Going cold turkey on chocolate forever

Options

Replies

• Desdemonad
    Desdemonad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am a sugar chocolate addict and I find doing the twelve step program, Over-eaters Anonymous can really help keep you on track. like alcohol you need to give it up for good. Every one in the O.A. is struggling with some addiction to food, ts a great support environment. Check it out for meeting near you online.
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Learning to moderate your eating of ANY food is the key to success. If you love chocolate that much, then denying yourself any is going to backfire on you big time. Buy only a small amount each day and work it into your calories for the day.

Being successful at weight loss is about learning to eat the right foods to keep you at a healthy weight. The road is paved with tons of people who have denied all their cravings and lost weight. And then gained it back once they started eating normally again. Do yourself a favor and learn to do it right from the beginning. Good luck!

+1 well said and so true. i never deny having a treat, it just has to fit within my calorie goals. without the desserts, id go insane!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey for a month then I was able to stick to a normal serving size.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    :huh: :noway:
  • Librariangetsfit
    Librariangetsfit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I found a chocolate protein shake I liked and gave up eating real chocolate for a couple of months. It helped me control my cravings and I was able to reset my thinking, so eating a normal serving was satisfying. I used BSN chocolate milkshake after my workouts.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Hi. I don't think I could ever give up chocolate and I don't really have a reason why.

f-turkey-dark_1.jpg
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a bad time.

Go for the darkest chocolate you can stand, dark enough that you know you won't binge on it. And simply don't keep any other kinds of chocolate around.
  • super_J73
    super_J73 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I could never give up chocolate. Moderation is the key, and low cal snacks! :-)
  • nomoredoughnuts
    nomoredoughnuts Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I switched to dark chocolate and had 2-3 blocks a day. It made me so much happier and I never crave chocolate any more. :)

Restricting something in your diet will make you crave it more. There is no reason you can't eat a few blocks of chocolate, unless you are diabetic or allergic to chocolate. Which in the first case you can find diabetic-friendly chocolate too.

I used to spend 10-12 hours of my day in a studio where there was no available food past 2pm other than the crisps and chocolate bars in the vending machine. Apart from the obvious lunch I had to pack, I needed snacks to keep me from craving the chocolate bars and crisps. I found I loved cashews, almonds and dark chocolate. I would pack 8 cashews, 10 almonds and 2 small squares of dark chocolate. Relatively low in calories and kept me happy.
  • egnirysbust
    egnirysbust Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is one of my biggest downfalls too. Lately I've been eating pre-packaged yogurt with chocolate pieces in it so that I can still get my chocolate fix and not go overboard and eat too much of it. Maybe you can try eating low-fat chocolate pudding as well.
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thats awful punishment! I couldnt live knowing Id never have a bar again why not get the smallest one you can like a Freddo thats what I always do if I need a chocolate bar,funnily I just realised my taste for chocolate isint like it was I used to have a bar every day of the week now its just the odd time,your problem is its right in front of you,thats hard on anyone!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I seriously hate myself, I can't control my chocolate cravings.

Are you sure you're not hypoglycemic to some degree?

Besides being obviously palatable chocolate is perfect if you are looking for a "sugar hit" which indicates your circulating glucose levels are not stable.

Don't hate yourself - sounds like you are human to me.

Look into a GI/GL diet. Whilst there are by no means perfect concepts they will help you structure your eating to minimise your cravings and give yourself better control.
  • drinknderive
    drinknderive Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you cut chocolate out completely, you're asking for an insane chocolate binge at some point in the future. I eat dark chocolate several nights per week within my macros, and it doesn't cause me any problems. Just eat healthier chocolate in moderation.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Nevermind what I said--you are currently at the low end of the BMI scale (18) and aiming for being underweight. You should not be restricting calories.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate every single day, I don't want to live in a world without it.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I eat "real" chocolate in moderation - candy bars, cookies, etc. I've found healthier chocolatey items that help me satisfy my cravings (for those nights when I just REALLY want more chocolate flavor but don't have too many calories available), such as fudge pops (40 calories per pop!!!), low fat chocolate milk, chocolate flavored protein bars, etc.

For me, it would not be at all realistic to ban any items from my diet. I love food too much :) I'd rather stick with moderation for the most part, as that's something I feel I will be able to stick with. I'd definitely relapse and binge if I tried to ban chocolate from my diet completely; it's just not realistic for me.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Before everyone jumps down my throat for this, I don't think it's a good idea for everyone to cut out sugar--I myself eat ice cream on a daily basis now. But if it is a matter of adherence for you, it's worth trying.

I don't know why anyone would jump down your throat for it.

It's good and sensible advice in view.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Before everyone jumps down my throat for this, I don't think it's a good idea for everyone to cut out sugar--I myself eat ice cream on a daily basis now. But if it is a matter of adherence for you, it's worth trying.

I don't know why anyone would jump down your throat for it.

It's good and sensible advice in view.

Actually, I just edited my post in light of add'l information about OP's current weight. I don't think she should be restricting calories at her current weight.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I eat dark chocolate instead and limit myself to a few blocks.
    This has been working really well for me. Although I had 6 blocks last night (but I made room in my calories). Dark Chocolate doesn't make me go off the rails and want to eat the whole thing like milk.

Oh, the other thing if you want a really decadent dessert you can make chocolate pots de creme, which is a lot of calories if you eat a ton but I can make a teeny tiny teacup and it is really rich and chocolatey and kill the cravings dead.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist actually recommended Ghirardelli Sea Salt Soiree. It's an intense dark chocolate with sea salt and almond pieces and it is heavenly!! I can 'usually' satisfy a chocolate craving with one square and it's minimal calories for one square.

I tried cold turkey once. It lasted about 3 weeks and then I made chocolate chip cookies for my kids and that was that, lol