What do you love about your gym?

Options
petitehealth
petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
edited August 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm very curious to know what it is about your gym that makes it great?

For example, I love my small, private gym because it's like a family. We are a tight group who are getting fit together. After spending so much time with these people, you start to make lasting friendships.

Another example, my coworker loves her cross fit gym because the owner sends a survey out to all the members when he is looking to buy/add equipment. He buys the equipment that the most people are interested in using/trying.

How about you?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Nothing other than it's close proximity to my house.
  • petitehealth
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Nothing other than it's close proximity to my house.

haha, at least there's something good about it! ;)
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    The fact it's locally owned in my small city and has good equipment that commercial gyms don't often provide and how quick they are to fix things when they're broken...they don't wait around to have someone come in to fix it, they pretty much fix it themselves..
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Les Mills classes. Though the program director keeps dinking with the schedule. This annoys me greatly

Other than that it's fairly clean and there's a place to take classes and shower afterwards
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I think my main gym is great for a lot of the same reasons you just listed. I just take classes there as it is a personal training facility more than a regular gym. But the members are all very close and encouraging of one another. The classes kick my butt and push me to do things I would not do on my own. And every once in a while some of my fave fitness people come in that I admire. 24 I like because I can go to multiple locations so it's good if I am traveling and they offer cycle classes which I am a fan of. My work gym because that is where I do my lifting. It's a nice facility with upgraded equipment, towel service, cable and 24 hour access.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Everything. Just walking in and smelling the chalk, sweat and iron calms me down. Regardless of whether I'm the only one in there or its packed full the atmosphere and energy is just amazing.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I love that there are very few people that go at 5 a.m. when I do :smiley:
  • anneeett
    anneeett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's cheap. It's my university's gym and for about $150/year you get unlimited access and you can join all the classes they offer (and they have a LOT, with good variety too! martial arts, Zumba, crossfit, dancing etcetc.).
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness, and while I am against so many of their selling points(pizza, bagels, free tanning, etc.) I do like that for the size of the gym, there are tons of cardio equipment, so you're never waiting for a machine, and that it's usually the same with weights. I don't strength train too much(although I do much more now than I did 6mos ago!), but I never see anyone waiting around! And the only other reasons I go is because I only pay $20/mo, and it is in the same plaza as my job, so I really can't have an excuse not to work out(unless it is a holiday). If it wasn't so convenient for me, I would probably go to a different gym...
  • petitehealth
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I miss my 6:00am class (which is currently on hold). It wasn't a big group of people and it knowing that they were expecting me made it easier to get out of bed that early. It's so nice to get a workout in before going to work. But if I don't have people expecting me..I hit snooze until it's too late!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I am a member of the YMCA currently. The one I normally use I like because it's small and close to work. I like the general "Y" because there's like 8 of them here that I can use depending on what I want/where it is and they mostly all have full facilities. My old job had it's own fitness center. It was mostly old people because they did cardiac rehab there. I like old people and they like me, so it worked out.
  • petitehealth
    Options
    Everything. Just walking in and smelling the chalk, sweat and iron calms me down. Regardless of whether I'm the only one in there or its packed full the atmosphere and energy is just amazing.

Sounds awesome. Is it a cross fit gym or other?
  • petitehealth
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Les Mills classes. Though the program director keeps dinking with the schedule. This annoys me greatly

Other than that it's fairly clean and there's a place to take classes and shower afterwards

Yes! I hate it when the owner messes with the schedule or switches up the trainers for classes unexpectedly. A clean gym is also really important to me.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I train at Paramount Sports Complex.
    I enjoy the variety of available possibilities. They have a rock wall, full weight room, cardio theater, resistance circuit, gymnastic area, martial arts room, aerobic room, full gymnasium, trampolines and fitness staff to address every need.

I pay $20 per month with no contract.
    I LOVE IT!
    4hkiyty4csor.jpg

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

Sounds awesome. Is it a cross fit gym or other?

It's a very small powerlifting/Olympic lifting/ athletic strength and conditioning gym.
  • petitehealth
    Options
    I train at Paramount Sports Complex.
    I enjoy the variety of available possibilities. They have a rock wall, full weight room, cardio theater, resistance circuit, gymnastic area, martial arts room, aerobic room, full gymnasium, trampolines and fitness staff to address every need.

very cool, I want to try a rock wall!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I go to the YMCA - so the free childcare. No excuses not to go, not even "I have kids" because I can take them with me. Also, there are 5 locations near me and they are opening a 6th even closer to my house.

Oh, they keep the cardio room nice and cold :) Stuffy, hot gyms are the worst.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I belong to a chain - I like that I can go to any of their locations - even when traveling I can often find a location. They have a good selection of classes and since there are probably 5 or 6 within 30 minutes or so of my house I can usually find a class I like at a time that works for me. One of the reasons I joined was that they had a pool - I've been a member for years and have never been in it. So guess that wasn't as important as I thought it would be.

I also belong to a kickboxing gym. Small gym, great staff, great classes. They have evening classes that fit my schedule perfectly and it is on my way home from work so it works out great.

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I read this to see if maybe I was missing something about my gym(s) :)

I belong to 24 Hour Fitness and I regularly visit 4 locations.
    - One has parking :#:#
    - One is a nice walk up some hills from my house, I visit this one weekends when I don't plan on doing much else.
    - One is sort of dark and intimate, this is the one I like to try new things at and it is also a decent walk from my house, although flat.
    - One is where I started at, plus on weekend mornings it is dead!! Close to work so also a quick stop after work or even at lunch.

Two locations know me by name and I know them by name as well (yes, I know my names shows when check-in but these are the only two the feel comfortable enough that we address each other by name).

Though I have been considering joining one really close to my house during the Fall/Winter months ???
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

+1
    Seeing hard working peeps at the gym motivates me to work harder. Love that about my gym. My gym always invests in a lot of new equipment every year.