Going cold turkey on chocolate forever

Options
I seriously hate myself, I can't control my chocolate cravings. I don't have a problem with savoury crisps. I live in hostel/college where there is a vending machine. If there is money in my wallet, 100% of the time I will go down and get me some chocolate.

The problem is, I usually go for a run, eat clean for the first half of the day, then ruin my night with chocolate (exceeding my calorie intake). I hate myself and I can't stop this damn addiction. The only solution for me is to go cold turkey on chocolate because once I have a taste of chocolate, I can't resist it. Has anyone given up chocolate completely and how are they going along with it?

Replies

• kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I eat dark chocolate instead and limit myself to a few blocks. And if I really have cravings, I will drink hot chocolate if I don't have enough calories in the day to eat a whole bar. But if I had enough, I would factor it in with my calories for the day. :flowerforyou:
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I love chocolate too!
    Add me and maybe we can try to get over this chocolate addiction together. Chocolate is usually what makes me go over my calories too.
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    Like the previous poster, I find that very dark chocolate (I have a 25g bar every day) hits the craving but somehow I don't feel the need to keep pigging on it like with milk chocolate. It's an acquired taste but now I don't actually like milk chocolate that much. I've tried cold turkey in the past but it never lasted more than a month and then ended in a binge.
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have found that I can retrain my cravings by abstaining for a few days and my big thing is not drinking sweet drinks at all. Which means water, milk etc. My vise is my HUGE cup of coffee with sugar in it in the morning.

But if you are eating it only once a day. Plan on it , log it and work it into your routine. You can take all the sugar out of your life. Well you could but that's not fun.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon..... vanilla.....peppermint..... all 3 smells alone can trick your mind into thinking it had something sweet to eat.
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Fellow chocolate addict here. Feel your pain and I'm very similar with healthy / clean eating / exercise during the day then falling off the wagon in the evening.

My diary is open so have a glance.

I dont believe in giving up anything that I like - personally for me it would never work, I'd binge whenever I felt low or naughty! And you shouldn't hate yourself, EVERYONE has the odd naughty treat that they love, i'm sure people will agree, its just that some people are better (more experienced, more driven) at resisting it and keeping it in moderation.

Instead of going cold turkey, generally, I've been trying to introduce lower GI recipes, for example Sweet Potato chocolate cake, with dark chocolate, almond flour and fruit sugar. OK... its still naughty - about 360 calories per slice, but its low in Sat Fat and has low refined sugar, so its a step in the right direction - tastes great too i tried it on a few friends and none of them realised it had anything but the regular ingredients in. Among others I've also tried were Pistachio chocolate lava cakes - about 220 calories per cake.

I also try and keep within my calories, so if I know i'm going out for a meal, or likely to have a dessert at night, I do keep my calories lower throughout the day, especially sugar, so I can indulge later.

My next aim is to change my habit of eating a dessert every day - so that I can confidently say I eat it only say, once a week, or if daily, then in very small amounts (e.g. 2 pieces dark chocolate). That's my current goal.

I'm always trying new recipes and new ways of making dessert healthier / lower GI, so if you want to friend me and join me feel free!

Edited - I think there is some refined sugar in dark chocolate, but only a small amount
  • zinatara
    zinatara Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey for a while, but now I eat chocolate again in moderation. I also have chocolate protein bars that I can have after a work out. I keep it within my calories and try to buy small chocolate bars instead of large ones or mulitpacks.
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would suggest, instead of totally giving up chocolate and depriving yourself of something you enjoy to move to "nicer" chocolates as opposed to what vending machines stock. For instance, I LOVE Mr Goodbar...those are so yummy but I will eat the whole bar and still want more. So what I do instead is buy some Godiva chocolates or the Lindor truffles (oh so so yummy!!!) but they are richer than a "candy bar" so honestly once you have just 1 or even 2 of those choclates, you have had your fill. Yes you are still getting the calories; however, I do not find myself craving more after I have 1 or 2 Lindor truffles.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I always binged on chocolate/biscuits and still sometimes do. I went cold turkey for a week and it made a massive difference as now I'm not as bothered. Its's hard at first though. I eat chocolate now a few times a week.

I wouldn't suggest it long term but would defo do for a week and see how you feel?
  • Adrasteis
    Adrasteis Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mbl0htEvLT1r9g4gho1_400.jpg

You wanna do what about Chocolate?
  • Maija1985
    Maija1985 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love dark 70% chocolate with raspberry pieces :wink: 25g usually do the trick :happy: Options hot choolate drink helps too :smile:
  • battyg13
    battyg13 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I usually buy the Lindt 85% cocoa dark chocolate.

Can only have a few squares of that because it is so rich.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey on chocolate, sweets, biscuits and crisps in January and didn't taste chocolate again until Easter in April. Had a bit of an out of control binge for 5 days but felt so rough I swore off it again. Now however I control my chocolate cravings rather than the other way around. And I enjoy it when I eat it but don't need it every day

I make a conscious decision to buy it and enjoy it.!
  • DonnaW_78
    DonnaW_78 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    No point going cold-turkey on anything - it'll come back to bite you & you'll overindulge eventually. I agree with the dark chocolate - lindt is especially delish. Also the 98% fat-free hot chocolate sachets that you mix with hot water are fantastic. Good luck!
  • callieboom
    callieboom Posts: 30
    Options
    I LOVE CHOCOLATE. I definitely agree with everyone else who says to buy dark chocolate, you won't binge on it, it's much easier to have a couple of pieces and leave it in the cupboard for when you next have a craving.

Also low calorie hot chocolate drinks are my saviour, I'm sure they can't be good for you but having one of those mid afternoon when I'm lagging certainly helps curb the desire to go buy & demolish a whole packet of chocolate biscuits.

I also make protein bars with dark chocolate chips in them, which not only helps with my chocolate craving but gives me a protein fix for the day!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Learning to moderate your eating of ANY food is the key to success. If you love chocolate that much, then denying yourself any is going to backfire on you big time. Buy only a small amount each day and work it into your calories for the day.

Being successful at weight loss is about learning to eat the right foods to keep you at a healthy weight. The road is paved with tons of people who have denied all their cravings and lost weight. And then gained it back once they started eating normally again. Do yourself a favor and learn to do it right from the beginning. Good luck!
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Not forever but 21 days!

I gave up chocolate (and sugar in my tea) in Jan 13 and it wasn't until after Easter I decided I was disciplined enough to try and introduce chocolate again. I tested myself by buying a mini Ritter Sport bar (it has just 4 small squares). I ate 2 squares and put the remaining 2 in a cupboard for another day. This gave me a huge sense of achievement. This sense of achievement gave me such a buzz and was was far more rewarding than stuffing my face with a whole big bar. I found I wanted to experience this "buzz" again more than the "urgh" feeling I used to get after eating too much chocolate in one go. I found, after abstaining for a while, I was able to confidently buy the occasional mini choc bar and eat just 2 squares and put the rest aside. I'd much rather enjoy a piece of my favourite choc i.e. Ritter Sport, than eat dark choc.

I was informed by my sister that it takes 21 days to break a habit, any habit. If you can go 21 days without eating any chocolate, I have every confidence you'll feel differently about chocolate. I don't crave chocolate no more but it's in my life and I really, really enjoy it when I allow myself to have it :happy:

Give it a go, 21 days, that's all :smile:
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I seriously hate myself, I can't control my chocolate cravings. I don't have a problem with savoury crisps. I live in hostel/college where there is a vending machine. If there is money in my wallet, 100% of the time I will go down and get me some chocolate.

The problem is, I usually go for a run, eat clean for the first half of the day, then ruin my night with chocolate (exceeding my calorie intake). I hate myself and I can't stop this damn addiction. The only solution for me is to go cold turkey on chocolate because once I have a taste of chocolate, I can't resist it. Has anyone given up chocolate completely and how are they going along with it?

I am a chocolate addict and I say that in a serious fashion. I used to replace meals with chocolate, eat numerous bars per day and each day would get considerably worse with cravings.

What I did was set myself a date, whether that was the next day or the following Monday, but it had to be a definite "start date". I would build up mentally, in my head, that from that day on, chocolate was out, no more. I would binge the day before, but the next day was "the" day, no excuses.

Then come the day, chocolate was pushed out of my mind, the first day was difficult and becomes very tempting, more than tempting actually, it is very difficult. The second day is slightly easier as is the third day. By the fourth day the cravings had gone and thereafter I was fine.

However, here is a dire warning: do not think that if after even several months of chocolate-free zone, you can go back to eating chocolate and think you will once again be able to control it, because in my experience, that never happens. All that occurs is gradual chocolate "treats", then "oh just the one (or two) won't hurt" and then you are on full blast binges, again.

Some people will tell you that just a square or two per day will cure your cravings, but that is not possible if it is a genuine chocolate addiction. Those couple of squares would not be anywhere near enough and will start off the cravings again.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I usually buy the Lindt 85% cocoa dark chocolate.

Can only have a few squares of that because it is so rich.

See, this is what I mean - I can eat massive bars of that, in one sitting :(. Hence I went cold turkey.
  • jardin12
    jardin12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    For me, a little bit of chocolate equals a lot. The more I have the more I want so there is no such thing as a few squares. Stay off sugar altogether - it gets easier...everytime you go back to it you will hate it more. Sad but true - sugar is addictive I'm sure. I know a lady who is huge and she just can't stop herself from eating chocolate. Now her little daughter has the same habit and basically hunts down anything sweet in the house (and she is becoming very overweight also) - very sad. Change what you do in the evenings - go for a walk, do a yoga class, meet a friend for coffee, whatever it takes. Goodluck. xx