starchy carbs like breads and pasta to see if you like eating that way. You'll be naturally displacing those calories with other things, and if you enjoy it that's great.

Keep in mind there's a placebo effect that happens with many people who make dietary changes, so how you feel is entirely subjective. But if you've been having digestive issues it may be worth asking your doctor to see if you have celiac disease or something else that could be addressed by specific dietary changes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I have problems with bread made from flour but not bread made from sprouted grains from companies like Food for Life or Alvarado St Bakery. That's a quick and painless change you could make.

I believe @Kalikel has problems with white flour bread and pasta but not wheat - that's another simple test.

But sure, you could do the elimination test. There's probably a gluten-free group here that would have good info.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you want to be tested, you have to be eating wheat -- so it is good to get tested before you give it up.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I have problems with bread made from flour but not bread made from sprouted grains from companies like Food for Life or Alvarado St Bakery. That's a quick and painless change you could make.

I believe @Kalikel has problems with white flour bread and pasta but not wheat - that's another simple test.

But sure, you could do the elimination test. There's probably a gluten-free group here that would have good info.

My issue was cravings, not illness. Technically, according to the tests, I was allergic to it, but I eat wheat all the time. I haven't gone to an allergist in forever. The tests were done for no good reason and while they confirmed allergies I already knew I had, they picked up allergies to things I have no problem with and continue to eat to this day.

I make my own wheat bread because I hate the cravings that come with eating white and I don't like store-bought wheat breads. Home-made is healthier, tastes better and smells good while it bakes. :)

I do bloat a bit with pasta, but that goes for white and wheat.

OP, if you want to know if you're allergic or whatever, you have to see a doctor. I wish I could help, but can't. You're not alone, though. I've seen people post about this before. :)
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I am gluten intolerant myself (yes diagnosed) and I suggest the following, keep a food diary for several weeks and note down everything you eat with ingredients and log your symptoms, both with the exact times i.e. when you eat and when your symptoms occur, then look for correlations and eliminate from your diet one by one till you are symptom free, then do the reverse, every 2 weeks or so introduce one of your eliminated things back into your diet and see if you react. However, if you wish to be tested for Celiac Disease for example you need to continue eating gluten for the blood test to be reliable, and then probably demand further testing as it often still does not pick up the issue. Your GP can also send you for allergy testing ( I would not trust the high street allergy people) or if you are intolerant, the food diary and the elimination diet should get to the bottom of the issue. It all depends on which road you want to take. You can still eat bread/pasta etc if cutting out wheat/gluten, you go for the gluten and wheat free options.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    It is worth mentioning that if you do think that you might have celiac's disease (which is serious and a big deal) then you need to get tested for it. Unfortunately, you need to be eating gluten containing grains regularly for the test to be accurate (if they do the antibody test).

I gave up gluten almost 4 years ago because I had horrible stomach pain after eating it that was just getting worse. I picked all the major food allergens and gave them up one at a time for a month. It was easy to know which one was giving me problems, within a week I felt better.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Well I haven't been diagnosed with anything, all I know is I want this nasty bloat/icky feeling to go away, and if it comes up more from eating wheat based food, then I want to at least try to see if that's the cause.

I think you should consider getting tested for celiac disease before changing your diet. In order for celiac tests to be accurate, one must be consuming gluten (equivalent to about 1-2 slices of bread per day) in the 8-12 weeks prior to testing. Some celiacs try going gluten free first and then have a horrible time reintroducing gluten for 2 to 3 months just to get a diagnosis. You might as well test first, and then try the GF diet.

In case you are interested, the tests to look for are:
    tTG IgA and tTG IgG (tissue transglutaminase)
    DGP IgA and DGP IgG (deaminated gliadin peptides)
    EMA IgA (endomysial antibodies)
    total serum IgA (a control test)
    AGA IgA and AGA IgG (antigliadin antibodies) - older and less reliable tests largely replaced by the DGP tests

There is also the endoscopic biopsy (6+ samples taken) which only needs2-4 weeks of gluten prior to testing.

The tests can have sensitivities as low as 75% (meaning they miss up to 25% of celiacs) so it is best to get as many tests done as possible.

Also, going wheat free will only help you if you have a wheat allergy, which is more rare than celiac disease. Gluten (gliadin) is the protein found in wheat, barley, rye, spelt, and many other grains. If gluten is your problem, whether it is celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS), you will not feel much better by only going wheat free.

I agree with @klren, that 2 weeks will probably not be long enough for you to tell if wheat or gluten is your problem. You may have a couple of minor issues improve, like bloating after a meal, but most celiacs, and those with NCGS, find they need a good 6 months to see real improvements. I personally had symptom improvements 2 years after going GF.

Good luck!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

Good answer! Wheat Belly is a fad, as is going gluten-free unless you have an actual allergy.

If your problem is just feeling "icky", you almost certainly aren't celiac.

Wheat Belly and fads like it promote the idea that gluten makes you feel bloated, when it really doesn't. Overeating makes you feel bloated.

Are you weighing and logging all your food/drink on MFP? You might find that a calorie-controlled diet makes you feel better. You can also try exercising, for that extra boost of happy hormones.

Good luck!
  • Treasureslide
    Treasureslide Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have dropped wheat because of the unknown seed origin and sprays used in growing and production, Orgains grains are harder for me to source and extremely expensive in NZ, I have not gone gluten free, still eat organic oats and other grains , but I have had significantly less joint pain, no indigestion which i was suffering from nightly, and my head is less foggy! I have no known allergies I do not intend on getting tested, but i saw a difference in the way i was feeling in a week!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I have dropped wheat because of the unknown seed origin and sprays used in growing and production, Orgains grains are harder for me to source and extremely expensive in NZ, I have not gone gluten free, still eat organic oats and other grains , but I have had significantly less joint pain, no indigestion which i was suffering from nightly, and my head is less foggy! I have no known allergies I do not intend on getting tested, but i saw a difference in the way i was feeling in a week!

You do know organic growers still use sprays and chemicals?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone!

There are "they" who will tell you to not eat carbs, not eat sugar, not eat white food, not eat colorings, not eat anything you have not prepared yourself, not eat anything you have not grown or killed yourself, not eat meat, not eat fat and so on. If it is edible, there is someone out there who thinks you are killing yourself by eating it. So, if you have a medical issue, go to a dr to investigate. If you have no medical issues and are still concerned about your nutrition, do your research either by asking a dietitian or looking up reputable medical sources. Because if you listen to everything "they" say on the internet, you will end up not eating anything.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

If you consider you have a food intolerance you should follow a proper elimination programme...this is not how you do it

You go back to very basics then gradually reintroduce foods https://www.allergyuk.org/food-intolerance/identifying-your-food-intolerances
  • Treasureslide
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

You do know organic growers still use sprays and chemicals?

• Treasureslide
    Options
    Generally I would trust that organic growers are not using synthetic insecticides and sustainable growing practices and do not use GMO seed.