Going To The Gym - I Just Don't Feel Like It

Options
For various reasons, I just don't feel like doing my weight training. I know I have to, especially since I have managed to gain a few pounds back over the last few months. It is just so hard to get myself to do it. I just don't enjoy it, plus I have to do it after work when all I want to do is go home.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Yes, especially since it is hot and there aren't usually ACs here. So I'm hot at night, hot when I wake up and hot at work.. It has been miserable!

I suggest finding something that you do like, take a class, change up your routine, make a game of it, find a buddy.. If you are paying all that money for a gym membership you should use it.

Go to the gym and then you will feel better and proud of yourself
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    It is hot here, too, and I hate it. My house is old with not much for insulation. 85 in my bedroom last night and not supposed to be cooler till Monday. Not helping, but at least I have AC at work which I didn't have for many years.

I always do go. I do not give myself the option not to. I just wish it wasn't such a struggle in my mind.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I hate going to the gym pretty much 100% of the time I go to the gym. I never get excited about it and on my best days, I'm only mildly annoyed by working out rather than totally hateful. But it's kind of like going to work. You have to do it or you will face undesirable consequences. I've given up on hoping the gym will become enjoyable, and just go because it's part of my routine.

I know that sounds kind of depressing but it makes it doable, I find.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I was getting bored with the gym so I bought a bike and I'm loving it!!!!!
    I know come winter and really bad weather I'll be back at the gym but for now, I'm really enjoying riding for miles along the waterfront on my bike:-)
    Of course, I still lift weights every other day.
  • MCinBC
    MCinBC Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It is good to have options. I gym, run/bike and walk 6 days a week. If I skip a gym day, will walk longer (as gym is low burning calories, could be replaced by walking). I think what is important is to "do it". Whether it is gym or cardio, as long as you "move it" it is all good. You better break the routine, have options and do different stuff than pushing too much and quit out of exasperation.
  • mcmorrow33
    mcmorrow33 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Try going to an exercise class as an alternative ie. Spinning, Zumba, crossfit etc. The trainer will push you probably more than a gym workout would and you can meet new people and get healthy support and advice :) it works for me!! Xx
  • mikestobbs1
    mikestobbs1 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Everyone feels like that, everyone. The difference between the winners and the loses is that the winners show up regardless of how motivated they are. We don't stop. Ever.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Maybe change up what you're doing at the gym? Up until a few weeks ago I was going to the gym 5-6 days a week. Sometimes it was a struggle getting there, and sometimes I didn't really want to be there, but I always went/stayed and felt great the rest of the day. Anytime I skipped a day I felt lousy all day long.

I think it all comes down to whether you want to change more than you dislike going to the gym. My favorite saying....

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have a partner which helps a lot. We switch off between sets (add weight for him, take it off for me) and chat about things that are going on. I find that on the rare days he can't make it that I'll often choose to skip it myself so I know that if it were just me I wouldn't be nearly as dedicated about it.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    I hate going to the gym pretty much 100% of the time I go to the gym. I never get excited about it and on my best days, I'm only mildly annoyed by working out rather than totally hateful. But it's kind of like going to work. You have to do it or you will face undesirable consequences. I've given up on hoping the gym will become enjoyable, and just go because it's part of my routine.

I know that sounds kind of depressing but it makes it doable, I find.

I'm sorry for you that you feel that way. It's not fun! I've made it part of my routine a long time ago. I guess I'm just SO tired of my routine after all these years.

• arabianhorselover
    Options
    MCinBC wrote: »
    It is good to have options. I gym, run/bike and walk 6 days a week. If I skip a gym day, will walk longer (as gym is low burning calories, could be replaced by walking). I think what is important is to "do it". Whether it is gym or cardio, as long as you "move it" it is all good. You better break the routine, have options and do different stuff than pushing too much and quit out of exasperation.

I should start biking. I do like that - as long as there's no hills!

• arabianhorselover
    Options
    mcmorrow33 wrote: »
    Try going to an exercise class as an alternative ie. Spinning, Zumba, crossfit etc. The trainer will push you probably more than a gym workout would and you can meet new people and get healthy support and advice :) it works for me!! Xx

I did do Zumba for a while, but I have arthritis in my back and shoulder. so it's not the best thing.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Everyone feels like that, everyone. The difference between the winners and the loses is that the winners show up regardless of how motivated they are. We don't stop. Ever.

I've never thought of myself as one of the winners, but maybe I am. I have not been skipping the gym, even though I don't feel like going.

• arabianhorselover
    Options
    Maybe change up what you're doing at the gym? Up until a few weeks ago I was going to the gym 5-6 days a week. Sometimes it was a struggle getting there, and sometimes I didn't really want to be there, but I always went/stayed and felt great the rest of the day. Anytime I skipped a day I felt lousy all day long.

I think it all comes down to whether you want to change more than you dislike going to the gym. My favorite saying....

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."

I like that saying. You are right. It does come down to that.

• arabianhorselover
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I have a partner which helps a lot. We switch off between sets (add weight for him, take it off for me) and chat about things that are going on. I find that on the rare days he can't make it that I'll often choose to skip it myself so I know that if it were just me I wouldn't be nearly as dedicated about it.

Well, going to gym is something my husband would never do, but that doesn't give me an excuse not to go.

• Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for admitting you hate going to the gym. I work with a personal trainer on a set schedule because otherwise, I would definitely blow it off. What motivates me is being young and single...and that no longer applies.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Yes. It is always nice to know you're not the only one!
  • freeza12
    freeza12 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you're not keen to go, then you're probably not enjoying your workout when you DO go, and therefore not pushing yourself as hard as you should?

Maybe try a different exercise. Review your goals, what do you actually want, and do you REALLY want it, or are you just comfortable in saying you do?

Then try something else that will help you get to where you want to be if gym is really not doing it for you.
  • livinfluffy
    livinfluffy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I made a few friends in a class and now when I don't show up I get a text asking if I am ok, it keeps me accountable and I do the same for them. We hate to disappoint each other and miss out on a good chat. Still struggling on motivation for weight training because I couldn't do the strength class they do, it is above my current level.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Everybody has days when they just cant be bothered and the easier option is far more appealing. That's fine, it's human nature to want to do things that are instantly more gratifying and comfortable. However, if in general you really are hating the gym and not enjoying lifting then maybe consider another means of exercise that will give you the results and you don't consider it a massive chore. You ultimately need to enjoy it on some level in order to make it sustainable.