Gaining muscle but also gaining fat around legs and hips?

Options
Hey guys! So my goal is to build lean mass muscle and I've been very consistent in hitting my calorie goals. I have been gaining muscle in my arms which is great because before I could fit a wrist watch over my bicep and triceps.

However, I have been noticing my body has gained fat in my hips and legs. Has this happened to any of you? For guys, I hear fat accumulates in the stomach and for women, it goes to the hips, stomach and legs. I've been eating pretty clean but haven't been doing much cardio because I don't want the muscles on my arms and rest of my body to go away.

Should I do more cardio?? And why is it that I am gaining fat on my lower body and my upper body is like shredding fat and my lower body is just not letting the fat go?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You can't gain muscle and not gain fat, it is impossible.

Also, there is no such thing as lean mass, there is just mass.

You can't control where you add muscle or fat,it just happens.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I not inclined to agree with the poster above about his first line. It would seem to me if your calories are correctly matched to your activities and your protein is right, you should be able to gain muscle and not fat, in the same way that when people are cutting they can cut fat and not lose the muscle.

So I am sure its quite difficult to work out the exact right amount of calories and macros to achieve what you want but the perhaps the thing to do is increase your exercise burn so that you don't have any excess calories that can settle on your body as fat.

I do'nt think it would matter what sort of exercise you do. But if you don't want to spend a lot of time on it, then try doing some sprint type exercise ie interval training. Reason being that sprinting burns more calories than slower activities. Its also excellent for increasing your fitness.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    I not inclined to agree with the poster above about his first line. It would seem to me if your calories are correctly matched to your activities and your protein is right, you should be able to gain muscle and not fat, in the same way that when people are cutting they can cut fat and not lose the muscle.

So I am sure its quite difficult to work out the exact right amount of calories and macros to achieve what you want but the perhaps the thing to do is increase your exercise burn so that you don't have any excess calories that can settle on your body as fat.

I do'nt think it would matter what sort of exercise you do. But if you don't want to spend a lot of time on it, then try doing some sprint type exercise ie interval training. Reason being that sprinting burns more calories than slower activities. Its also excellent for increasing your fitness.

Are you just making this all up as you go along?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Out of the advice given so far...go with this^
  • Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Not this.

This

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

listen-more-than-you-speak.png
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

^This. I am the same way OP, when I bulked I mostly gained on my lower body so this is normal.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

^This. I am the same way OP, when I bulked I mostly gained on my lower body so this is normal.

I just want to add that genetics determine where you put on fat.
    Personally I'm a pear shape, so most fat on me goes to my hips. Someome who's an apple shape stores most fat in their belly area.
    No matter how clean you eat, in a bulk you will gain some fat, and genetics deterimines where it goes.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

sorry, but almost everything in your post is wrong.

First - carbs are more important than protein when bulking. Protein is more important during a cut when one wants to preserve existing muscle.

Second - we are in the gaining forum and OP wants to gain weight, but you go and recommend increasing activity to burn off excess calories which would put OP at maintenance. So why are you recommending activity that burns off calories????

Third - Yes, the type of exercise matters when bulking. If you want to take advantage of the insulin spike from increased carbs and excess energy from surplus calories then you should be on a progressive weight lifting program to maximize gains.

• andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

I just want to add that genetics determine where you put on fat.
    Personally I'm a pear shape, so most fat on me goes to my hips. Someome who's an apple shape stores most fat in their belly area.
    No matter how clean you eat, in a bulk you will gain some fat, and genetics deterimines where it goes.

HAhaha "pear shaped" - that is also how I describe myself :P
    Once again we find common ground! XD

OP, I'm on a similar course to yours and I was REALLY depressed over the past couple of days as I noticed an increased influx on top of my belly (where I have some hanging skin from my drastic weight loss). I woke up today, went to the gym...and when I saw myself in the mirror - it was gone.

My guess? Water weight. So don't fret TOO much about it - leave that for when you cut! (At least that's what I keep telling myself! XD)
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! So my goal is to build lean mass muscle and I've been very consistent in hitting my calorie goals. I have been gaining muscle in my arms which is great because before I could fit a wrist watch over my bicep and triceps.

However, I have been noticing my body has gained fat in my hips and legs. Has this happened to any of you? For guys, I hear fat accumulates in the stomach and for women, it goes to the hips, stomach and legs. I've been eating pretty clean but haven't been doing much cardio because I don't want the muscles on my arms and rest of my body to go away.

Should I do more cardio?? And why is it that I am gaining fat on my lower body and my upper body is like shredding fat and my lower body is just not letting the fat go?

Sorry, but genetics are fact. I start to lose my abs as soon as I start bulking, just like every other male. A lot of people here mention that bulking is a mind game, which I think is a very astute observation. More cardio won't help; you just have to accept that some fat gain comes with the muscle gain.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options

I totally do not want to hear this....and too bad...

IT'S TRUE 100%

This is our double edge sword. How big do we want to get given the reality of fat gains along with the muscle?

• pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Are you weight training? Is your strength going up?

If the answer is yes, then cut back on your calories slightly. You may be eating too many calories required for adding lean mass.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    Are you weight training? Is your strength going up?

If the answer is yes, then cut back on your calories slightly. You may be eating too many calories required for adding lean mass.
    It's not possible to naturally add lean mass without some of the gains being fat as well.
    When you gain weight, some is muscle...and some is fat.

No getting around this without PED abuse which is a fast road to ill health and a shortened life.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

No, just no!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I not inclined to agree with the poster above about his first line.

you can be not as inclined as you'd like.

he's still correct.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

he's still correct.
    Right, nature cares not about our platitudes.
    Nature...just is...

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

he's still correct.
    Right, nature cares not about our platitudes.
    Nature...just is...

egggzactly.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Have you actually measured a difference, or just noticed it? I notice my thick thighs more when I get leaner overall. (I notice my arm muscles more too when I get leaner, which isn't necessarily muscle gain). Fat lingers around my hips, butt, and thighs longer than any other place on my body. Still, even though I notice them more, my hip measurement is smaller, and my thigh measurement is stubbornly the same.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    It's not possible to naturally add lean mass without some of the gains being fat as well.
    When you gain weight, some is muscle...and some is fat.

I agree with you, but surely a lower calorie surplus will help minimise fat gain.

Adding surplus calories until you see strength gains in your training, but not going overboard with them.