Low carb diets - there is no way they can limit of 25 to 50 carbs a day?

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I very rarely get my carbs under 150g. I have no clue how people manage it either. I love fruit, veggies and dairy too much!
    It's hard enough getting my calories just right, let a lone stressing over my carb count on top of it...

It really isn't stressful. Struggling to eat more carbs but not too much was more stressful for me.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    7 years ago I lost over 115lbs on a low carb high fiber diet which I maintained until the last 18 months. Since graduating school in May I've had about 35 lbs to re-lose. I've been on MFP for over 100 days now and until 3 days ago I had lost 11ish pounds. Not bad steady progress. However, I was ready to try something different so I'm resulting back to a low carb diet for 15 days to see what happens. Today is the end of day 3 and I feel great. I'm less bloated and not hungry at all.
    So to your questions...
    I eat about 50 carbs per day, 25 grams fiber (25 net carbs)
    A low carb diet to me is 100 grams total per day regardless of fiber. I honestly don't know why I fight this form of eating, because it tends to work best for me out of all other approaches.
    I'm very active, so with 50ish total carbs per day it's easy for me to maintain Ketosis. I too love fruit and veggies, but with 50g carbs i find it easy to get both in. I eat berries and avocados mostly, but whatever I want as long as it fits.
    Again, day 3 and I'm looking forward to the progress I'll make. I have an open diary and you're welcome to add me if you'd like to see what I've been eating. Calories set to 1490 for a slower loss.
  • MyTee150
    MyTee150 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    my Dr suggest that I keep mine under 50, but ive been getting lower and lower, it get easier and easier, I feel better, and I stay satisfied longer
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I was put on a VLCD years ago and kept it under 25g/day. I was having severe reactions to carbs and sugars, putting me to sleep for hours on end. It was actually very easy, easier than it is to keep under 100g now. I was also lifting heavy at the time.
  • jonnybhoy
    jonnybhoy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is what I read in one website. I can't believe it.
    There is no way no one can do this.
    My question:
    In the real world, what is low carb to you?
    Are you doing low carb?
    What is your REAL daily limit?
    I have trouble staying below 150 carbs a day. Hard time just doing that.
    I focus on my calories and I think I'll stick to that.

I am aiming around 100g carbs a day and no added sugar don't get food craving so easier to keep to deficit 23lbs down so far

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Low carb is standardly considered anything that is 20% under of the total calorie intake.

If you're eating 5K- and eating 250 carbs a day- it's probably low carb for you.
    Low carb for me floats around 100 or under.

Most people don't count veggies as low carb- but ultimately eating meat and fat only with no veggies and no bread- is really rough. I eat my body weight in veggies- which means- technically it's not really that low LOL
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    you can eat a pound a day of veg on 20 g/day of carbohydrates (exc fiber) eg Atkins phase 1. That's your 5-a-day taken care of.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    What is low carb to me? A medically necessary diet that keeps me at or under 100 carbs daily unless I've been extra active. It bothers me that people call it a "fad". It isn't a "fad" for those of us with diabetes who want to avoid complications and live healthy lives.
  • quintoespada
    quintoespada Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i almost took op's post personally.

'no way' lmao then explain why i'm losing weight and explain why i can track every single carb i eat to a t without leaving ketosis?

i eat keto because it helps me keep from binge eating, helps with glucose control, and helps with other things related to the way i eat as well as my weight.

i mean, honestly, the one thing ketoers talk about most often is the fact that we used to think the same way you do right now. we were addicted to carbs and sugar and addicted to eating a lot in general.

we wanted to find something that works for us and we did. simple.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I very rarely get my carbs under 150g. I have no clue how people manage it either. I love fruit, veggies and dairy too much!
    It's hard enough getting my calories just right, let a lone stressing over my carb count on top of it...

I love all of that too, I just choose differently now. Berries over watermelon. Greek yogurt over regular. Flatbreads/wraps instead of sandwich bread, almond milk over regular milk for smoothies, and I eat LOTS of vegetables as well.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My soft limit is 30g, although I try to keep it below 20g per day. I'll end today with 9g of net carbs. Granted, my portions right now are about half what they normally would be, so I'd still stay below 30g easily. I feel better without carbs, especially breads and pastas, and limiting those allows me to easily limit my calories without ever being hungry. It's that simple for me.

"Can't." teehee That's funny right there.

ETA: Standard disclaimer... No one should eat the way I'm eating without direction and supervision from a doctor specializing in weight loss.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    My soft limit is 30g, although I try to keep it below 20g per day. I'll end today with 9g of net carbs. Granted, my portions right now are about half what they normally would be, so I'd still stay below 30g easily. I feel better without carbs, especially breads and pastas, and limiting those allows me to easily limit my calories without ever being hungry. It's that simple for me.

considering you're barely eating 1000 calories and you are barely eating any vegetables- it's not really a surprise.

A diet consisting mostly of cheese and meat isn't really carb laden- but no one who actually eats vegetables is going to be able to keep carbs that low. It's not happening.
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am around 30g per day. On a LCHF for ketosis. After about 3 days you don't really miss starch carbs at all. The high fat content in the diet helps you feel full and not deprived. It also killed my sugar cravings. Fat is not bad...just unfortunately named, it as been demonized and people are afraid of it. But eating healthy fat helps a body burn fat. My macros are set to 10% of my daily calories come from carbs thats about 34g but I am usually around 30.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm an odd one I eat VLCHF (very low carb, high fat). I try to keep my intake as close to 0g as possible and no more than 10g of carbs. Absolutely no sugar is allowed due to medical reasons. It's very easy for me and I eat foods that I love to eat.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

considering you're barely eating 1000 calories and you are barely eating any vegetables- it's not really a surprise.

A diet consisting mostly of cheese and meat isn't really carb laden- but no one who actually eats vegetables is going to be able to keep carbs that low. It's not happening.

And right now, that's where my carbs have to be. Once I can eat veggies regularly, I'll get more carbs, but I also subtract the fiber from them, which still will keep me low. It won't keep me as low as I am now, but it'll keep me low and without blood sugar spikes. That's the key long-term. Short term, it's high protein and low carbs!
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options

I do perfectly fine and eat plenty of fruit and veggies. I limit fruit because it has a lot of carbs but I had some strawberries yesterday. Today I had a spinach salad with peppers and other non veggie ingredients for lunch, and dinner is going to be a taco salad with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and other non veggie stuff. I think the total carbs for my dinner including the salsa and sour cream I am topping it with is around 10 carbs. It is absolutely possible to eat veggies and be low carb. You can't eat high sugar fruits like apples and bananas, but berries are fine in small amounts.

• mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Also, I wouldn't be too worried about counting calories, only your macros (fats/carbs/proteins), unless, of course you just started.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

That's really not true about the vegetables; if it's a priority even the lowest carb diets have room for fruits and vegetables. You -- and anyone else -- can get an idea of what I mean by looking at your own fruits and vegetables. I think it might surprise some how negligible the carb counts are. For example from your diary:

Sunday: 58g Total | 51g Net
    Bananas, Blackberries

Monday: 14g Total | 8g Net
    Stir-fry Veggies, Blackberries, Tomato, Green Pepper, Onion, Jalepeno

Tuesday: 38 Total | 25 Net
    Stir-fry Veggies, Black Beans, Blackberries, Tomato, Green Pepper, Onion, Jalepeno,

Now imagine how many vegetables you could eat if you were mindful of the carb counts and chose more low carb friendly options... it's a lot. Low carb is not low vegetable by necessity.
  • sleepypapa
    sleepypapa Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have read the Atkins book and Protein Power book years ago. I think a diet that limits cancer fighting fruits and vegetables to be counterintuitive. I think the main thing is to stay away from processed foods.
    I have worked with guys who have done the low carb diets and they do lose weight......then they get moody and weird.......and then they gain all the weight back plus some.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The milk in my tea I had this morning added up to 15g carbs! :open_mouth:

To all you low carbers, I really do admire you :+1: