Gaining muscle but also gaining fat around legs and hips?

Options
2»

Replies

• andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Have you actually measured a difference, or just noticed it? I notice my thick thighs more when I get leaner overall. (I notice my arm muscles more too when I get leaner, which isn't necessarily muscle gain). Fat lingers around my hips, butt, and thighs longer than any other place on my body. Still, even though I notice them more, my hip measurement is smaller, and my thigh measurement is stubbornly the same.

I have a similar issue - I call it the Beyonce effect. As soon as I gain weight - bam - straight to my thighs and then the tummy.
    pbryd wrote: »
    It's not possible to naturally add lean mass without some of the gains being fat as well.
    When you gain weight, some is muscle...and some is fat.

I agree with you, but surely a lower calorie surplus will help minimise fat gain.

Adding surplus calories until you see strength gains in your training, but not going overboard with them.

As we have been saying time and time again YES a slow surplus of calories will minimise fat gains...AND muscle gains. They go together hand in hand.
  • sunkissmarie
    sunkissmarie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I suggest u do more cardio. U will not lose your muscle as long as u keep weight lifting. Maybe about 15 mins of cardio should do it
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It's not possible to naturally add lean mass without some of the gains being fat as well.

I agree with you, but surely a lower calorie surplus will help minimise fat gain.

Adding surplus calories until you see strength gains in your training, but not going overboard with them.
    Diet and training can shift the odds, but again, any natural weight gain will include fat as well as muscle.
    That's life...

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Yes, and you will still gain fat ....
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    For me it's three steps forward, one step back. When I gain weight, I gain strength and muscle, but I also gain fat. And as one progresses, it gets worse. Just reality.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    I not inclined to agree with the poster above about his first line. It would seem to me if your calories are correctly matched to your activities and your protein is right, you should be able to gain muscle and not fat, in the same way that when people are cutting they can cut fat and not lose the muscle.

So I am sure its quite difficult to work out the exact right amount of calories and macros to achieve what you want but the perhaps the thing to do is increase your exercise burn so that you don't have any excess calories that can settle on your body as fat.

I do'nt think it would matter what sort of exercise you do. But if you don't want to spend a lot of time on it, then try doing some sprint type exercise ie interval training. Reason being that sprinting burns more calories than slower activities. Its also excellent for increasing your fitness.
    That's not how physiology works, but hey you're welcome to believe what you want.

To the OP, it works both ways: gain muscle, you'll gain fat. Lose fat, and you'll lose a little muscle too. Where you put on fat more is based on genetics.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• teamwellness9119
    teamwellness9119 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your insightful comments! I haven't really bulked at all in the past, I just did a lot of swimming and martial arts so I would really get "toned". The thing is, I'm not looking to get even more "toned" because I've been pretty skinny with incredibly thin arms throughout my life.

I did not know you gain fat while gaining muscle. I thought it was possible to just gain lean mass muscle and not gain fat in the process.

I just find it weird that my upper body is gaining some muscle and my torso is getting smaller but my legs and especially legs are getting fatter :(

Someone suggested I do more cardio.. should I do more cardio?

I guess I can eat what I burned off so that I'm not significantly under in my calorie counting?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thank you all for your insightful comments! I haven't really bulked at all in the past, I just did a lot of swimming and martial arts so I would really get "toned". The thing is, I'm not looking to get even more "toned" because I've been pretty skinny with incredibly thin arms throughout my life.

I did not know you gain fat while gaining muscle. I thought it was possible to just gain lean mass muscle and not gain fat in the process.

I just find it weird that my upper body is gaining some muscle and my torso is getting smaller but my legs and especially legs are getting fatter :(

Someone suggested I do more cardio.. should I do more cardio?

I guess I can eat what I burned off so that I'm not significantly under in my calorie counting?

Adding more cardio will not help with reducing your fat on our hips/legs. What cardio will do is increase caloric expenditure, requiring your to eat more to hit a surplus, and will improve your cardiovascular health.

• teamwellness9119
    teamwellness9119 Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ok so a lot of people are saying gaining mass also comes with gaining fat. I didn't know that before. Aw shucks. I was hoping to gain mass muscle without gaining amounts of fat :/ but thank you for your input. If you have suggestions that could balance it all out, feel free to give a shout out. Thanks guys :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ok so a lot of people are saying gaining mass also comes with gaining fat. I didn't know that before. Aw shucks. I was hoping to gain mass muscle without gaining amounts of fat :/ but thank you for your input. If you have suggestions that could balance it all out, feel free to give a shout out. Thanks guys :)
    You can eat a maintenance and train your butt off to add a little muscle at a time. Just realize that it's a LONG ongoing process to see any significant results.
    Also just realize that genetics are something you can't change. If it makes you feel better, you can entirely blame your parents for this!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

We would all love to be able to gain muscle without fat, but it's not how the body works. But that is why post bulk, you should probably transition to maintenance for a few weeks to a month and then do a cut.
  • strip3scat
    strip3scat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    You can't gain muscle and not gain fat, it is impossible.

Also, there is no such thing as lean mass, there is just mass.

You can't control where you add muscle or fat,it just happens.
    I totally do not want to hear this....and too bad...

IT'S TRUE 100%

This is our double edge sword. How big do we want to get given the reality of fat gains along with the muscle?

Do a long bulk, then cut some of the fat. You'll lose some muscle, yes, but you bulked up enough that you still finish with a significant increase in muscle.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    I not inclined to agree with the poster above about his first line. It would seem to me if your calories are correctly matched to your activities and your protein is right, you should be able to gain muscle and not fat, in the same way that when people are cutting they can cut fat and not lose the muscle.

So I am sure its quite difficult to work out the exact right amount of calories and macros to achieve what you want but the perhaps the thing to do is increase your exercise burn so that you don't have any excess calories that can settle on your body as fat.

I do'nt think it would matter what sort of exercise you do. But if you don't want to spend a lot of time on it, then try doing some sprint type exercise ie interval training. Reason being that sprinting burns more calories than slower activities. Its also excellent for increasing your fitness.

23K posts vs barely 1K. I think we know who has the correct information.

• strip3scat
    strip3scat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    aledba wrote: »

23K posts vs barely 1K. I think we know who has the correct information.

I'm not saying either is right, but simply having posted here many times does not guarantee that the information anyone posts is correct.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You can eat a maintenance and train your butt off to add a little muscle at a time. Just realize that it's a LONG ongoing process to see any significant results.

Can you elaborate on this?

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Can you elaborate on this?

Here you go:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat