Unwanted Attention

Options
13»

Replies

• rolandhulme
    rolandhulme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think it's always a good idea to play it safe - but to defend my own gender, there are a lot of guys out there who simply don't have a clue. They don't get that they're 'creepy' and don't respond to social cues that would be bloomin' obvious to the rest of us.

In all honesty, it's the non-creepy ones you've got to watch for. Ted Bundy got away with his crimes because he was charming, sincere and appeared utterly trustworthy.
  • loseitmama
    Options
    At least you have mace just in case!!
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I think it's always a good idea to play it safe - but to defend my own gender, there are a lot of guys out there who simply don't have a clue. They don't get that they're 'creepy' and don't respond to social cues that would be bloomin' obvious to the rest of us.

In all honesty, it's the non-creepy ones you've got to watch for. Ted Bundy got away with his crimes because he was charming, sincere and appeared utterly trustworthy.

Ironic isn't it? The one's you feel comfortable around are the ones you should be worried about.

I think the key is to be pro-active and gather enough information upfront so you can properly assess your situation. There's no harm in asking him why he wants to know whether you consistently come to the gym at 10. If he's staring allot, you could be upfront and ask him, "Pardon me, but I notice you staring at me, is there something I'm doing wrong? Is my form off in this exercise or something?"

As it was mentioned before, most guys are creepy I guess, b/c they don't go over and over in their heads the right way they should present themselves to everyone around them. The ones who do that are either terribly self-conscious to the point where it drives them crazy inside, or do it intentionally to gain a person's trust and disarm them. Really, the only real "creepy" thing he did was ask you that one question, and if someone asks you something like that, before politely replying, you have a right to ask them why they want to know.

The more you show strength and confidence towards creepy people, the more you get them to put a check on their creepiness and make your life a little easier.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

ha, how very true indeed! Same thing with pedophiles, you can't pick one out in a crowd (ok, so there are som EXTRA creepy looking ones) but you make a very good point, it is the nice guy at times that you would never suspect because he gains your trust.

Dang sometimes it seems you men don't have a chance do you? I feel bad for you all, we can judge you pretty harshly at times, um, glad I'm a girl, though it comes with a set of it's own issues but nonetheless.

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • Jennili7
    Jennili7 Posts: 50
    Options
    I'm really bad at guessing ages Casper and if I had to guess I'd put him in his late 20's and I'm creeping up on mid-20's so that's not a very big gap. It gets exhausting being paranoid about my safety all of the time but I wouldn't want to be any other way. As far as changing my schedule I've gone at 9:00 and today I went around 7:30 after I got home from work and he was there...:noway: I guess he wanted to change his schedule too. All I can really do is keep doing what I'm doing and try not to worry about it. If I want to go after dinner then I'll drag my sister along and if I got before dinner then there will be people there. I've only entertained the thought of getting up extra early to workout before going into work......:sad: We'll see......
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    So what % of the male pop do you figure has a murder/rape hobby? Ya' think it's half? 15%?... It's more like 0.001% or something. And the 'creepy' thing? He has no idea. He's just a guy, a harmless little D'bag who doesn't see himself as the villain a lot of folks here seem to think he is. The creepy is completely your perception.

I'm a little senstitive about this,,, 'cause I'm a really nice guy. Family man, grandpa, teacher. I shave my head 'cause bald looks better than balding, and I'm kind'a muscular cause I take care of myself. I give a lot of people the creeps, I've been called "scary", "intimidating",, all that stuff. No reason at all. I pick up spiders and carry them outside, I cry at movies, I'm a $*%in' Teddy Bear.

Be on your guard,,, but the odds are really really good that he's just a guy who thought you were cute. Have your BF join you for one workout, and let him see him, and the odds are good he'll never glance at you again.